Notes showing up as View Only

Just recently (the past two days) when I open a note it opens as view only... I haven't seen this before.  I usually fix it  by closing down & reopening the app, and then the note opens in edit mode.  Any additional information about this would be helpful.

• Level 5

From other posts came the information that it probably has to do with the reorganized database. It seems there is some background activity going on, while you use the app. This will terminate itself once it has run.

If this is true, keeping the app active whenever possible should speed things up.

• Level 5

With v10.12 the database got an overhaul. There were reports in the forum that this is done on a background activity. Once it is done, everything returns to normal.

This means 

a) a note should load and open when the user taps on it, maybe after a little wait

b) the background job runs when the EN app is active. Whenever practicable keep the app active (in the foreground).

• Thanks 1

Thanks PinkElephant, that's good to know.

This has been happening to me a lot the last few days.  The first 2 or 3 times I open a note, it's "View Only", if I keep going back to the Notes list and re-opening the note, I eventually get the Edit option.

I'll try leaving Evernote open in the foreground and see if it makes a difference.

• Like 3

I'm having the same issue, and can't get the note to change from View Only to Edit Mode without opening it 3-4 times. It's making Evernote almost unusual for quick updates or adding a status to a to do list. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

Yes I also noticed this after a recent update. 

Now when I have good signal (fast WiFi) and don't have a particular note open elsewhere, maybe about 1 out of 3 or so times I open a note is is 'Vew Only' so I often can't add text to a note when I need to e.g. when I have a thought or idea in my mind. Sometimes closing and re-opening the note (or the app) makes it editable but by then often the thought has gone. This is exactly the reason why I use Evernote, so I can quickly jot stuff down as I have memory problems. Now this is causing me issues. Removing home screen shortcuts made Evernote much less useful for quickly accessing notes, now this has made it even less useful again! 

Is this a known issue and will a fix be made? 

• Like 6

I got "View Only" issue on 6.27.2021 on Evernote Basic on a 6-months old Samsung Galaxy/Android phone running version 10.12.   Constantlly restarting PHONE then app will allow note editing for several minutes, then notes return to View only.  Any fix?  Or how can I  permanently disable the View Only mode?  (I have the "Edit Protection" option ticked to off in Settings).

I'm an Evernote user since 2013 & it always worked flawlessly until the update to the awful ver. 10.

• Like 6

This "View Only" issue is incredibly annoying. I get the "View Only" issue for any notes I try to access via the search functionality or from the Recent tab on the home screen. Making notes on the go is now extremely inefficient because the only way to get to an editable version is by searching through my entire list of notes (that's seven years' worth for me--been a user since 2014). This sucks. How soon is a new release coming to fix it? If this is going to be a long-term issue I may need to transfer my data. Anyone have an alternative notes app they love?

• Like 3
On 6/28/2021 at 12:07 PM, Grace Terzian said:

I'm having the same annoying problem that just started! What happened? This is driving me crazy. Sometimes shutting it down and reopening isn't fixing it either. I have no need for a "view only" mode. I want to kill that as an option.

Honest I think things have been VERY clunky since the "upgrade".. You can't multi select notes anymore last I checked so you have to DELETE ONE At a TIME. Now this view only thing is very frustrating. I don't even like the new layout. I'm a huge Evernote fan too.. I brag about it to friends.. But now I'm about to go primarily with OneNote... Which I know has some frustrating issues too lol. Oh well, I'll wait for the team to get this fixed since I've got 6 years invested in it. 

Edited by chanayde64@gmail.com
Addition

I'm having the same issue, recently every time I open Evernote any note I go to is in view only mode and I usually have to close and reopen it to fix it. It's not a shared note or anything like that, I just wanted to edit my grocery list =\

Screenshot_20210703-141907.thumb.png.9a59bf15e14f36c0fd303ae0452f4a57.png

• Like 1

Glad you have all posted about this, I thought I was going mad this last week, I've had to create a bunch of new notes as I couldn't update existing! Poor slip this one Evernote!

• Like 2

Suffered from this also and it was getting worse after time, so mostly could not edit a note immediately. Well, as they seem to introduce one new bug on top with each new feature without even resolving the old bugs in 7 months, I again rolled back to "legacy" 8.13.3. I can really recommend it. This 2-3 years old legacy app feels like the rebirth of Evernote regarding user experience. Nothing missing, which would be worth the pain of EN10. Cheers!

Btw: I really appreciate the ongoing evolution of EN10 on web and desktop, nice work done already. I really like to use it. But obviously for the Android app there is a lack of management to keep up with the quality (or any quality at all!) we see on the other platforms.

• Like 2
On 7/1/2021 at 5:12 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports!  We are working on a fix for this issue that is scheduled for the next release.  Until this issue is solved we found that sometimes quitting  the app or closing the note and reopening  fixes the issue.

Thank you for your patience while we work on a fix. 

Please fix soon!! Between this issue and slow loading recently, I'm about to switch to a different app.  

Same boat here. I've used Evernote since 2015 for daily tasklists, which need frequent editing,  as I service various customers, list used parts, cycle counters, etc. Not being able to edit destroys the usefulness of the app. May as well go back to using paper. =^(

Same problem with notes turning to “view only.  iOS on iPad Pro, Evernote 10.12.

Evernote 10 has not been a joy. Slow, buggy, trying to be fancy.  

I still run Legacy in parallel for things like editing encrypted text -just nuts to have to do such workarounds.  Has all the trappings of developers who are too close to the product and, even though they probably use it, have lost most claims to understanding how real (I.e. less-knowledgeable) people use it.  Take a lesson from CraigsList: keep it simple and make it work!

• Like 3

I'm suffering from this same @#)O$& "View Only" annoyance. I don't mind paying a fee to use an app like this, but it has to work!

If EN can't help itself with systemic creeping feature bloat, I suggest EN have its developers work on "improving" some other product or at least make it easy to roll back to an earlier version. 

I'm running the latest EN on Android and Windows. 

• Like 1

Worst ever update.  So, while you’re working on a fix, should we all cancel our premium accounts?  You’ve update a Note taking app where you can’t update notes?  This is like a car manufacturer who thinks taking the wheels off would be a good update.  Who the hell asked for “view only” anyway?

• Like 5

Glad to know this is a known issue and not just me. But it completely sucks. Very frustrating. A lot of the time I use evernote for things like checklists, grocery lists, keeping on track with bills... Having to open the app and wait, close it 3 times and try again, just so i can put a checkmark on a shopping list, is enough to make me want to find a new option ASAP. 

Can anyone outline the steps for going back to a legacy mode? Is there any loss of syncing or existing notes when rolling back?

Thanks. Meanwhile Evernote it would be really awesome if this got patched.

I have been using evernote for 6 years. I have NEVER seen a software that has so many updating problems, useless and unrequested updates, and useless new functions.

This company is managed very poorly and the UX team should jump from a bridge. Or something.

Exactly, management tries to make Evernote something fancy only. Everything else is behind. CEO has gone very quite about the overall process regarding quality and reliability, since his announcements from the beginning of EN10 crashed badly. They failed and now even fail to adjust in perhaps last minute (stop adding stuff,  concentrating all staff to get the core app stable and squashing bugs as hell). It is ridiculous, that they even ship an update that makes all notes read only. They obviously do not any real pre-testing anymore. That is either despair because they are forced to update no matter what because CEO gave a timeline. Or, even worse, they got to a point, where they do not have a clue, what the things they are doing might provoke in real users devices... overall one of the badest performance of a software company I have seen so far.

• Like 1

I am having the same issue.  Is there a fix for this?  Typically when I need access to my notes/tasks, I need it quickly and it going directly into view mode is not what I need.  SO frustrating!

• Like 1

What have they been doing to this app?  My gosh, I have a note that I must keep updated regularly and now i have to go through some kind of black magic to make my note editable.  This is becoming unbearable.  (Premium user for 10 years losing faith in what used to be a great product).. Wake up dev and realize the impact of your "improvements" are making on the un-usability of the app.

• Like 2

I used to proudly promote Evernote to everyone in my circles. Now it’s an embarrassment: “oh, please stop talking, until I can edit.” Premium users should get a refund for this month of “view only” hell. 

• Like 2
On 7/1/2021 at 8:12 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks for these reports!  We are working on a fix for this issue that is scheduled for the next release.  Until this issue is solved we found that sometimes quitting  the app or closing the note and reopening  fixes the issue.

I just want to point out that this Evernote staff member said that the issue is being worked on and will be fixed via the next update, 8 posts down from the OP. Not sure if this is standard practice for this forum or not, but continuing to say you have the same issue is not helpful. When someone experiences an issue, it's nice if they can actually find the solution in a forum, which is made more difficult by everyone commenting how annoying the issue is. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, kyledonbaker said:

I just want to point out that this Evernote staff member said that the issue is being worked on and will be fixed via the next update, 8 posts down from the OP. Not sure if this is standard practice for this forum or not, but continuing to say you have the same issue is not helpful. When someone experiences an issue, it's nice if they can actually find the solution in a forum, which is made more difficult by everyone commenting how annoying the issue is. 

