Spinning green circle on startup

The initial startup of Evernote 10.17.6 on a high-spec i9 iMac displays a spinning circle for about 15-30 seconds, with the app partially frozen until the circle disappears. Subsequent startups of Evernote don't display this problem.

This issue appeared with the release of Tasks Early Release.

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Is the „Keep data on leaving …“ switch in the app settings active or inactive in your installation ?

How fast is the internet ? Internal network by WiFi, or by Ethernet cable ?

I have no idea where to set the „Keep data on leaving …“

My Internet connection is 650 Mbps - hardwired Ethernet.

9 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Is the „Keep data on leaving …“ switch in the app settings active or inactive in your installation ?

How fast is the internet ? Internal network by WiFi, or by Ethernet cable ?

For me the "Keep data on leaving" selection is active. I get the same behavior as JoeTourist, though it's irregular. I just now restarted my MacBook and then opened Evernote, and I got a fast startup (about 14 seconds to fully open, but no long green spinner). However, sometimes I do get it. As JoeTourist has indicated, there's reason to think that it's not associated either with bandwidth or with hardware deficiencies.

• Like 1

Seeing the same behavior in versions 10.15.6, 10.16.7 and 10.17.6 for mac. However if I install/downgrade to 10.14.7 the spinning wheel issue does not present itself. The only difference in what @JoeTouristreported above, subsequent startups are intermittently spinning the green wheel.

I have removed all of my devices, and now it seems worst than before. The spinning circle keeps coming every few minutes. The sync functionality is the main feature of evernote and any cloud related note taking apps, so hopefully they will fix it at no time.

• Level 5

You are on Basic, not Premium like the post above. Since you have no support access, you are more or less on your own with troubleshooting.

From the few information that you post I think it may be a network issue.

may have discovered a solution to this problem.

I rarely use Evernote from a web browser, but when I accessed my notes this morning using the browser app, it displayed an "Updating..." prompt. When I now access my notes using the Evernote MacOS app on my iMac, the green spinner briefly appears for less than a second - no more waiting 30 seconds or so!

It will be interesting to hear if this works for others who are experiencing this problem.

Had a same issue on a new Macbook and I am also a Premium subscriber. Chatted with tech support but they wanted logs but I couldn't get the logs whilst the green circle was spinning. Also tried multiple reinstalls and reboots. In the end I installed the legacy version of Evertnote and it is ok. Maybe something wrong with latest Mac client.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

Same issue with me. Premium user. Issue appears on my iPhone, iPad, macAir and 27" iMac. Round and round it spins for about 15-seconds. Started happening with beta task update and never stopped. Fibre broadband connection which is very fast and stable. 

Same problem. 10-30+ seconds of spinning green wheel every time I startup. This is a recent development. For $70 a year I expect to NOT have to wait 30 seconds to make a quick note. I may try a legacy version (if possible). I've been an Evernote user for 10yrs. More attention needs to be given to this problem. 

Thanks

10.16.7-mac-mas-public (458707)
Editor: v126.0.16239
Service: v1.37.3

macOS Mojave 10.14.6
2013 MacPro - 64GB RAM - 3.5Ghz 6-core - plenty of drive space

Same behavior, at startup Evernote 10.17.6 shows green spinner in the foreground for 20-30s before I can interact with the note in focus. I am Evernote Plus.

This feels suspiciously similar to the View Only bug on Android they just fixed, i.e. the app has to do 20s of work to the local DB before it lets you do anything. Except in this case you can't even look at notes.

I received this advice from Evernote Tech Support: "At this moment, this issue is actually one that the development team knows about and I believe it should be fixed in our latest release (10.18). Can you please log into the Evernote for Mac app and check for updates (Help > Check for updates)? Install that update and see how things are working."

I updated to the latest release 10.17.8 available for my Intel iMac, which seems to have fixed the problem.

FWIW, I'm running the latest Evernote 10.17.6 release on my M1 MacBook and Dell Inspiron (Win 10) with no issues.

2021-07-23_Evernote10.17.8.jpg

after starting Evernote.app on my Mac I got that spinning green circle again - it overlaps current shown note. Then I opened "Tasks" and saw a short notice at the top of the window: "sync in progress" (or so) - after approx. 15 secs the circle disappeared. In my case, it seems, this is just a short delay until everything is synced - at least during initial startup, I never got that circle after quitting EN and restarting it.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5
22 hours ago, RobJVM said:

Unfortunately I have no "Check for Updates" under my help menu...

