Recurring reminders and tasks

Ken423

Idea

Why recurring reminders and tasks aren't available in an app like Evernote is beyond me. That's an "obvious no brainer". That missing feature a show stopper. No need to look for whatever amazing features it might have due to the absence of that feature. 

• Like 3

13 replies to this idea

I was very excited to see that this has been released and is listed here https://evernote.com/blog/whats-next-for-tasks/ as "delivered". I added it to my home page and it lasted about 30 seconds before I removed it. What is the point of a seeing a selection of tasks over which I have no control (unless I'm missing something). In my case it has decided to just list the tasks from one note - none of which are dated. Dated and overdue tasks are missing. Very disappointed. Also disappointed that it doesn't seem to have been beta tested by those of us who were in the tasks beta/early access programs and  collectively dedicated many hours of effort to tasks.

• Sad 1
  • Ex Employees

@Mike P The Tasks widget uses some specific criteria for what to display within the widget. The main driver for the content is due dates. Without getting into the exact criteria, you should expect to see the most important and immediately relevant tasks at the top. Overdue, due soon, flagged, etc. If you are getting non-dated tasks while dated and overdue are missing, this sounds like a bug.

Are you able to provide screenshots showing the widget and the due tasks that are not showing up (like a screenshot from the Tasks view)? Feel free to block out task titles if it is private.

If you're more comfortable, you can reach out to me privately and we can discuss further and track this issue down. Thanks!

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Scott T. said:

@Mike P The Tasks widget uses some specific criteria for what to display within the widget. The main driver for the content is due dates. Without getting into the exact criteria, you should expect to see the most important and immediately relevant tasks at the top. Overdue, due soon, flagged, etc. If you are getting non-dated tasks while dated and overdue are missing, this sounds like a bug.

Are you able to provide screenshots showing the widget and the due tasks that are not showing up (like a screenshot from the Tasks view)? Feel free to block out task titles if it is private.

If you're more comfortable, you can reach out to me privately and we can discuss further and track this issue down. Thanks!

My preference would still be to be able to decide myself which tasks appear in the widget. However, if that isn't going to happen, your criteria do sound sensible. Unfortunately I am still only getting undated tasks mainly from one particular note.

image.png.1ec81f07f65ef2d7c4096f14dca2acf9.png

In the tasks view:

image.png.abd3b5b61f2ec9e32bba7ac33a765889.png

Exactly the same behaviour on both Windows desktop and web versions. I'm relieved that it is a bug (not a major design flaw!) so I hope it can get sorted soon. I can't use EN as my main task manager until recurring tasks are implemented but when they are the tasks widget will be really useful.

• Ex Employees
7 hours ago, Mike P said:

My preference would still be to be able to decide myself which tasks appear in the widget.

I'll see if I can get this into our roadmap. I think it would be valuable for people to set up a custom filter/sort for a Tasks widget.

7 hours ago, Mike P said:

I can't use EN as my main task manager until recurring tasks are implemented

We're working on it.

Regarding the bug, I'll reach out to you in a private message since it would be useful to get your logs to review. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the timely reminder, ChristianJB. I expect that recurring tasks will be coming soon (my guess would be by end of Northern Hemisphere's summer).

A quick plug for one other item on the "what's next for tasks" list - multiple flags. For my personal use case, recurring tasks would be useful for home tasks, less so for work tasks. But multiple flags would be useful every day, as long as I could filter the Task List to display only flags of a particular color. That would be a perfect way to distinguish home from work tasks; there's one other major project that I do that I would assign a third flag color. There are workarounds (e.g. putting info or a special character in the name of a task), but multiple flags would make a HUGE difference to the usefulness of the Tasks feature for me.

If there were enough flag colors (10-15, as PinkElephant suggested elsewhere, would be more than enough), I could use the flags both for distinguishing home from work tasks and for giving particular tasks the highest priority. So, for example, red flag could be highest priority (#1-Now in GTD); blue flag could be work; green flag could be home. So if I could show tasks with red and green or red and blue flags, I would be set!

That said - from Early Access to now I have found Tasks immensely helpful. Maybe I should have been using a tasks app all along (I probably would have chosen Todoist), but what's in EN Tasks now, combined with what's coming, should be enough for my needs.

Recurring tasks is something that will decide wether we can use this software or not. Running an SEO agency, we have a lot of recurring tasks. We prefer the way that Planyway+Google Calendar works. It is a perfect system. Planyway will auto-generate recurring tasks for us, that display in Google Calendar, and even the label colors are reflected in Google Calendar. 

Essentially, Evernote should do exactly what Google Calendar can do with recurring tasks. But Planyway in Trello, we've found to be the best task planning yet, however, we are in the market for using a new SaaS for our agency and teams.

Is there a possible ETA for recurring tasks in Evernote?

• Thanks 1

Hi everyone, 

First I want to say that I like the task feature in Evernote very much and I use it now as my default task manager. 

There is only one thing which is missing and I would like to suggest as a feature request: Being able to create recurrent tasks. Let´s say you have to remember paying a bill every month and you would like to add this to your TODO. 

Thanks for all the development in Evernote. 

Regards,

Esteban Vöhringer

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Esteban Vohringer said:

Being able to create recurrent tasks.

Merged with an ongoing discussion    
To indicate support for this request, use the vote button at the top left corner of the discussion