HEY EVERNOTE: cmd+H saves cpu usage for when Evernote is not on foreground

EvernoteUser818

Idea

Hey Evernote,

The CPU usage of the renderer is going nuts even when Evernote window is not actively in the foreground. However, the renderer calms down significantly when cmd+H hides the window. I often have evernote running in the background with the window open, but not in the foreground (e.g. through switching windows using cmd+tab). However, it really sucks that evernote is eating so much CPU when I forget to cmd+H. This tells me that the renderer is being very inefficient if the Evernote window is not even active or visible. 

I think Cmd-H might be nearly identical to the user as not having the application visible (either foreground or background). Thus my recommendation as a quick fix to Electron woes is to look into how cmd-H causes such different behavior the to the renderer and Electron. Do a strack track and inspect the behavior and see yourself. You'll see tons of calls to CFRunLoop (https://developer.apple.com/documentation/corefoundation/cfrunloop-rht) to poll for updates. My guess is lots of the different sections of the app are using CPU time trying to check for updates. As a quick workaround, try figuring out if there's a way to identify when the Evernote is not visible and mimic the same outcome as when cmd-H is applied. But of course, a more efficient rendering of Electron is the long term solution. 

Please fix this. It's a real issue. 

My macbook is constantly hot and fans spinning whenever I have Evernote running, even when not visible. Manual cmd+H or cmd+M, etc... is the only viable solution right now without quitting the app entirely. 

Regards,

Henry

7 replies to this idea

To others, a solution for some of us before Evernote fixes this is to use Evernote in Full Screen mode. When you change windows to/from evernote, OSX is forced to switch to another desktop, which effectively produces the same side effects as cmd-H and triggering something tell Evernote/Electron to calm down the rendering/refreshing. That's my educated guess. 

If someone familiar with Electron and OSX can help look into this more, please do. Perhaps a better workaround could be provided for us. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

There have been incremental improvements with the last releases.

However, from the design of the v10 app I do not expect this to go very far: The framework is based on Chrome(ium), not known to run low on resources. Inside of the framework, the app is running, and it needs a significant volume of local data.

On the long run this will probably cease to be a problem, when computers get more powerful (think about system requirements for Windows 11, for example). This does not help todays users.

• Level 5

Can confirm this - it is close to zero in CPU and energy consumption when open and idle. At least on my Intel MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.1 and EN 10.27 (have to install 10.28). 

It goes up when in use, but even then it runs on much less than the early versions.

• Like 1