Encrypted text displays on Home page's Recent view

1712462252_NoteView.jpg.8bb571dc928c4dabd43204b2f18ae2a8.jpg

The above is my note in the note view. The Password is encrypted as expected.

But when I see the same note inside the Home page's Recent view, the encryption is not applied...

1325007543_NotesView.jpg.47d9fc526d2692481d4cd80cf236e90e.jpg

• Level 5

Holding passwords in EN is simply a bad idea.

Get yourself a password manager - it will not only safely store your passwords, it will propose strong and unique ones, will look after 2 FA, warn you about breaches and more.

When done with the shift, delete all of the notes containing passwords, then go to the trash and delete them a second time. Only a completely deleted note will not leave a trace in note history and elsewhere.

Just now, PinkElephant said:

Holding passwords in EN is simply a bad idea.

Get yourself a password manager - it will not only safely store your passwords, it will propose strong and unique ones, will look after 2 FA, warn you about breaches and more.

When done with the shift, delete all of the notes containing passwords, then go to the trash and delete them a second time. Only a completely deleted note will not leave a trace in note history and elsewhere.

I completely agree with you and will undertake that conversion in the very near future.

I offered this as (yet another) indication of the insecurity of passwords in Evernote.

These types of issues make me wonder if Evernote is being tested at all.

• Like 1
  • Evernote Expert

I  concur with this. Certainly storing passwords inside Evernote isn't a great idea. The EN encryption is not great at the best time.  But this is an extraordinariy poor thing.  I'd recommend a support ticket.

UPDATE:

After a few minutes the Dashboard has updated to hide the encrypted text.  I assume that the initial thumbnail view was created when the note was created and prior to the encryption taking place. The Encryption caught up...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

It is not a question of testing - IMHO EN has simply carried a bad concept over from legacy to v10. Since v10 is syncing much more frequently, it took the text encryption from bad to worse.

I would skip it altogether, because a unreliable encryption is worse than none.

To store encrypted content another solution is to use an app that de- and encrypts independently. You store the encrypted container as an attachment in a note, and download it from EN (out of syncing range) before you decrypt. Before putting it away into EN, encrypt it.

This is technically possible and safe - unless you make a mistake handling the procedure.

Thus I would skip all this, get some cloud storage, get an app like Boxcryptor and run encrypted content outside of EN altogether.

The only way to a safe encrypted storage in EN would IMHO be to have a special encrypted notebook, that handles similar to a Boxcryptor session, but using EN for storage. This must be build from scratch, because it must safely be excluded from unwanted syncing.

• Like 1