Make an Evernote iPad app like the Mac or Web versions, not the iPhone/iOS version

aukirk

Idea

Evernote on the iPad could be so great… but it is just a bigger version of the iPhone app. I actually find in some instances it is better to work in the Evernote Web version using Safari on my iPad, and that is what the Evernote iPad app should be like.

P.S. - also really would like side by side instances of Evernote on the iPad

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

25 replies to this idea

• Level 5

There would be iPadOS features very important for the use of EN. I think about the possibility to open 2 instances of the same app side by side. Many apps allow for it, Apple Notes for example. EN doesn’t - I think the underlying framework can’t handle it.

What one can do is open the web client on the iPad - at least some of the features become available through this workaround.

• Level 5

It is not possible to install the desktop version of EN on an iPad - unless Apple first allows MacOS to be installed.

The adaptation of the mobile app to the iPad is pretty good, talking about the GUI. But specific features of iPadOS like split screen or multitasking are not supported. I have no idea if this is going to happen - the current trend with the EN clients is to have the same look & feel, not to taylor them to OS and devices. 

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, aukirk said:

that is what the Evernote iPad app should be like

I'd like to see improvements to Evernote's iPad app and added my vote

However, I'm aware thar the iPad device and OS have limitations, and can not support features offered on the other platforms   
On the plus side, there are iPad features not available on the other platforms   
foe example: Apple Pencil (stylus)

When I say I’d like the iPad version of Evernote to be more mac OS like what I mean is for the iPad version to support the same keyboard shortcuts as the desktop version.

Command J for instance, remember that?

I’m not asking for any type of re-write of the app, just the very basics, Keyboard commands.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

As long as iPadOS is based on iOS, apps will be derivates of the mobile apps, not of Mac apps.

This does not utilize the power of the iPad, which leaves much to desire. But this is already rooted in the OS. The mobile EN apps use a different framework for that reason.

On 7/3/2021 at 11:24 PM, PinkElephant said:

The adaptation of the mobile app to the iPad is pretty good, talking about the GUI.

I disagree. The screen of an iPad Pro 12.9" is like a MacBook Pro 13". There is absolutely no reason at all to not display the exact same layout. Why are there only two columns shown on the huge screen of the iPad Pro? Ironically the web version used in Safari on the iPad displays what the app should look like. And take the Start screen: Why on earth are there no widgets available side-by-side? The stretched quick note widget in landscape on a 12.9" screen just looks absurd.

Don't forget that the old iPad version of Evernote (pre v10) had supported drag&drop. No more. And I doubt we will ever see things like multi-window (open more than one note!), real Pencil support and full support of the trackpad and keyboard. Yes, iPadOS is rooted in iOS. But that is no excuse to handle the iPad like a big iPhone - or like mobile apps at all (the iPad Pro with Magic Keyboard is my desktop computer). Evernote could have built-in iPad support in their "mobile framework" if they want to.

I totally agree with this, it really grates on me when apps treat the iPad like a giant iPhone - it’s not, it’s inadequate coding to me. I think for the most part this isn’t too apparent on the EN app, it is very noticeable on home though which really should have side by side widgets like the desktop apps. 

• Level 5

Apple treats the iPad like a giant iPhone - just need to look at the features both are getting.

The new iOS widgets for example - introduced on the iPhone with iOS 14 will only make it to the iPad with iOS 15.

EN Home widgets on the iPad are wider, and if you choose the narrow version, you can place 2 side by side in a row.

What I really miss with EN on the iPad is support for 2 sessions in split view.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

Apple treats the iPad like a giant iPhone - just need to look at the features both are getting.

Even if this would be true (which it is not), should this be an excuse for Evernote to not do a proper iPadOS version?

Apple has been introducing lots of specific iPad features since iPadOS 13Support for trackpad/mouse, full keyboard support (shortcuts!), support for handwriting with Pencil on system level, multi-window (opening the same app multiple times), drag&drop in and between apps, advanced file management and many other things. They also brought with iPadOS 14 a new standardized GUI layout for iPad apps to make a better use of the huge screen: Multi-level side columns, toolbars on top of the screen and other recommendations. Evernote does not support ANY of these things!

• Level 5

Thank you for your answer - did you try, or do you just write stuff to confirm your view of the world ?

1. My Magic Mouse connects to my iPad, and works inside of EN. Same with my Trackpad
  2. My external keyboards connect and works (3 different ones, all Logitech)
  3. Long press on the cmd-key shows the available EN keyboard shortcuts for the iPad. Fewer than for the Mac, but this is not the issue here.
  4. My pencil allows to write into a note, no problem, handwriting is recognized and converted into computer text. The text is inserted into the note. Where it is not converted is when writing into a Sketch area of a note - this is intentional, because it is a drawing canvas.
  5. Opening the same app twice does currently not work with EN (as stated above by me). The problem is that on all mobile platforms EN opens just one note at a time. 
  6. Drag & Drop works for text, does not work for other attachments. This is a bug (or a feature gap, depending on the definition), open since quite a while.
  7. User interface: EN has its own UI, that covers different platforms. It is quite obvious they can’t simply follow the latest UI-changes Apple may do isolated for their apps. There are other apps that don’t do that either, some of them iPad specific.

