Copy & Paste of Images from EN to other programs not functional

Some days ago I decided to upgrade to version 10 for Windows and am realizing today that images from notes CANNOT be copied to other programs. After copying an image to the clipboard, the clipboard looks as follows: 

image.png.25087c11b2861d88cfaa577f06bc1872.png

First this exchange format is not widely supported by the many possible programs out there. Second the path in the format descriptor is pointing to nowhere. Thus, even programs supporting this way of image data exchange will not be successful. This is a severe bug and apparently not addressed by the development teams since 2020 based on the many related forum contributions.

Myself and many other customers too need to exchange the content of the notes with other people using other programs. Images are an important part of it. Not allowing this is not accepatable for a piece of software I pay for since years now.

Please fix this as soon as possible.

Version:

10.17.6-win-ddl-public (2775)
Editor: V 126.2.16348
Service: V 1.37.8

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Hi.  How exactly are you getting images onto the clipboard?  It should be possible to drag and drop images into other apps,  or to save a note attachments to your desktop.  Worst case - try the Legacy version to get back to the previous behaviour..

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Evernote Expert

Drag& drop in Windows V10 does not work. It has been reported and is well reported.

Drag & drop to the desktop and then from there to the destination program.

20 hours ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  How exactly are you getting images onto the clipboard?  It should be possible to drag and drop images into other apps,  or to save a note attachments to your desktop.  Worst case - try the Legacy version to get back to the previous behaviour..

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Usually I copy the whole note content directly in the note editor and paste it to Word, OneNote, PowerPoint, E-Mail, .... Many of my notes contain dozens of images, it it not accepatable to do a drag & drop for each image individually. Individual drag and drop is not working for all those apps, jsut for the desktop, which ist useful at all.

What happesn to my Ver. 10 notes if I downgrade to an older version?

Thank you.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, agsteele said:

Drag& drop in Windows V10 does not work. It has been reported and is well reported.

Drag & drop to the desktop and then from there to the destination program.

This just works image by image, not for a whole note with text and images.

Any idea why Evernote is not considering this bug to be solved?

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, Googol said:

Any idea why Evernote is not considering this bug to be solved?

AFAIK it's not a bug - at least not one anyone else has found yet...

If you already have mixed text and images in Evernote,  you should be able to print them to a PDF file.  If you have an editor like Acrobat you'll be able to edit that file to a better layout if/ when necessary.  The better plan would be to create your notes in a word-processor and save that DOCX (or other format) file as a note attachment.  It can then be printed or edited further as required.

Using Legacy does not involve a downgrade.  It can be installed alongside v10 and - once the database has been updated - will contain exactly the same notes and attachments.

• Like 1
On 7/17/2021 at 7:02 PM, gazumped said:

AFAIK it's not a bug - at least not one anyone else has found yet...

If you already have mixed text and images in Evernote,  you should be able to print them to a PDF file.  If you have an editor like Acrobat you'll be able to edit that file to a better layout if/ when necessary.  The better plan would be to create your notes in a word-processor and save that DOCX (or other format) file as a note attachment.  It can then be printed or edited further as required.

Using Legacy does not involve a downgrade.  It can be installed alongside v10 and - once the database has been updated - will contain exactly the same notes and attachments.

Thank you for your imput.

This problem has been mentioned several times since 2020, is reported quite well and seems to come as a bug in the clothes of a feature together with version 10. Thats the only explanation for me why no one is addressing this at EN.

Sure there are workarounds thinkable. The best one is to use Microsoft OneNote instead of Evernote. Then I even can save some money per year. At the moment I am yet not giving up since some features are better than those of OneNote. Bot not beeing able to copy from and to Evernote elements like text or images is an absolute no go and not acceptable at all on medium term.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
49 minutes ago, Googol said:

not beeing able to copy from and to Evernote elements like text or images is an absolute no go and not acceptable at all on medium term.

49 minutes ago, Googol said:

Sure there are workarounds thinkable.

To be clear, it is quite possible to copy text and images from a note to an external document - you 1) simply have to know how to do it and 2) copy one element at a time. 

In this case (as I understand it) we're talking about a mixed document containing both text and images and the complaint was that you can't copy and paste the whole thing as one element.  It's true:  you can't.  But you can easily use a word-processor to create the document and attach it to your file so that the whole thing copies and prints just fine. 

If that wasn't done in advance you could still print to PDF rather than 'exporting' and edit that file later.

Evernote is still bug fixing and enhancing v10 on all platforms so they may plan to look at this issue next time they make any changes to the editor - users are usually the last to know when any features are being enhanced or added.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, gazumped said:

To be clear, it is quite possible to copy text and images from a note to an external document - you 1) simply have to know how to do it and 2) copy one element at a time. 

In this case (as I understand it) we're talking about a mixed document containing both text and images and the complaint was that you can't copy and paste the whole thing as one element.  It's true:  you can't.  But you can easily use a word-processor to create the document and attach it to your file so that the whole thing copies and prints just fine. 

If that wasn't done in advance you could still print to PDF rather than 'exporting' and edit that file later.

Evernote is still bug fixing and enhancing v10 on all platforms so they may plan to look at this issue next time they make any changes to the editor - users are usually the last to know when any features are being enhanced or added.

Thank you for your reply.

Even when I copy one image at a time it is not working. That's the situation I described in my initial post. 

