Tools / ScanSnap Options... / File to notebook -- gone after upgrading to 10.17

In my old Evernote app, under Tools, there was a "ScanSnap Options..." option which brought up options to auto-file scanned items from the Evernote ScanSnap Scanner to separate notebooks for Documents, Business Cards, Receipts and Photographs.  (see screenclip)  After upgrading to 10.17, ScanSnap scans just go to one notebook (the default user notebook) with the rest of my notes.   How can I undo this holy mess 10.17 has wrought upon me?   I went ahead and installed Legacy but when I scan a receipt, EN 10.17 greedily intercepts the scanning import process and puts it in the default user notebook, not the Receipts notebook that has been happily importing all these years prior to the 10.17 update (see attached screenclip).   I'll try uninstalling 10.17 and see if Legacy will magically regain control of the ScanSnap import process which it has carried out properly for me since 2016.

BTW, EN 10.17 doesn't have a screenclip option.   I had to use EN Legacy to screenclip this images.  Why Evernote?  Why are you doing this to me? 

ScreenClip.png

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5

No need to uninstall anything.

Install v10 first, then install EN legacy. Works as you are used to.

Or you use the import folder function of the new client. Scan to a separate folder. When scanning is done, you will be asked to enter the file name (using ScanSnap Manager ver. 7.1L27). The file name becomes the note title. Then pick the import folder where you want to send the scan.

Create one import folder per notebook you want to import to. Link notebook and import folder. Which import folder you choose determines the notebook the scan will be send.

• Like 1

Install v10 first, then install EN legacy

That is exactly what I did and what I described.   I installed v10.17 and then when I saw the issues in that version (no screenclip function, scans not going to the right notebook, dragging a note onto a shortcut of a tag not assigning said tag to the dragged note) I installed Legacy.  But installing Legacy did not restore the proper assignment of incoming scans to their assigned folders (Documents, Business Cards, Receipts and Photographs).  However *uninstalling* EN 10.17 immediately brought back the auto-sorting of scans to their proper notebooks.   Clearly EN 10.17 was intercepting the scans and putting them in the wrong notebook before Legacy had a chance to put the scan in their proper notebooks.  

My ScanSnap Manager Evernote Edition is reporting version V1.5L10 (1001).  Clicking on "Check for Updates" within the Manager reports "There are no updates"

When scanning is done, you will be asked to enter the file name

What if you are scanning multiple receipts/documents?  Does it stop between scans to ask for the file name?  That seems inconvenient if you want to scan a batch and sort through the notes later.

15 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No need to uninstall anything.

Install v10 first, then install EN legacy. Works as you are used to.

Or you use the import folder function of the new client. Scan to a separate folder. When scanning is done, you will be asked to enter the file name (using ScanSnap Manager ver. 7.1L32). The file name becomes the note title. Then pick the import folder where you want to send the scan.

Create one import folder per notebook you want to import to. Link notebook and import folder. Which import folder you choose determines the notebook the scan will be send.

• Evernote Expert

The current ScanSnap Manager is version 7.1L27 on Windows. You clearly have an older version. I don't recall ever seeing ScanSnap settings inside Evernote.

But this won't solve the destination folder. All scans go to the default notebook in Evernote 10. You may find using ScanSnap Cloud which is the preferred approach.

• Level 5

You get the latest ScanSnap Manager here - pick your scanner, pick your OS, and it will take you to the installer:

https://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/ssmanagerv7/

When I go through import folders, I do not scan directly into EN. I scan into a folder. Since you will (probably) not throw all individual documents into one big pdf file, you will anyhow create small files. If you get the rename routine after each scan, or scan all in a batch depends on your settings.

Independently from that you will name the scans, and in this dialogue you can pick a target folder as well. When it is linked to a notebook by the import folder setup, you can send the scanned file into a specific notebook. You just need several import folders to make it happen.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Edit: What happened to me when I scanned directly into the import folder was this. The scanning was still going on, but the first note appeared. It contained nothing but a corrupted pdf file. It was corrupted because the scanner was still adding to that file.

After several bad imports, it finally created one good import from the import folder, which was the last version from the scanner. 

My conclusion is that it does no good to scan directly into the import folder.

• Evernote Expert
9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Edit: What happened to me when I scanned directly into the import folder was this. The scanning was still going on, but the first note appeared. It contained nothing but a corrupted pdf file. It was corrupted because the scanner was still adding to that file.

After several bad imports, it finally created one good import from the import folder, which was the last version from the scanner. 

My conclusion is that it does no good to scan directly into the import folder.

Clearly, the variety of configurations mean that we tend to have different experiences.  I generally scan direct to Evernote so my scans go to the default fold.  However, when I have scanned to an Import Folder this has worked perfectly everytime. One copy of the scanned document arrives in tyhe destination notebook as expected - no corrupted PDFs on the way. ;)

Evernote: 10.17.6-win-ddl-public (2775)
Editor: v126.2.16348
Service: v1.37.8

Edition    Windows 10 Pro Version    20H2
OS build    19042.1110

ScanSnap Manager 7.1 L27

The change in scanning with ScanSnap, for me, from Legacy has not been especially challenging since ScanSnap updated the Manager application to work with Evernote 10.