Personally I think the more users that say its a problem, the more serious and widespread they will then know it is happening so it might get more focus and more urgency. Heck, it might also help track down the cause to know its happening on many different devices and Android versions of etc. 

• Like 5
  • Ex Employees

Thanks everyone for your patience while we continue to work on a fix. We were unable to identify a fix by our scheduled 10.13 release date, but will release the fix as soon as we can. I will post an ETA for the fix ASAP.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5

Thanks for posting. I tried yesterday right after installing EN iOS 10.13, both on iPhone and iPad (iOS 14.6). In a probe of 10 randomly picked notes on each device I had not a single one in a read only status. Maybe just a coincidence ...

It's only an Android issue. 

This was mentioned in a memo called "What's new in Evernote for Android".  It was at the bottom of a section called Overview:  "In addition, we’ve added a few new controls, such as the ability to toggle light and dark mode independent of your device settings and a view-only mode to prevent accidental edits to your notes." 

So this view-only was done intentionally!  Stupidest idea ever!!!  None of the fixes mentioned work consistently.

STAFF, please just undo the last update and take us back to the previous version.  Then work on the fix.  When fixed, issue a new update if you want.

• Level 5

This is wrong - the switch to avoid accidental editing is in the settings of both mobile clients, iOS and Android alike. And it is there for a reason, which has nothing to do with notes locking up after an update.

A user with 1 post in the forum may now know about it - but a possibility to prevent accidental editing in mobile was one of the most frequent requests of users before v10. EN listened, and added that option in settings. It does not mean you can’t edit a note, it just takes another click to do so.

The „read only“ notes that happened after updating to 10.12 have nothing to do with that setting. It was a bug. My own test on 2 iOS devices after updating to 10.13 showed no more read-only notes. EN said no fix was included, so maybe it is coincidental.

How does this massive fail get through even the simplest of testing? It's hard to believe that nobody noticed while testing and thought "hey this will annoy the heck out of users"! And then for it to take days and still no solution? Come on!

On 7/1/2021 at 11:12 AM, Austin G said:

Thanks Austin.

The issue seems to be if Evernote hasn't been run recently it takes a while (30s?) to be 'ready' to accept edits. Until then everything opens in View Only. This is really bad for 'I'll just take a quick note' since I expect no delay.

Is there a way to filter out the conversation and just view replies from 'staff'. 

This form of support is very wasteful of one's time as it is. To have to read through endless conversation by many folks not in the know, internally within the developer community of the product, is increasingly wasteful.

• Evernote Expert
24 minutes ago, sprj1 said:

Is there a way to filter out the conversation and just view replies from 'staff'. 

This form of support is very wasteful of one's time as it is. To have to read through endless conversation by many folks not in the know, internally within the developer community of the product, is increasingly wasteful.

I don't believe so. These are created as user support forums but occasionally staff do jump up.  Paying subscribers have direct access to the staff support team through the support ticket system.

On 7/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, Austin G said:

When will this be resolved?!

• Shane D. pinned and featured this topic
On 7/1/2021 at 10:12 AM, Austin G said:

View only makes ever note worthless. The while point of having ecernotes is to be able to write and add to notes. This is the kind of thing that should have been prioritized and fired in 24 hours. When is new release with the fix scheduled to be released? Its already been SEVERAL weeks

• Evernote Expert
21 hours ago, Sais said:

How do I install 10.13?  If I go to google play, I just get the "open" button, rather than update.   I'm on 10.12 and very frustrated.  Thanks.

You'll have to wait until it is available for you. It isn't even announced yet so on this occasion I seem to have been at the head of the queue.  My experience is that it can take up to a week from being announced before Google Play releases it to me - other times it is almost instant.

Same here. Just bought a new phone and got the latest EN version. Now, note editing is cumbersome at best. I edit my To Do list some 50 times a day and having to close/open the note multiple times each time i want to edit it is very annoying. Evernote is a "note editing" app and not being able to edit a note is a major issue. i think the latest version should be rolled back to a functioning one until that problem is solved.

