(Archived) Feature Request: Password Protection / Locking Edit Function

First of all, I would like to talk to Evernote how much I love this amazing application.

It makes my life more easy and organized.

However, I am really thankful if you will add features which would be missed seemingly at current version of Evernote.

1. Password Protection:

I know I need to log-in to access my Evernote notes. But, when I am using Evernote on shared computer or my iPhone,

sometimes I feel insecure of my personal informaion. For example, my colleagues asked me to borrow my phone a few minutes to check iphone,

he can access my Evernote information because there is NO password requirement in my iPhone version of Evernote.

So, I want to set password protection on each notes seperately in my Evernote.

2. Locking Edit:

I use Evernote to collect information from websites. The information I do not want to compromise by my unintentional editing.

So, I want to lock my notes which I do not need to edit. So, I can only view notes but I cannot edit before I unlock the notes.

That's it! If I can use above two features, Evernote experience will be greater than now.

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

I second the #2 suggestion, i was just looking for such a thing..

I think just a simple button at the top of the screen that lets me lock the not for editing... for example i often pull out notes when i'm writing code on other pages and sometimes end up typing/***** up my notes rather than typing in my editor.

• Level 5

2. Locking Edit:

I use Evernote to collect information from websites. The information I do not want to compromise by my unintentional editing.

So, I want to lock my notes which I do not need to edit. So, I can only view notes but I cannot edit before I unlock the notes.

You could print the information to a PDF file. PDF printers are free and easy to use.

Then it is readable and searchable but you won't edit it.

• Level 5
You can't reedit it again without the original file, nor is it protected from accidental deletion.

I addressed the original request on Locking Edit.

• "I do not want to compromise by my unintentional editing."

My suggestion solves his request today with a well known viable format.

By the way, you can edit PDF with the correct software, and Evernote has a trash bin for accidental deletion.

• 2 months later...

2. Locking Edit:

Although I don't know how feasible or hard to implement this would be, I like this idea. I use dual monitors & sometimes I end up calling up an EN note on one screen, get coffee/let dogs out/deal with another app for a few minutes/cogitate/etc & then start to type on (what I think is) the other screen. I've also accidentally deleted notes in this manner. Similarly, I think sometimes people on an iDevice that's running slowly may enter taps that get buffered & could accidentally muff up a note. If this were something that EN would even consider, I'm sure there would need to be some extensive usability thought given to this b/c we all want to be able to quickly modify and/or delete existing notes as well.

• 9 months later...

this is a very important feature. I need it too. In fact I am considering of going premium but this is the only feature that makes me rethink my decision.

It is pretty straightforward to have this feature enabled and it is silly for Evernote to leave this out in the development, in my opinion. Not all information should be editable, otherwise any accidental edit will destroy our information.

I know the premium version has note history but it is not logged for every edit, it is only logged during certain time of day.

Evernote Admin/Developers: Where are you? Pls respond to your user requests will you??

You can't reedit it again without the original file, nor is it protected from accidental deletion.

I addressed the original request on Locking Edit.

• "I do not want to compromise by my unintentional editing."

My suggestion solves his request today with a well known viable format.

By the way, you can edit PDF with the correct software, and Evernote has a trash bin for accidental deletion.

It is a pain in the ass to do pdf conversion and then use another software to edit pdf and reupload into Evernote.

Why can't Evernote makes this simple for us? Is it that hard to implement an edit lock? I'm dumbfounded as to why Evernote is turning a blind eye towards this request... what's wrong with enabling edit lock??

• 7 months later...

+1 to locking. I use Evernote heavily on Desktop/iPad/iPhone and several times was quite upset by accidentally changing/moving content or the whole notes. It is more or less solvable when you're on desktop, but on the go it's quite painful.

Just checked the last situation - if you posted a picture in Evernote on iPhone, then accidentally selected it and started typing - it's lost, I've found no way to undo it. Most painful such situation is when your pic did not have time to upload to server. If you're quick enough to delete it from Photo albums (like I am :) ) before you killed it in Evernote too - you just loose your pic.

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived