Why is Offline/Downloaded notes so &*%! awful?!!

BrooklynBen

Idea

I have an m1 iPad 11", and an iPhone 12, both running the latest versions of iOS and Evernote. Both set to download everything.  Here I am at home, with both cellular and wifi connection... and I can't access a single note (apparently, this time, because of DNS issues?) 

WHY WHY WHY if I have downloaded everything for offline access... is my access to downloaded notes dependent on a connection, or on Evernote's servers? That's not offline access at all! Again, not talking sync. Talking about just access.

I've had this so issue so many times in the last few months, and it's infuriating. I selected "download all notebooks" because I need all my stuff available OFFLINE. 
So fix your terminology to quit misleading people into thinking "download" means you're actually downloading for offline access, and you can expect to see them.

When it says "download all notebooks" it doesn't mean it AT ALL. 

• Like 1

4 replies to this idea

• Level 5

It is an iOS issue (probably because they want to avoid draining the battery by background jobs) that downloading from the EN server is cut a short time after you stop actively using the app. So if you have a larger database, it will take a long time to download the offline stuff.

I managed to download „all“ doing this:

• Pick a time when you don’t need the iDevice for some hours, like during the night
  • Go to iOS settings, Display & Brightness and set Autolockscreen to never
  • Open the EN app, if not yet done select the notebooks you want to download. Setting to „All notebooks“ worked for me, but caused a slower download, maybe because the parallel download takes longer than sequentially one notebook after the other.
  • Now keep the app in the foreground, letting it run and download. I put my device on the charger to avoid running it down, and lowered my screen brightness through the control center to minimum. It is important EN stays in the foreground !

The next morning you can control the download status in the „offline“ settings screen. If necessary, repeat. My full download took 3 days (nights). The updating of new content happens since while I use the app, this is pretty fast.

A final hint: When you log out, you loose the offline content. It is then downloading again - so take care what you do if somebody tells „logout“ as a problem solution.

On 7/26/2021 at 10:15 PM, PinkElephant said:

It wasn’t anything like fast for me neither, but it worked.

25GB took about 3 nights last time I had to go through that procedure. This on an iPad Pro with a Gigabit internet connection and fast 5GHz WiFi.

In the mean time, everything has been downloaded on my Android phone, but my offline search sometimes returns a fraction of the online result list.  Does your offline search works as expected?