Transitioning to a new laptop and have EN10 running on both. Everything had synced up and things were normal(ish).

I was doing something else on the old laptop when I saw the notification pop up, Imported 19 new notes. 

Checked the import folder to make sure I hadn't somehow moved over some new files. No, everything as how I left it the day before.

So, I brought up Evernote and checked my default notebook.

19 notes. Mostly recent stuff, but some months old. For the most part, the titles only. Where there was a body to the note, it wasn't the body that went with the title. 

Shut down EN on the old machine just in case. 

Worked on something else and just checked EN. The list has grown to 40 notes. 

Copied a few files to my import folder and so far, nothing has happened. 

As far as I can tell, this is somehow happening in the cloud rather than locally. 

I'll be a way for an hour or so. Interested to see what I find when I get back.

• Thanks 1

No, but I'm glad you asked. I never set up the import folder on the new computer, which explains the second part. So, the only import folder is the one that has been on the old machine for years. 

At this point, no further files have come across. I'm going to crank EN back up on machine 1 to see if it starts again. 

So far, no harm done, but another reason not to trust the system yet.

Edit: Actually, I forgot that I uninstalled v10 from the old machine after this happened, so I think I'll leave (hopefully) well enough alone. Still have Legacy on the old machine if I need to access something over there. So far, I haven't installed Legacy on this one, which may be overly optimistic.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, I think I've figure this out. I'm thinking even though I didn't set up the import folder on the new machine, Evernote knew where it was supposed to be. But the flag that says, yeah I got this was missing from the new machine, so it was bringing things in again. 

After I set up the import folder on the new machine, all 183 of those notes got imported quickly. And I recognized the first dozen as the ones from earlier. So, maybe the cloud version of EN was having a conflict with the local machine(s) and that was why the earlier notes were screwed up.

Of course, deleting those 183 files isn't as simple as it used to be because I can only select 50 at a time and it takes about 7 seconds to delete each file. 

So, yeah, I guess I'm installing Legacy

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

2 factors decide about that:

- When the upsync from Legacy takes place

- When v10 tries to fetch changes from the server and takes the deleted notes out of the local cache.

In general avoid changing the same note on several clients at the same time. EN does not know which change is relevant, and will often create note conflict messages and duplicate notes.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

2 factors decide about that:

- When the upsync from Legacy takes place

- When v10 tries to fetch changes from the server and takes the deleted notes out of the local cache.

In general avoid changing the same note on several clients at the same time. EN does not know which change is relevant, and will often create note conflict messages and duplicate notes.

Methinks @dbvirago had his tongue firmly planted in his cheek....

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this happened again. Suddenly, I have 150 notes in my input directory.

Again, this happened after starting EN on the second machine. Both machines have the Input Folder set to the same place. Both Input Folders are empty. On both machines all 150 notes exist in a different notebook and many of them are very old. I moved a few of these notes earlier today, but those moves are reflected correctly on both machines. The bulk haven't been touched on any device in months. 

I have no idea where it is pulling these from.

And again, I still had Legacy so deleting them took 3 seconds instead of 10 minutes. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

No, they turn pink if you do 🤣

PS: Sorry for stealing your thread - but I really have no idea what happens to your account all the time. Sometimes I think others have all the fun, and then I think I really enjoy my dull life.

• Like 1