"Assign Tags" in Evernote 10 on Windows PC

For 10+ years, I loved how the "Assign Tags" window listed tags alphabetically with "Hide unassigned tags" button.

The new EN 10 "Assign Tags" hierarchy style of listing tags requires clumsy clicks, lots of scrolling and extra time : (

Any chance EN will return the old comfortable way as a second option?

Screenshot 2021-07-05 081508.jpg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, Duhtch said:

For 10+ years, I loved how the "Assign Tags" window listed tags alphabetically with "Hide unassigned tags" button.

The new EN 10 "Assign Tags" hierarchy style of listing tags requires clumsy clicks, lots of scrolling and extra time : (

I generally agree with you especially the "Hide unassigned tags" and the need to scroll. It is however quite possible to do the whole process from the keyboard using the arrow keys and the space bar. The ability to have the tags listed in their hierarchy or alphabetically would be nice.

Provided you can remember the first character (not always straightforward if you sometimes begin with punctuation characters etc) typing the first character in the add tag area of the note gives you an alphabetical list. Again you can do the whole thing without your hands leaving the keyboard.

Thanks. In a month or two, I'll install EN 10 again and give your tips a try. Hopefully EN developers will re-prioritize their efforts to re-implement basic legacy capabilities, like "Hide unassigned tags", before they continue developing bells & whistles, like the "Home" page... until now for me, EN 10 is a pig and the "Home" thing is just lipstick :D

• Level 5

Personally I doubt EN has a master plan to recreate each and any little detail of the legacy clients. It would be a futile attempt since the old clients were not unified. This sort of backsighted product plan would be very restricting.

This detail stuff from the old client for me is your lipstick - Home is a new function in its own right. It will start to live when a tasks widget is added. This converts Home into a veritable active dashboard.

• 1 month later...

The option to "Hide unassigned tags" is a great time saver. When I am doing research, I usually collect several Web clippings on the same topic. After this harvest, I select one of the notes and assign all pertinent tags. Then, I select all clippings and using CTRL+ALT+T I make all selected notes share the same tags. Very fast and efficient. The new version requires a lot of extra effort to do the same task. So, please please bring back the "Hide unassigned tags" option back.

8 hours ago, plcoelho said:

The option to "Hide unassigned tags" is a great time saver. When I am doing research, I usually collect several Web clippings on the same topic. After this harvest, I select one of the notes and assign all pertinent tags. Then, I select all clippings and using CTRL+ALT+T I make all selected notes share the same tags. Very fast and efficient. The new version requires a lot of extra effort to do the same task. So, please please bring back the "Hide unassigned tags" option back.

As you know which notes you are assigning the tags to why don't you select all the notes and add the tags in one go? That sounds like less work than your old way of doing it.

• Sad 1
  • Level 5

There is another solution: The viewing options in the tags section allow to sort the tags by occurrence. Often used ones move to the top, tags with no use to the bottom. This works on all clients, even on mobile.

It does not serve to assign tags, because of course the alphabetical order is broken. But to find unused tags and weed them out, the function is quite useful.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sorry, but both answers still fall short of the mark. When doing research, I seldom do it at one go. So, I cannot just select all notes and assign the tags all at once. In addition, I sometimes use previously tagged notes to create a first cut and review tags as needed. What is the difficulty about not bringing back the "hide the unassigned tags" option? Just adjust the previous code to the new Evernote.

I understand all the reasons that justified building a new app to make it an unified code across all platforms. It will be easier and cheaper to maintain. It also expedites features release in all devices. However, the new app still lacks many features that permit an user to have a more efficient experience and better control of the note format.

Hopefully, the development team will manage to "restore" some of the functions that make Evernote a quick and effective way to capture data from multiple sources in multiple devices. Right now, I prefer using both the Legacy and the new app on my desktop. The former gives better control on the notes formatting and faster productivity. The latter provides better compatibility between the Web and the desktop app.

12 minutes ago, plcoelho said:

What is the difficulty about not bringing back the "hide the unassigned tags" option? Just adjust the previous code to the new Evernote.

I have no idea, I don't work for Evernote. I was purely pointing out a solution to your original question which will work now. I too hope that the facility to hide unassigned tags will be returned but I can not control when and if that will happen. I agree that my solution is not as useful as I had thought given that you have modified your original workflow.

16 hours ago, plcoelho said:

After this harvest, I select one of the notes and assign all pertinent tags. Then, I select all clippings and using CTRL+ALT+T I make all selected notes share the same tags.

17 minutes ago, plcoelho said:

When doing research, I seldom do it at one go. So, I cannot just select all notes and assign the tags all at once.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 12:17 AM, plcoelho said:

I agree fully. My using Evernote/tags as a Ninja incorporates the hiding of unused tags, fast-typing first letters of tags I want to (un)assign, in groups, etc..  My productivity is slashed severely by the new Evernote and if it doesn't get up to speed for my use cases, I will need to find an alternative for me nd my colleagues. More details: