Web Clipper Fails to Load on Amazon Product Page Running in Chrome on macOS Mojave

• Level 5*

ISSUE:  Web Clipper Fails to Load on Amazon Product Page Running in Chrome on macOS Mojave

JMichaelTX  2021-07-07

Running Google Chrome 91.0.4472 & Evernote Web Clipper 7.13.8 ( on macOS 10.14.6 (Mojave)

• EN Web Clipper Consistently Fails to Load on an Amazon Product Page

• Like 3
  • Level 5

Just tried it with Safari, BigSur 11.4.

It works without any problems on Amazon product pages. Plus there is a cool feature I have never seen before: The WebClipper has a special option to clip from Amazon - it is the first clipping option in the web clipper menu when you open it on an Amazon page. It clips exactly all of the product information on that page, without the usual clutter like "Others bought this" and "You should buy that as well". It reduces the clip to the valuable content, with a simplified formatting :

375514192_Bildschirmfoto2021-07-10um01_50_20.thumb.png.427fe506df9bd89cd6df72d3b0af8a87.png

Exact same issue as JMichaelTX reported above.  My PC behaves just as he reported in his video.

Evernote web clipper will not launch on Amazon pages any longer.  It is exactly as JMichaelTX reported and shows in the video.

Windows 10 version 21H1

Google Chrome is up to date Version 91.0.4472.124 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Evernote Web Clipper Version 7.13.8

I also am running Evernote on Windows 10 and it the web clipper has not worked for at least the last week. 

Have a fully updated HP Spectre computer. 

Google Chrome - Version 91.0.4472.164 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Evernote Web Clipper Version: 7.13.8.31-f3c4893

This new direction of Evernote is very disappointing - the Android App on a Google Pixel is almost unusable and now this development. 

• Level 5

Makes IMHO not much sense to post here that something does not work on a Windows PC with a Chrome browser.

The thread was started because of a specific problem with the Amazon website (not not working at all) on a Mac using the Safari browser.

If you have a specific problem, open your own thread, or ask support.

Same issue. Whenever I try to use Web Clipper on an Amazon page (Safari 14.1.1 on Big Sur 11.4) it just sticks on "loading" and spinning. I try the "share" shortcut in the toolbar to add to Evernote or right clicking and selecting one of the Evernote options (full page, bookmark, screenshot) and still nothing. Right now I either just add it to my native notepad or copy the address and paste it into Evernote after going in a creating a new note. Either way it is not a convenient option. I have uninstalled and reinstalled web clipper but no change. It works fin on every other website though, odd since EN even has an "Amazon" choice in the clipping menu.

On 7/17/2021 at 4:17 AM, PinkElephant said:

Makes IMHO not much sense to post here that something does not work on a Windows PC with a Chrome browser.

The thread was started because of a specific problem with the Amazon website (not not working at all) on a Mac using the Safari browser.

If you have a specific problem, open your own thread, or ask support.

I think we understand that.  The main point for posting about Windows as well as MAC is that it's not a platform specific problem.  This issue with clipping Amazon products is happening in both 'worlds'.  Perhaps that is what that person intended.  I know it's the reason I posted since I'm working with Windows as well.  I have submitted a support ticket.  But the only suggestions I have so far have not addressed the issue (e.g. re-install clipper, clear cache etc)  I had already re-installed the chrome extension before they even suggested it.  Seems like a cookie cutter support response.  I had submitted that I was seeing the issue in both Firefox and Chrome on my personal laptop and in Firefox on my work laptop (didn't try chrome).  The fact that I'm seeing this issue in multiple laptops, multiple browsers, different browser versions, multiple OS's (per this thread) suggests a bigger issue than local corruption of data/configurations of the clipper.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Level 5

The very big picture is as I posted above, web clipper for me (yes, on my Mac, with Safari, and I really don’t need the feature since I rarely clip Amazon stuff) even offers a special „clip from Amazon“ option. It grabs all aspects relevant to describe a product and puts it all into a special clip format that holds all this information.

So my question is „Why one user gets a super special Amazon clip option, when others have trouble clipping it at all“. Since I don’t have an Amazon clipping problem, I can’t ask support about it.

18 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The very big picture is as I posted above, web clipper for me (yes, on my Mac, with Safari, and I really don’t need the feature since I rarely clip Amazon stuff) even offers a special „clip from Amazon“ option. It grabs all aspects relevant to describe a product and puts it all into a special clip format that holds all this information.

So my question is „Why one user gets a super special Amazon clip option, when others have trouble clipping it at all“. Since I don’t have an Amazon clipping problem, I can’t ask support about it.

I've been using that Amazon clip option for a good number of years.  It appears in the Save Clip dialogue list of clip formats, but only when clipping an Amazon page (like the Youtube option in this screen shot).  Not even sure why you are commenting in this thread if you don't use this.  Doesn't really provide much value to resolving this issue.

image.png.347c4b1e8249228b8c9c9a50bc8ebc90.png

• Level 5

It is posted here because the OP states he can’t clip Amazon content at all. Weird because there is even a special clipping option for Amazon pages in the WebClipper.

Probably it takes support to sort it out, because the ideas here in the thread up to now do not lead to a solution.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Ex Employees

This issue has been resolved and the fix will be included in the next web clipper release. There's still other fixes also being prepared for the release so no eta yet. We do understand Amazon is a very popular page and are working to get it to you all as soon as possible.

• Thanks 2
6 hours ago, Jay-Bob said:

This issue has been resolved and the fix will be included in the next web clipper release. There's still other fixes also being prepared for the release so no eta yet. We do understand Amazon is a very popular page and are working to get it to you all as soon as possible.

That's good news, thanks @Jay-Bob. Can you comment whether the next web clipper release will fix the bug related to Gmail emails with pdf attachments? Attempting to clip an email from Gmail will include the email and purport to include the pdf attachment in Evernote, but the pdf will not function like a "normal" pdf. It can't be viewed inline, can't be marked up, and so on.

• 3 weeks later...

Just solved the issue. The problem was that evernote trying to find webpage link inside the <head> while Amazon moved it into the <body> element. 

so to add it back to the head, just paste the following in the console

document.head.appendChild($("link[rel='canonical']"));

Clip the page and everything will work correctly. I suggest to use Tampermonkey to auto run the script. 

• Thanks 3

I agree workaround is not clean. It has been ~3 months since issue was reported, so I just wanted to post the solution for the dev team that its just 1 word fix not a complete rewrite of the code.

Hope they pick it.

• Like 3
  • 4 months later...

Strangely, you have such a problem. Try contacting customer support or just refreshing your browser. Outdated versions cause a hell of a lot of problems, and I've seen it myself! The last thing I ordered from Amazon was this scale https://www.amazon.com/Vont-Smart-Body-Scale-Black/dp/B08XYX8RDR/, and so far, I haven't had any problems using that platform. Especially the Web Clipper download shouldn't be a problem, and it has always worked very fast.