Jump to content

Slow startup since a few releases


Recommended Posts

Hello,

I adopted Evernote because it was easy to use and I could add a note very quickly (nice alternative to WINDOWS KEY "notepad" ENTER))

However, since a few months, I noticed that a new release is posted too frequently. Sometimes 2 in a single week! This is super annoying.

The second and main problem is that since a few releases, Evernote takes up to 45 seconds to startup. The app is unusable and I suspect it is synching in the background. This behavior is new and makes the app unusable in most scenarios.

Link to comment
On 7/9/2021 at 8:46 PM, pm00 said:

The second and main problem is that since a few releases, Evernote takes up to 45 seconds to startup. The app is unusable and I suspect it is synching in the background. This behavior is new and makes the app unusable in most scenarios.

It's actually astonishingly slow! I open up Evernote [10.17.6-mac-ddl-public (2775)] on my reasonably fast MacBook Air, and I click on a note, and it spins and spins. The note (whatever note I click on) is already available offline, so it can't be downloading. This is a serious usability issue, a very significant degradation.
 

Edited by viverechristus
First draft was rude.
Link to comment
11 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

First measure: Cmd-q the app, restart

Second measure: Log out, back in

Both closes all parts of the app (1) and reconnects to the server (2)

:) I wasn't clear, I guess. I'm not looking for a solution that makes it take even longer to open the app! I'm hoping that Evernote fixes the regressive upgrade so that the app opens and makes notes available immediately.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
  • Level 5

These measures are to be used when EN gets slow while using it.

If it is slow on startup, there is maybe a slow internet connection. My v10 install opens quickly when starting the app, so there is not necessarily a delay as you describe it. 

The last option is to issue a support ticket with an activity log taken after startup. 

Link to comment

From a fresh boot mine takes 15 Mississippi's to open which I'm quite happy about... don't need to save 15 secs.

I'm using a beaten up old Windows i3 laptop.

Not sure why some systems take longer, maybe many variables.

On the other point I don't really notice updates, maybe one every 2 - 3 wks. Usually only takes 2/3 mins to update.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
12 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

These measures are to be used when EN gets slow while using it.

If it is slow on startup, there is maybe a slow internet connection. My v10 install opens quickly when starting the app, so there is not necessarily a delay as you describe it. 

The last option is to issue a support ticket with an activity log taken after startup. 

Thanks. It's true that I have slow internet. But the previous version of Evernote didn't seem to be so slow on startup. The only change is EN, not my internet. So my guess is that something changed about the startup or syncing routine in EN itself, which adversely affects people with EN. This is all supposition, of course.

I appreciate the suggestion of opening a support ticket with activity logs.

Link to comment
10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The previous version started from the local copy. The new one starts from the internet right away.

You can install and run the legacy version side by side with v10.

Thanks, PinkElephant. I hope that the developers reconsider this move. I realize that it reduces the risk of creating note conflicts, but any syncing hangup on startup can now cause delays.

(OneNote for desktop seems to give access to the local copy of a note immediately, and if you then inadvertently create a conflict, it has a built in comparison tool so you can fix it.)

Link to comment
On 7/13/2021 at 7:23 AM, PinkElephant said:

First measure: Cmd-q the app, restart

Second measure: Log out, back in

Both closes all parts of the app (1) and reconnects to the server (2)

Logging out and back in seemed to help the start lag. Working on a Mac.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...