Using alt key + n opens a new note when Evernote is not open.

The Alt key + "n" is to give me the "n" with the tilde above "ñ" which is from the menu of the English International keyboard which I use constantly.

This morning every time I try to use that combination, a new note opens in Evernote.  I eventually thought of the solution to go to Task manager.  Evernote was running even though I had closed it.  I had used it earlier.  I closed the application from there and now I do not have the problem.

Is this situation normal?

Thank you.

21 hours ago, DandZ said:

Is this situation normal?

Yes. EN has some global keyboard shortcuts that work even if you are not actively in EN. They can all be disabled or changed. Just open the keyboard shortcuts menu (help -> keyboard shortcuts or ctrl+/) and modify them as you see fit.

However it  should be alt + ctrl + N not alt + N. alt + N desn't do anything for me.

image.png.a607cd8c63761056b471fedfda3d7dfb.png

"However it  should be alt + ctrl + N not alt + N." 

That is what I deduced from what I saw.  So it was a great mystery as to why Alt + n would do that.  But untel I closed EN through Task manager, it kept doing, it.

As I mentioned, I had used EN but had closed it.  But repeatedly that combination opened a new note.

Thank you for your response.

The first question is why does alt key + N open a new note?

the second matter referring to the above suggestion is that I tried closing the app through file/close but it still opens a new note.  I had to go to Task manager to close.

• Level 5

You said you file/closed it. This keeps the backend running. If it still is visible in the task manager proves it was not terminated.

You need to file/quit to really shut it down.

About the different shortcut: No idea. It is in the editable section of shortcuts, so maybe you changed it once, or there was some corruption of that setting.

Can you change it back ? If you have not changed any shortcuts, I think you can reset them all to default.

• Like 1

THe elephant icon in the task bar is the key thing to look out for. If it still there EN is still running. Personally I've never seen no icon and then found EN processes running in task manager. File -> quit Evernote  (file -> close doesn't exist) always closes the EN completely and the icon disappears.

You are correct that alt-N should do nothing. @PinkElephant's suggestion of checking that you haven't assigned it manually to something is a good one. As of the latest version all keyboard shortcuts are editable. Personally I would disable alt-ctrl-N and ctrl-N (assuming there really is nothing assigned to alt-N) and work from there.

• Like 1

Well, now I find that this discussion is for nothing.  I am using basic and have Evernote on my Android.  I had been using it on my computer, but after going through the frustration of not being able to access this discussion on my computer, trying everything I could imagine, I finally found the answer in another forum where several frustrated users who had come up against the same problem were discussing that Evernote now counts an account on a PC as a device and if you happen to need to access something, like I did, where you have to use the web you are blocked because that is now another device.

What seems strange to me is that on Android, I have the account and also am able to access this on the web.  I is not another "devise."

Thank you all for your help.  Maybe it will help someone.