For awhile now, Evernote on my android has been extremely slow. And when I say slow, I mean it won't even open unless I keep touching my screen so that it doesn't flash off and then it won't open at all. Once it does open it seems to work fine. But it is completely unacceptable to have it performed this slowly.

What on earth is going on?

When will this be fixed? It is intolerable like this.

I really like Evernote. But can't they test this prior to releasing it? I use a Samsung Note 9. This is not a slow phone. Not one other program takes this long to open.

I love a lot of the progress I see in the desktop. But what on earth is going on with android phones?

When can we expect this to be resolved?

• Sad 5

I'm suffering the same problem since last android version. Nobody answer the tickets, nobody says what is happening? Are you trying to kill Evernote, don't you?

Slower, can't find a note with a single tag, repeated folders.....guys!!! REACT!!!!!!!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Been using Evernote for 10 years - love it, but the recent update has made the start-up incredibly slow (it's fine when it eventually opens up). Is this a known problem and is there a fix on the way, or will I just have to get used to it ?

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I wish someone from Evernote would pop in here to reply to this. It seems to be a huge issue for many, many users. 

The lag on my Android phone is so problematic that I'm seriously considering jumping ship unless there's a way to sort this out soon. 

Just opening a note is so painfully slow compared to the competition. And Evernote's web clipping functions - which ought to outshine the competition - have become unusable because it is too painfully slow to bring up options (notebook selection, tagging, etc). 

Sometimes it feels as though I'm way back in the dark ages of slow dial-up Internet connections. 

I have a fast connection and capacious phone capacity, so the problem is not on my end. 

Anyone had any luck finding a way to speed Evernote up on Android?

• Sad 1
  • Evernote Expert
On 8/27/2021 at 1:20 PM, katetica said:

I wish someone from Evernote would pop in here to reply to this. It seems to be a huge issue for many, many users. 

The forums are user-to-user peer support. Very occasionally Staff do pitch in but that is rare.

That said, I don't find Evernote 10 on Android to be at all 'laggy'. I switch my phone off every night so that first access of Evernote for the day does take 4 or 5 seconds before everything is ready to go. Thereafter, the app opens quicker than I can get my brain working on what I want to achieve.

I know others have a different experience and it is hard to identify what the issue might be. It could be other apps running in the background consuming CPU cycles, it could be battery optimisation settings (I have Evernote set to not optimise its battery usage), perhaps an older device that is less well powered than mine or... In truth it is just a guess why you have a different experience to others.

I own several devices middle class. EN10.x runs dead slow whereas all other apps have quite nice responding times. I think Evernote should figure out why this only app has such a lagging issue on so much devices. It is for months now the main reason for dropping play store ratings...just dropped another step to 3.7. I raised this with the early 10.x versions and support instantly confirmed the lag and performance problems and that they would work on it. It is 6 months since than. Not promising. If you compare with other real note taking apps around (which run lightning fast on my devices) you can really get the impression to ride a near dead horse 🙄

I would love to see everyone again be able to do work with Evernote as easy as @agsteeleis capable of. EN8.13.3 once delivered that.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2021 at 4:19 PM, agsteele said:

The forums are user-to-user peer support. Very occasionally Staff do pitch in but that is rare.

That said, I don't find Evernote 10 on Android to be at all 'laggy'. I switch my phone off every night so that first access of Evernote for the day does take 4 or 5 seconds before everything is ready to go. Thereafter, the app opens quicker than I can get my brain working on what I want to achieve.

I know others have a different experience and it is hard to identify what the issue might be. It could be other apps running in the background consuming CPU cycles, it could be battery optimisation settings (I have Evernote set to not optimise its battery usage), perhaps an older device that is less well powered than mine or... In truth it is just a guess why you have a different experience to others.

It doesn't appear to be a problem of phone capacity or CPU usage. That would slow other apps down too but they are all super fast.

I downgraded to the legacy app using a link posted on another thread and the old app worked just fine, though of course without the new bells and whistles of the latest version.

It really isn't an ideal "solution" though.

• Like 1
On 8/30/2021 at 5:19 PM, agsteele said:

That said, I don't find Evernote 10 on Android to be at all 'laggy'. I switch my phone off every night so that first access of Evernote for the day does take 4 or 5 seconds before everything is ready to go...

I have a somewhat average android mobile. 

At the moment it takes about 30 seconds for Evernote to start. (OneNote about 5 seconds)

A new photo-note: more than 1 minute in Evernote. (OneNote about 15 seconds)

• Like 2
1 hour ago, janndk said:

I have a somewhat average android mobile. 

At the moment it takes about 30 seconds for Evernote to start. (OneNote about 5 seconds)

A new photo-note: more than 1 minute in Evernote. (OneNote about 15 seconds)

This is not the way it should be. It's also not the way Evernote works on my phone (Samsung S20). Evernote starts after a new start in about 5 seconds on my phone and a new photo note takes about 2 seconds. Has anyone with a paid account contacted Evernote support about this? There must be something odd going on in some unusual situations.

• Like 1

I did contact support in the early versions of EN10 over the extreme sluggish performance and they immediately confirmed the knowledge of that problem. They said, they would be working on a fix in future. Well, after 9 months I am asking me when (or even if???) this future will become present. I have two middle class devices by Samsung, both affected badly.

• Like 1

Thank you all for your responses.

Support did contact me within 24 hours and acknowledged that they're aware of the problems and working on some solutions.

Now, they're putting me to work to do diagnostics, screen video grabs, etc.  I'll carve out some time for this over the weekend.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • 2 months later...

Well they are promising improvements of "general performance over the next few months". They are even saying this "you may not notice an improvement initially". I guess at least this way they confirmed to us that they are aware of the performance problems of v10.

I recently changed my phone from Pixel 3 XL to Pixel 6 Pro. Evernote is now running noticeably faster. 3s to start the app (from force closed app) and notes are opening/loading faster. Not bad. I like it. I guess Evernote v10 is really resource hungry app. If the software is not good/optimized, then brute hardware power can solve the performance problems. But still Pixel 3 XL is only 3 years old and at the release it was a high end phone. So it is by no means a weak phone. And Evernote is not a game, it's a note taking app so performance on P3XL should be better than as it is at the moment.

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, matej1990 said:

Well they are promising improvements of "general performance over the next few months". They are even saying this "you may not notice an improvement initially".

Hi @matej1990, can you tell from what source this is quoted. Thank you.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
On 4/15/2022 at 1:14 AM, bleep1234 said:

Yes me too desperately slow on Android

for some people evernote is really slow on any device. I'm beginning to wonder if data need to be migrated on evernote's servers to make the evernote 10 clients fast. it would be interesting to see if people who have slow evernote on android also have slow evernote on the desktop or on iOS for example. 

personally i've never had problems with evernote's speed, neither on the web nor on android (my two clients), however i started using evernote only 2 years ago on the beta web client, which was the first version of the software which later turned into evernote 10. maybe my data was "optimised" somehow for evernote 10?