Sometimes it shows, sometimes not.

The actual version for desktop is 10.17.8, and I download always from the website.

The circle is maybe related with some database reorg in the background. At least for me it started about a week ago. I will wait a little if this nuisance corrects itself.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Sometimes it shows, sometimes not.

The actual version for desktop is 10.17.8, and I download always from the website.

The circle is maybe related with some database reorg in the background. At least for me it started about a week ago. I will wait a little if this nuisance corrects itself.

10.17.8 just dropped on the Mac App Store. Will live with it for a day or two and see if there's any change.

UPDATED: Nope. No difference. I didn't need a day or two. Spinning circle of death for 10-30 seconds.

• Level 5

No circle of death (which is normally used for the „beachball of death“), because the app recovers by itself. 

But a nuisance still, I hope they fix it soon.

As a workaround start the app early, before you really need it.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

No circle of death (which is normally used for the „beachball of death“), because the app recovers by itself. 

But a nuisance still, I hope they fix it soon.

As a workaround start the app early, before you really need it.

Yeah, I get it. I was being sarcastic.

• Haha 1

The latest from Tech Support - the rollout of the fix has been delayed.

It looks like the development team at the last minute ended up pushing this fix to our next release or possibly the one after. They are still putting forth quite an effort to get this fixed but I believe they will need some more time. I do apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. There is only one other troubleshooting step I can provide you and if it doesn't resolve your login issue, I am going to recommend you wait until the fix for this issue is released.

Their recommendation is to completely uninstall Evernote, then reinstall the latest version. Personally, I have no intention of doing a reinstall, but others may wish to try it.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, JoeTourist said:
I just updated to release 10.18.3, which seems to have fixed the problem. The green spinner is gone!

macOS Big Sur 11.5.1 on a high spec iMac (Intel i9).

Thanks for the update! I did the uninstall/reinstall and it did NOTHING to fix it. But if 10.18.3 is REALLY the current version, the Mac App Store is quite a few iterations behind (I realize by the nature of how the App Store works that it would be a little behind, but they're showing 10.17.8 as current).

I'm going to download directly from Evernote and see how it goes.

3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

10.17.8 was the last version. Since the Version count of EN is sort of erratic, it may well be that 10.18.3 is the direct successor.

Mac is already down for the night, will check tomorrow.

3 hours ago, RobJVM said:

Thanks for the update! I did the uninstall/reinstall and it did NOTHING to fix it. But if 10.18.3 is REALLY the current version, the Mac App Store is quite a few iterations behind (I realize by the nature of how the App Store works that it would be a little behind, but they're showing 10.17.8 as current).

I'm going to download directly from Evernote and see how it goes.

Version 10.17.8 update did not cure the problem for me. I followed the auto update prompts to install the latest update, but you could also use Help > Check for Updates...

1 hour ago, JoeTourist said:

Version 10.17.8 update did not cure the problem for me. I followed the auto update prompts to install the latest update, but you could also use Help > Check for Updates...

Mac App Store version does not include "Check for Updates". The current version on the Mac App Store is 10.17.8. Installed 10.18.3 direct download from the Evernote website. Does not appear to solve the spinning green wheel problem.

I'm on Windows 10 and having this exact same issue. So it is not specific to Macs...

This seems to be a database sync delay problem (or something along those lines) happening on Evernote's servers.

I would encourage everyone continuing to have this issue to raise a support ticket directly with Evernote. Version 10.18.3 has mostly eliminated the problem on my iMac, but once in awhile the spinner still appears for 30 seconds upon startup - frustrating!

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I am still having the exact same issue with the latest versions (as of this post) of EN for Mac and Windows. I use both frequently. I did the reinstalls by downloading the newest versions as suggested.

My issue only happens when I first open EN and the spinner can last between 15 - 30 seconds. Once it never stopped spinning at all (Mac) and I had to quit and restart the app. The only app changes I made was for it to display in Dark Mode and I made no other settings changes.

1 hour ago, JoeTourist said:

It appears Evernote has finally fixed this problem with the latest release 10.19.2 for macOS.

I'm no longer seeing the green spinner when cold starting the app.

Thanks for posting there's an update. My Evernote says 10.18.3 is the latest version and I'm up to date. Downloaded from the website and got 10.19.2. On first launch it started right! Hopeful. Usually the spinning problem gets worse the longer I don't use Evernote so I'll recheck it tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1