I think this is going to be one of the workflow changes that we will have to embrace or move to a different product which may not do scanning any better.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

@agsteele Do you use the Abby OCR, or do you scan without OCRing, and let EN do the job ?

I used to scan directly into EN, but tried the import folder option. I think I am going to use it more often together with my ix500.

Usually I OCR my Scans with the Abby software in the ScanSnap Manager. With receipts and other stuff it is garbelygock what the OCR finds first, and this is used as file name and note title.

So it is better to scan to a folder, then quickly give it a name and send this file into the import folder of choice. It will then import with a clean file and note title, avoiding any rework.

For doing a fast scan I use the build in scanner  of EN on my iPhone, or the ScannerPro app with the magnificent workflows that provide notebook selection and standard tagging with one click.

• Evernote Expert
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

@agsteele Do you use the Abby OCR, or do you scan without OCRing, and let EN do the job ?

I just let ScanSnap do its thing and then let Evernote do whatever OCR is needed.  On the very, very few occasions when Evernote has not been as successful as I would wish with the OCR piece I open the PDF in Adobe Acrobat and have it run an OCR the save back into the note.  But I do this about once a year.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

For me doing the own OCR is a measure of independence: When EN does the OCR, it is not transferred into the document. If I leave EN one day (no plans, but you never know), everything OCRed by EN is not searchable.

The integrated Abby OCR software is state of the art and does a very good job making Scans readable. Opposite to EN OCR I can not only search, but select and copy text as well.

I just noticed that scanning directly into the import folder collides with the OCR. No problem, I scan to another folder and move it to the import folder after naming the file.

15 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You get the latest ScanSnap Manager here - pick your scanner, pick your OS, and it will take you to the installer:

https://scansnap.fujitsu.com/global/ssmanagerv7/

When I go through import folders, I do not scan directly into EN. I scan into a folder. Since you will (probably) not throw all individual documents into one big pdf file, you will anyhow create small files. If you get the rename routine after each scan, or scan all in a batch depends on your settings.

Independently from that you will name the scans, and in this dialogue you can pick a target folder as well. When it is linked to a notebook by the import folder setup, you can send the scanned file into a specific notebook. You just need several import folders to make it happen.

That link seems to be listing generic ScanSnap scanners, rather than the Evernote Edition ScanSnap Scanner.  Screenclip of Information tab attached.   Things are working as I want them to with EN Legacy -- receipts are detected as receipts and sent to the Receipt notebook, and detection/routing works similarly with documents, photos, and business cards -- so I wouldn't want to mess everything up by switching to a generic ScanSnap Manager that isn't Evernote-aware of contexts and routing.  The three scans I made while I was running EN 10.17 looked odd (scan appearing twice/mirrored in the same note with squiggly border on the sides), so I rescanned with 10.17 uninstalled and deleted the odd scans.   

ScreenClip.png

• Level 5

The EN edition scanner is not supported any longer, neither by Fujitsu nor by EN. It is not recognized by v10 - which is mentioned in the release notes.

This is probably why you get no update information - the new scanning software needs a standard firmware, not the incompatible EN edition version.

To be able to install it, you first need to convert the EN edition scanner to a standard ScanSnap scanner. Here is how:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024050514

Hint: Once converted, there is no way back. Since back means „not supported“ I don’t think this should be a problem.

Once converted you can update the scanning software to the latest release.

11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The EN edition scanner is not supported any longer, neither by Fujitsu nor by EN. It is not recognized by v10 - which is mentioned in the release notes.

This is probably why you get no update information - the new scanning software needs a standard firmware, not the incompatible EN edition version.

To be able to install it, you first need to convert the EN edition scanner to a standard ScanSnap scanner. Here is how:

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360024050514

Hint: Once converted, there is no way back. Since back means „not supported“ I don’t think this should be a problem.

Once converted you can update the scanning software to the latest release.

No way back.  Ugh.  I tried (tested) v10 for Windows briefly yesterday.  Clip Screenshot missing from EN taskbar button.  Dragging a note onto a shortcut of a tag no longer assigns said tag to the dragged note.  I tried the Mac version of v10.3.7 in November.  That version was missing the "Copy Image" function which I use very frequently.  So I'm confused.  EN v10 is missing all this stuff and I'm supposed to install and struggle with all of its shortcomings (and brick my EN edition scanner into a "no way back" state) rather than just stick with Legacy, which does what I need it to do?   How about I just use Legacy until v10 gets fixed?  I want a productivity tool, not a struggle-with-missing-features tool.

• Level 5

You can continue to use legacy for EN and for the scanner, no problem.

Just be aware that you run a lot of „end of life“ applications that won‘t get any fixes, even if security is a concern. This part of the job you need to handle yourself.