View Only.jpg

A quick workaround before Evernote gets their ***** together, if a note is showing read only, apply a random tag to it, remove it right away, exit the app by pressing back a few times if not needed, go back in and the note will be editable. 

Full disclosure, I didn't come up with this on my own, saw it in another post. 

What an absolute disaster you've created. Version 10 is ridiculous, and this latest snafu reduces your app to virtual garbage. And your fix will only a scheduled release, at a completely uncertain future date? No, that doesn't cut it, and you know it. Put out a patch immediately, for God's sake.

This is very annoying and should have shown up with proper testing, especially if it is due to a database change. Please stop making users the QA for this application.

User since 2008 here and I am very close to giving up on Evernote.

• Like 3

I've just experienced a note becoming view only whilst editing it! I made a change, moved somewhere else in the note, then when I moved back, it was view only. And in case you wonder, the change I made persisted, so it was definitely editable to begin with! 

Dear Evernote, (assuming anyone from the company actually pays attention to these boards)

I am going to give you 1 more week to fix this view only bug. If it isn't resolved before then I am switching over to OneNote even though I have another 10 months left on my subscription.

I just can't rely on your app anymore.

• Level 5

They load randomly while the app is active. If the app is not used much, loading all may take a while. When you try to edit one, this one is loaded specifically, that should be faster.

Normally they are loaded all after a while.

This is my experience from the EN iOS client, probably similar with Android.

Same issue. I've been using Evernote since 2010 and the recent updates with forced widgets and frequent view only problems are driving me nuts! What was a straightforward immensely useful app is being ruined by useless bloat and sloppy programming.

• Like 1

Just happened to me.  I'm using IOS.  Out of nowhere today, it said View only.

I figured I would try to make a copy and delete this note.  So, I went to "duplicate note".  I saw I would be able to edit the copied note, so I went into the original note.  The original note was now editable.  Must have been some sort of glitch.  Good luck guys.  Hope this works for you!

• Evernote Expert

If you follow the existing threads on this topic you'll see that there is a problem that is being worked on. I'd follow those threads to see when a resolution is found. I haven't, so far, suffered so can't comment otherwise.  It would always help to know which version of the app you are using.

• Thanks 1

Clearly Evernote doesn't consider this to be any sort of priority whatsoever. I suggest that each of us go to our respective app stores and give the app a new rating, based on everything that has gone wrong in recent months. Perhaps that will cause someone at Evernote to give a damn.

Hi, 

I have a potential temporary fix for those that are struggling with editing existing notes and are in a rush:

I turn off my data/wifi, and the edit button returns, then I turn them back on in order to sync.

Maybe this piece of information can also help the developers figure out what this friggin issue is? 

Same experience. Did double-Klick to open a note and it works.

Check your settings under "Notes" - "Edit protection". I assume that protection is bug-fixed now so we see this effect by using evernote.

• Evernote Expert
10 hours ago, Timom said:

Perhaps that will cause someone at Evernote to give a damn.

Perhaps they do, perhaps they don't. The quote you provided indicates that they are aware of the issue (which doesn't affect everyone) and that they are giving it attention. I've not seen any indication of which version of the app those with the problem are using. I'm on v10.13 and do not seem to suffer the View Only issue that has affected others.

Given the problems with the recent updates, the simplest solution is for Evernote to provide download access to earlier versions. In my experience both the 'Home' and 'View Only' problems were introduced around the same time. From the version notes it looks like rolling back to Android 10.7.2 would provide the desired functionality without the new bugs and bloat.

• Like 1

Been having this issue for a about a week now, would greatly appreciate a fix. I can deal with the lag from the react/electron versions, but waiting 15 seconds for the View only option to disappear is too much. 

Having this issue too.  Goddamn sad that a note taking app won't let me edit notes.  Evernote continues to get WORSE every upgrade!  It's almost like they want to drive premium users away.  Give us the old evernote back!

• Sad 1

I am having the View Only issue as well on Android Evernote 10.12. it happens after the Evernote app hasn't been used for a while. If I wait 30s then it switches from view only to edit and I can edit the note. There are other solutions listed here, but I suspect they are just ways of passing the time waiting for the 30s and don't actually make any difference.

I had an issue a bit like this with another app, I think it is something to do with the way Android unloads the app when it hasn't be used for a while. I tried setting Evernote to never sleeping in the Android settings for battery, background usage limits, but that didn't help. It took the other app designer some time to track down the issue too. 

Edit - version 10.13.1 for Android appears to have fixed the view only issue.

Edited by Focusp
Issue fixed