Cache size different between laptop & Desktop

Hi, I'm running the same version 10 of Evernote on my laptop and desktop computers, but the cache files in the Evernote folder if different by some 20,000 files - Why would the desktop have so many more files?

Thanks,

Doc

Thanks - I will try reporting this to the support team - but not holding my breath. For most of the requests for help, I had another one 2 weeks ago, and the response was the usual "uninstall, delete the Evernote folder and reinstall". I don't know if it a very slow internet connection, but with 20,000 notes the rebuilding of the Evernote folder take 5 days.

Doc

• Level 5

You can measure the internet speed with one of the usual tools - they exist both as an app and as web sites. I use the Ookla Speedtest app. To really measure internet speed, the device should be connected by Ethernet cable, not by WiFi.

5 days speak for a slow connection. Maybe on one device it just needs a little time with the app running to download. You can let it run for a day and see if the gap between devices is closing.

Speed test results show 29mb download and 9mb upload. Downloading the cache I had everything turned off I could. I suspect the problem is a bottleneck to the island of Cyprus,  where I live.

Doc

• Level 5

Could be there is a bottleneck. EN runs a quite extensive server network, hosted in Google data centers. It picks the server nearest to you. In case of Cyprus, this may be not around the corner.

29Mbit/s (I suppose it is not MB) translates into 4MB/s download, and usually because of overhead and other effects you will only get 2MB/s net bandwidth.

This is not much, the upload (to sync changes) even less so. If you have to share it with others, or if your computer is „calling home“, it takes away another share of it.

As a workaround you could install the legacy client in parallel. It runs of it own local database. Operations will probably be smoother, and you can click on sync and go away while it moves the local copy to the server.

Got a reply from EN support - not the one I was expecting

"Sometimes the small note differences like this can be calculated weird on different devices if you have some shared notebooks. It's even possible that this is actually a counting error and the notes are actually still there. I am glad to hear that the difference is only 4 notes (No mention of the 20,924 files different!) though and our team is aware already of issues like this. They are currently working on a fix for this."

This is the end for me - I've tried exporting to Nimbus and Onenote - neither worked. I will move to another note app and use EN to search old data - not as if that works either - that is another support request, which is waiting for an answer. 

Thanks for the suggestions

Doc

• Like 1