Google pixel 5 Evernote camera freezes all the time

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Do you start with camera mode on creating a new note, or do you first create a note and then add the camera through the „+“ menu in edit mode ?

The simplest workaround is to take pictures first, and import them later into the app. There are good free apps for scanning as well, so you can either choose camera or scanner, and mix it up later.

It doesnt matter what way i access the camera, it is when its doing its auto scan that it hangs, you try switch it to photo it freezes

I get that you can take the photos outside the app then import them in , but then whats the point in that ? Isnt the whole idea that it is supposed to streamline imports by having this auto scan function ?? its not good, i am an evernote user since 2010 !! app was better in previous version although in that one my annotation didnt work great , so  really the app was better for photos 5 years ago ......

• Level 5

The Android app looks like a can of worms to me. Since the same (?) app works pretty fine on iOS, it is hard for me to believe that it is EN that is making it that disfunctional.

No idea what to do about EN on Android. I am completely on iOS, no issues there.

Yes it is hard to believe but Evernote since version 10 is not capable to handle software for the Android eco system. I use several other nice and paid productivity software and it is all fluent, stable and functional on Android as well as on the corresponding desktop clients. Things can work, if you feel committed to your product and your customers. Never saw something on Android that was that substantially corrupted as EN10 as it is AND being released as productive client. If you don't get it to life after 2,5 years... is it likely you ever will at all? To me product management handles this like a forgotten and annoying appendage they just don't dare to cut off. Not that good a feeling to be this appendage as a customer. 😞 

• Level 5

The situation on Android is not good at all, no doubt.

Just a small correction: v10 for Android was initially released significantly less than a year ago, not 2.5 years as mentioned. Does not really make it better, it should have not been released at all while dysfunctional.

I don't know what you experienced on iOS but on Android it is about 2.5 years since evolution of EN 8.13.3 ended (and EN never touched it again) because EN went to develope the new EN10. It Is hard to realize for me too, but after this loooong period of developement we are still offered a software that would normally rather be considered to be published as beta.

• Level 5

EN iOS v10 is working fine, thank you, at least in general. I can’t judge for Android (but I think this is settled), but from the clients I know I would currently regard the iOS client as the best in terms of stability, performance and usability. A bit slow on older devices (no surprise, these are vintage 2014 and 2015, still running the latest iOS version and EN client).

What I miss is better support for the iPads features, and I definitely miss the app for the Apple Watch. Nothing topped the old watch app to grab a new note on the fly.

The initial release of the new iOS app was quite a disaster. But they got this solved pretty fast, 10.4 was usable, since 10.6 it pretty much works.

I am really surprised EN takes that long to even fix basic functionality of the Android app. Especially because they limited the use of the app to Android 10 and up (I have not followed up on this, but I think it still is there). These are relatively young devices with much more power than the aged iOS devices to which you can install and run EN iOS. In a negative meaning amazing why they have such a hard time. 

Hope the break the spell soon.

• Evernote Expert
17 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I am really surprised EN takes that long to even fix basic functionality of the Android app. Especially because they limited the use of the app to Android 10 and up (I have not followed up on this, but I think it still is there). These are relatively young devices with much more power than the aged iOS devices to which you can install and run EN iOS. In a negative meaning amazing why they have such a hard time.

I am pretty sure that the experience for some - perhaps many- Android users is that Evernote 10 works just fine. I would describe my experience in much the same way that you describe yours with iOS. I fear that the problem is the much more diverse devices making development and testing a significant challenge. The fact that I have no problems is no comfort to those who do have problems but it does give a hint as to why resolving the issues is more challenging in Android. The options to roll back to the older v8 for Android have been well documented and it is unfortunate that Evernote did not make that easier - it might have made life less frustrating for those who rely on Evernote on the Android device. Although I'm sure that there would have been complaints about the slowness of completing the development process from those same users ;)

• Like 1
On 7/4/2021 at 10:29 AM, conormcelvaney said:

Google pixel 5 Evernote camera is unusable, freezes every time I use it especially if I try to switch to photo when it's doing its auto scan thing

On 7/13/2021 at 11:44 PM, conormcelvaney said:

It doesnt matter what way i access the camera, it is when its doing its auto scan that it hangs, you try switch it to photo it freezes

I get that you can take the photos outside the app then import them in , but then whats the point in that ? Isnt the whole idea that it is supposed to streamline imports by having this auto scan function ?? its not good, i am an evernote user since 2010 !! app was better in previous version although in that one my annotation didnt work great , so  really the app was better for photos 5 years ago ......

Exactly the same for me. I got the same issue on Pixel 4 - Android 11 since the 1st day  of EN 10. I contacted the support who couldn't resolve it. I posted in the forum in may to point this out. No news since, except the 80% increase of the subscription prices ! I went back on EN 8, but how long the old app not maintained will do the job? Very deceiving after 11 years as a user... 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

No news, except spreading false rumors here: No subscription prices were raised, users of existing plans all got new features without paying a nickel more. One new plan was introduced, with additional features not available before.

You can spill your opinion here, but stick to the truth. Or learn your math …

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

No news, except spreading false rumors here: No subscription prices were raised, users of existing plans all got new features without paying a nickel more. One new plan was introduced, with additional features not available before.

You can spill your opinion here, but stick to the truth. Or learn your math …

@PinkElephant you are right, let's be factual and detailed. The truth is I am paying 45 dollars/year (i.e 35 euros) for a premium subscription until 2022. The new plan I will be paying next year will be 60 euros, i.e a 71% increase (thank you EN for not raising the price of a not-working and unusable app during the course of plan).

It sounds to me that there was a kind of tolerance around the 10 Go upload (I had sometimes got a bit beyond and I could still work with the app). Now this will be on the upgraded plan at 90 euros, 157% increase. 

What EN calls Boolean research will be on the 90 euros plan. If I understood well (but I am not sure of that), "boolean research" includes searching with keywords like notebook, tag: (useful for multiple tags on desktop) -tag:*, intitle: etc. It's not clear for me if this kind of research is still includes in the 60 euros.

That is for the "false rumor" on increasing prices, and sorry for not doing the right maths. The increase will finally be higher for me.

• Level 5

If you just paid 45$ until now, you were on a rebated Premium plan. Be happy about the money saved on it - these plans can be continued for the same price, and the same features. You will have access to tasks as every user does - which is the level of the Free plan. So it is the same plus basic tasks for the same. My math says zero price change, a little bit more features. See below for search.

If you go for Personal, it costs the same as a full (not rebated) Premium would have cost. Better tasks than in the free plan are now added. Same price again, zero payment change.

If you want to add a bundle of additional features that have not been available before (not on Premium, even not on Business), you pay more. The features are focussed on managing other people through your individual Professional account. This is the value added - the improved search is more a byword. You get more, you pay more - and nobody must upgrade. I will try, but up to now I will not make the move.

About search: The current search remains fully available for all plans. There is no cut, there is even an important addition to the search language: The new parameter is called CONTAINS and let you search for exactly that, for example for tag:holiday contains:pdf will find all notes tagged with holiday and containing a pdf file. CONTAINS allows as well to search for all tasks, all open tasks or all closed tasks, again combined with tags, notebooks, stacks or keywords. So everybody has gotten a better „advanced search“ by using the specific syntax.

In the EN syntax operators like AND, OR, NOT and ( ) have not worked. These are an alternative to the normal search syntax, and by the parenthesis you can build complex searches from them.This was not available up to now, for no plan, and that is what is called Boolean search.

If this is a killer feature for you, it means Professional, for a search ability that was not available in any old plan.

You can argue about the price now, you can argue about the bundling - but let us stick with the truth: Same (or improved) features as before, same price. More for more, that is IMHO acceptable because you have the choice to take it or leave it.

@PinkElephant Thank you for the useful explanation on search. The syntax operators like AND, OR, NOT will be great additionnal features indeed.

I agree I had a very good price for a long time. Actually, I am not complaining about the increase itself (which is only for my wallet, and not for recent users) but about its timing and context.

What I would expect from EN staff is the recognition of the failure of the Android development,  the setting of a timeframe to fix it (12-24-36 months, whatever they need) and in the meantime, reinstalling the old 8 EN version in the Android store, while doing basic maintenance if needed. Instead of that, they have only been doing minor bug fixes for the last three months. You only have to read the comments on App store to understand that EN 10 is working only for a few percent of Android users (and probably 0% for phones on Android 11). That doesn't sound good management to me.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since I don’t use Android, I don’t share the experience. The iOS client (which AFAIK has the same app code inside of the surrounding framework) runs pretty well. EN got most problems fixed within 3 months after initial release.

Why this doesn’t work for Android is an enigma for me - probably for EN staff as well.

But EN is a multi-platform service. Would you stop a plan rollout just because one of the clients is giving trouble ?