Cannot upgrade plan to Evernote Professional

Hakan Bayındır

Idea

Hello all,

Today, I wanted to upgrade my Evernote account to the newly announced "Evernote Professional", but failed to do so. I'm an Evernote user since 2013 and managing my subscription via Mac App Store since eternity. Here's the procedure and what's happening.

First, I tried to change the plan directly:

1. Open macOS App Store.
  2. Go to account (left bottom corner)
  3. Go to View Information (middle link at the top right triplet)
  4. Go to "Manage Subscriptions" (at the last triplet: reviews, subscriptions, whatnot)
  5. Find Evernote from the list, click edit.
  6. Select Evernote Professional, Annual
  7. Click "Done"
  8. Authenticate (TouchID → Confirm → Username → Password).
  9. Screen closes, no errors, Still Evernote Premium (Annual).

Then, I tried to cancel the subscription (so, I thought I can resubscribe):

1. Open macOS App Store.
  2. Go to account (left bottom corner)
  3. Go to View Information (middle link at the top right triplet)
  4. Go to "Manage Subscriptions" (at the last triplet: reviews, subscriptions, whatnot)
  5. Find Evernote from the list, click edit.
  6. Click "Cancel Subscription".
  7. Confirm.
  8. Screen closes, no errors, Still Evernote Premium (Annual), now with an expiration date (as intended).

Further Notes:

• If I try to resubscribe, process goes like the first one, but again fails silently. I'm still seeing my Premium subscription with an expiration date.
  • I can't upgrade via Evernote directly, since there's an active iTunes based subscription.
  • The following line appears in the App Store logs after trying to subscribe/resubscibe:
  • AMSMarketingItemTask: [A7A9C590] === Failed === -> error = Error Domain=AMSErrorDomain Code=7 "No marketing items found" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=No marketing items found, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Found no marketing items for the given account}

Ideally, I want to upgrade to Evernote Professional via iTunes / macOS App Store, since it allows me to track everything centrally, but at the end of the day, I want to be able to upgrade.

All help is very welcome,

Regards,

H

23 replies to this idea

Yes, I spent far too much time on the phone with Apple about this problem and also posted here about it.  Support options from Evernote itself are appallingly poor.  What a mess.  It's simply inexcusable.  All the people in charge are totally clueless.  I just want to upgrade from Plus to Personal.  I want to actually give them more money but they can't process the transaction..

The ability to open support tickets is also broken for paying customers, I just tried filling a support ticket for issues with calendar integration.

Screenshot from 2021-07-22 17-22-18.png

Edited by zamodain
Added screen shot

I retried the upgrade process again, and it went through. However, my account info didn't change on my account page, so I chatted with Evernote support just now. All is well.

It seems, the upgrade is being rolled out step by step, so everything will sort itself out in a day or two. 

Last Update: Lo and behold, everything sorted itself out. I'm using professional now.

I can't upgrade to professional - gives me the following - you are ineligible to upgrade to Professional while on a gift subscription.

I have no idea what gift subscription is or I don't remember ever getting one

On 7/23/2021 at 5:08 AM, indyjcarr said:

I can't upgrade to professional - gives me the following - you are ineligible to upgrade to Professional while on a gift subscription.

I have no idea what gift subscription is or I don't remember ever getting one

I think you should talk with Evernote support via the link: https://www.evernote.com/SupportLogin.action

I also have this problem: 'You are ineligible to upgrade to Professional while on a Gift subscription.'  I don't even know what a gift subscription is.  I've been a Premium member since 2010.

When I try to use the Help function, or use the Evernote support link, I get automatically logged out.

I tried to upgrade from Plus to Personal via the Windows app (which opens a web page for the transaction) this afternoon and got all the way through to confirming the PayPal recurring annual subscription and was then sent back to a blank Evernote web page. The subscription has not registered on PayPal and I am still being prompted to upgrade but trying again takes me straight to the blank Evernote web page so something has happened just not sure what.

Reading the other comments it appears to be a general problem with the upgrade process. I have raised a support ticket.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Have you been in contact with support about it ?

What was posted in other threads was that the upgrade was booked by subscribing (typically for a year). Through EN support a refund for the unused part of the old subscription was initiated. I am not aware how this works with the different methods of payment.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

Have you been in contact with support about it ?

What was posted in other threads was that the upgrade was booked by subscribing (typically for a year). Through EN support a refund for the unused part of the old subscription was initiated. I am not aware how this works with the different methods of payment.

After upgrading my subscription through iTunes, Apple refunded my old subscription's unused part in a few days. 

• Thanks 1

After a bit of to-ing and fro-ing with Evernote I was 'downgraded' to 'Free' and was then able to upgrade to 'Personal'. Evernote Billing then refunded the balance of my previous subscription.

All worked out in the end but it does seem that there is a problem with therr process whereby you are not able to upgrade from one of the older plans to a new one. Apparently the problem was with the way that I paid (annual recurring PayPal)!! Can't think that is breaking new ground.

• Thanks 1

Same issue.  Tech support instructs me do downgrade to free (will that fry notes over the "free" stipulated max size?) to become eligible to purchase "Pro".  "Premium" seems to have evaporated from the options.  Tech support insists that my current "subscription" was a "Gift Subscription" from my old Evernote Business account (nonsense, I briefly tried Biz, gave up in despair, never actuated a "gift subscription" at any time).  Willing to go through this idiotic exercise, but fear frying large notes in the process.

• Level 5

A while ago I went twice through a Premium - Free cycle, when I switched from a paid subscription to one paid with EN points and back. It went smooth both times, no problems.

All notes stay on. You can even open them all while on Free, you just can’t modify notes larger than 25MB any more. The changes won’t upload.

• Evernote Expert
8 hours ago, Schooner said:

Willing to go through this idiotic exercise, but fear frying large notes in the process.

Downgrading does not affect notes already in your account. But while you are downgraded to Free you will be subject to free limits on relation to changes to notes, uploading etc. So don't edit a larger note until you have returned to your new Professional or Personal plan.

OK, so I obey Tech Support's weird email - have to cancel to upgrade - and I am now a non-subscriber.  As directed I log in to website and attempt on billing page to upgrade to Professional.  Red warning declares:  YOUR SUBSCRIPTION IS CURRENTLY CANCELED AND YOUR ACCOUNT IS NOT ELIGIBLE FOR UPGRADE AT THIS TIME.  PLEASE CONTACT CUSTOMER SUPPORT IF YOU REQUIRE ASSISTANCE.

God help me, this is torture.  All I want is to continue EN premium (or closest current version thereto).  Did I do something horrible in a past life?

• Level 5

Maybe you stepped on that ant yesterday, and it was a reborn somebody (pick a family member of your choice).

No, the problem here is probably the canceled subscription. My subscription is not canceled, and I could upgrade any time. The same is true for a Free user who want to join the ranks of subscribers. But a canceled subscription first needs to expire, if I remember correctly.

Your current subscription is probably still running until it terminates. Check your status, in account information. It probably is not Free, but one of the subscriptions.

If this is the fact, then just let it expire. Then subscribe again, the closest to the old Premium is now the Personal plan.

If you are in a hurry, contact support.

The core issue seems to be that now-killed "subscription" was a "gift subscription" according to Customer Service.  At no time have a I solicited, received or accepted a gift subscription, but that doesn't matter - some sort of reverse-takeover arising from a long-forgotten EN business account was apparently used to "gift" my longstanding account it's present existence.  Customer Service assured me that cancellation/downgrade would solve the issue.  It doesn't.  I suppose one among the penalties for following Customer Service instructions to the letter is - I no longer qualify for "premium support".  Have replied to CS begging for emergency assist/fix but I guess the only hope is to export EN notes, start a new subscription under a new email address and import all, with all the ruinous implications that entails (lost tags/dates etc.).

• Level 5

Have you checked your account status yet ?

What does it say ? Free ? I doubt it.

As long as you are on a canceled, but still running subscription, AFAIK you can't upgrade to whatever new subscription. The old one is probably a rebated Premium, that did not auto-upgrade, and needs to expire first.

To reach support, you can try this link, and select "Account" as ticket type.

PE I sense that you "get it".  I don't.  Account status now reads "Personal".  Online chat agent insists that is valid 1 year fwd.  Still refuses upgrade.  Still reports "canceled" in the refusal msg.  A bit like life as an illegal immigrant I guess - I'm "here" but persona-non-grata and on borrowed time.  Not instantly clear why being a faithfully-paying 12-year subscriber to Premium attracted this penalty.

• Level 5

If this is your goal

All I want is to continue EN premium (or closest current version thereto).

then you did everything right: Personal is the current equivalent to the former Premium subscription. In this case enjoy your life, everything worked out. If it is good for another year it means you have just upgraded, and the subscription is running.

If I go to my account information, I see this, and I could upgrade to Professional if I wanted by the green button I highlighted:

B0626345-9D3D-48DB-A300-47BB6FF4A4FF.thumb.jpeg.2743f28b4e693268ff8b58d930850dae.jpeg

Hello PE,

Since you shared your screen, I'll share mine.  I do have that big green button on the right... but when clicking on it brings me the same results reported by Schooner:

1712210778_2021-11-09_00-28-57(2).png.2d5451b03def3a0e7b1786ba08649173.png

But with this result:

image.png.7dbff782d4edfb2c97c241c0d368aa9d.png

I did try to contact the support, and they told me they informed the billing department... I guess they are not in a hurry to renew subscription... with upgrades...

Mike

Used to be a proud member since 2013... but getting tired of this and looking for replacement soon

image.png

• Level 5

If your subscription was canceled, there was a problem reported with upgrading in other threads. Something like „the canceled subscription First needs to run until it’s end, and only then can be renewed on any level“. Which, I think would not be very wise, because some people canceled their running subscription because they thought it would be necessary to upgrade.

Your best way is in fact totally to support. We are only users here, no access to account & billing information.

P.S. You are using a nice font there, but it made it hard for me to find your own words between the screenshots.