I do at least 10 notes a day, ususally technical meeting notes with text passages and formatting as well as images. Company wide we use a Microsoft environment where OneNote is the best choice to share information and assign tasks. Unfortunately I don't have the time to perform extra tasks for a simpy copy paste process which are not needed in the old version. For now I have a parallel installation of the legacy version. I just hope that EN is keeping the legacy version long enough or is fixing this bug in the the near future. Otherwise they will loose one more customer.

• Like 1

unbelievably in 2021 i pay $10 USD a month for evernote.  i do this because scribbling on stuff for reports and communication with people is important to me for work and timesaving.  that i cannot simply cut and paste anymore is utterly unacceptable.  i use evernote occasionally and frankly don't want to do anything other than use it.  now it doesn't work as far as i am concerned. clearly i am not the intended user of this software.  i will cancel my subscription and i will do so wholly because of what i have read here today.  that this has been a known issue for so long and has not been fixed again makes me realise there must be some great stuff in this software that i don't know about (and do not need in all likelihood).

• Like 2
2 hours ago, mrgray said:

unbelievably in 2021 i pay $10 USD a month for evernote.  i do this because scribbling on stuff for reports and communication with people is important to me for work and timesaving.  that i cannot simply cut and paste anymore is utterly unacceptable.  i use evernote occasionally and frankly don't want to do anything other than use it.  now it doesn't work as far as i am concerned. clearly i am not the intended user of this software.  i will cancel my subscription and i will do so wholly because of what i have read here today.  that this has been a known issue for so long and has not been fixed again makes me realise there must be some great stuff in this software that i don't know about (and do not need in all likelihood).

I completely understand your position andd can just agree.

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, mrgray said:

unbelievably in 2021 i pay $10 USD a month for evernote.

This is strange since the Premium sub is $8 per month ;)

9 minutes ago, Googol said:

that i cannot simply cut and paste anymore is utterly unacceptable. 

However, it is completely possible to work as you have always done with the functions you have always used via the software you have been using. The newer version of Evernote is defintely a work in progress. If you need the functions that you have always had until now then Evernote offers what they now call the Legacy version. You can do all the scribbling and note taking that you have ever done as before.

Since there are challenges for you with the v10 software then Legacy is the way to go.  For sure, Legacy will, eventually, disappear but not yet and by the time it does we're all expecting that these outstanding issues will have been addressed.

• Like 2
26 minutes ago, agsteele said:

For sure, Legacy will, eventually, disappear but not yet and by the time it does we're all expecting that these outstanding issues will have been addressed.

Hope so too...

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/20/2021 at 3:16 PM, agsteele said:

This is strange since the Premium sub is $8 per month ;)

However, it is completely possible to work as you have always done with the functions you have always used via the software you have been using. The newer version of Evernote is defintely a work in progress. If you need the functions that you have always had until now then Evernote offers what they now call the Legacy version. You can do all the scribbling and note taking that you have ever done as before.

Since there are challenges for you with the v10 software then Legacy is the way to go.  For sure, Legacy will, eventually, disappear but not yet and by the time it does we're all expecting that these outstanding issues will have been addressed.

This issue has been present since Oct/Nov of last year. How long do you expect people to wait to have such a basic function restored?  I too have documents with multiple images that I need to be able to move between programs. Yes, dragging to desktop is an option, but seriously - that only works if you have a few images. My entire desktop is full of images now which I then have to go and delete, which is yet another waste of my time.  Thankfully apple notes is a far more functional entity and I am slowly transferring everything across.  Evernote has had its chance. It blew it. And I say that as a paying customer of almost a decade.

• Like 1
On 7/20/2021 at 3:43 PM, Googol said:

Hope so too...

Well, they have spent all of their time since the release of V10 adding useless ***** like tasks (which will never live up to the functionality of an actual established task manager) and not repairing basic functionality like copy/paste of images - so I wont hold my breath for major improvements.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Don’t hold your breath, it will make you turn blue first, and very quiet later.

It is not you who is the sole measure of everything, case you didn’t notice yet. What may be of little use for yourself may be a big thing for somebody else. Users are different, use cases as well.

If a software company would first have to finally purge all bugs before being „allowed“ to innovate, we would all still be fumbling 5.25“ floppies into our computers drive (you were lucky when you had 2 of them) and discuss the latest tricks to tune our bat-files. I hope EN will continue to fix bugs - and drive innovation.

13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Don’t hold your breath, it will make you turn blue first, and very quiet later.

It is not you who is the sole measure of everything, case you didn’t notice yet. What may be of little use for yourself may be a big thing for somebody else. Users are different, use cases as well.

If a software company would first have to finally purge all bugs before being „allowed“ to innovate, we would all still be fumbling 5.25“ floppies into our computers drive (you were lucky when you had 2 of them) and discuss the latest tricks to tune our bat-files. I hope EN will continue to fix bugs - and drive innovation.

Basically you are right. But not fixing a crucial bug which inhibits sharing EN content on other applications for more then a year can hardly be argued by innovation. At the moment the hurdles to take to be able to bring content over to exotic no name applications like Word, PowerPoint, Excel and consorts are similar to tuning bat files, well, even worse.

• Level 5*

Has anyone tried native Windows paste, Win+V?  If that doesn't work I might assume whatever is getting put on the clipboard is where the problem lies.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, CalS said:

Has anyone tried native Windows paste, Win+V?  If that doesn't work I might assume whatever is getting put on the clipboard is where the problem lies.

It is indeed the clipboard content which is the problem. See my original post from July 16th...

• Level 5*

I did not recognize the name of the clipboard manager.  Oh well.  I don’t use V10 on my PCs so could not test Win+V. Hopefully this gets addressed. Copy to Paste is pretty much standard fare these days.  

• Like 1