For me it still stands what I said above: The largest deficiency of EN on the iPad is that they don’t support 2 sessions side by side.

On 7/22/2021 at 11:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

For me it still stands what I said above: The largest deficiency of EN on the iPad is that they don’t support 2 sessions side by side.

Well, to name the pink elephant in the room: Evernote just stopped developing a specific version for the iPad with v10 and that is the problem. Bevor v10 they definitely did, e. g. the drag&drop support was pretty good (you could drag all files to the "+" button and that would create a new note with this file as attachment).

• Level 5

The iOS app was never separated in iPhone and iPad versions. Typical iPad features were not supported, like split screen. To tell it was ever better is pure nostalgia.

Now we have a mobile app, unified for iOS and Android. This is the course EN has been taking.

Tablet support is non existent - you can search the forum and will find posts asking for more for iPad (many), Android tablets (few) and Windows tablets like Surface‘s (some).

For me a lack of supporting tablets seems to be the issue, not helped by Penultimate being the near disaster it currently is. To focus this subject on iPads is too narrow.

10 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

The iOS app was never separated in iPhone and iPad versions. Typical iPad features were not supported, like split screen. To tell it was ever better is pure nostalgia.

I gave you a specific example (support for drag&drop was included in Evernote as soon as Apple had introduced it to the iPad), so obviously it is not pure nostalgia. What you call "split screen" is actually multi-window and this was introduced with iPadOS 13, so it is relatively new. Yes, Evernote had not supported it in v9, but at least they built in the real split screen support (running Evernote side-by-side with other apps) when Apple introduced it with iOS 9 (yes, that was so long ago).

The worst part of the iPad app right now is the implementation of Home. There is no reason that we shouldn’t be able to view multiple columns of widgets on the Home Screen. If they add a proper Home screen and implement keyboard shortcuts, they would fix 90% of why the app feels so bad on iPad… I think having multiple windows open would require the sync engine to move a little faster…would be too easy to cause conflicts. 

2 hours ago, Tommytime22 said:

The worst part of the iPad app right now is the implementation of Home. There is no reason that we shouldn’t be able to view multiple columns of widgets on the Home Screen. If they add a proper Home screen and implement keyboard shortcuts, they would fix 90% of why the app feels so bad on iPad… I think having multiple windows open would require the sync engine to move a little faster…would be too easy to cause conflicts. 

It is possible on macOS and Windows, so it should be possible in iPadOS as well. Regarding the Home/Start screen I agree totally. Just look at my screenshots:

• Level 5

Apple refrains from allowing MacOS on an iPad, even if it is an iPad Pro with an M1, the same SOC that fires a MacBook Pro 13“ or a new iMac 24“. The hardware would surely be up to it, but Apple draws a line between a full computer OS and the tablet version.

Now EN needs to make the iPad version compatible to the desktop clients ?

Come on, you may be used to send stuff like that to Santa, but you did not ever get that reindeer you wanted, didn’t you ?

For me what I expect from EN is that they finally enable what iPadOS allows: Split screen, which means as well access to more than one note at a time, and yes, for the peace of mind of some forum members drag&drop.

16 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Apple refrains from allowing MacOS on an iPad, even if it is an iPad Pro with an M1, the same SOC that fires a MacBook Pro 13“ or a new iMac 24“. The hardware would surely be up to it, but Apple draws a line between a full computer OS and the tablet version.

Now EN needs to make the iPad version compatible to the desktop clients ?

Sorry, I don't understand your logic. What has supporting multi-window (what you call "split screen") and allowing two columns in the Home screen to do with making the iPad version compatible to desktop clients? That doesn't make any sense. 

• Level 5

It won’t get compatible with a desktop, as long as Apple does not allow to install MacOS (or a iPad version of it) on an iPad.

If you want to know why, you should study a bit the difference between the current MacOS and iPadOS. For what you want especially the ability to support true multitasking is essential.

The Mac allows as many sessions as the hardware will support. On the iPad it is 2 in split view, plus another in slide over. And that is it, iPadOS won’t support any more.

Now you know why split view is what I would like to see. 

2 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It won’t get compatible with a desktop, as long as Apple does not allow to install MacOS (or a iPad version of it) on an iPad.

Nobody ever said anything about "get compatible with a desktop". What does that even mean?

I understand you are not working for Evernote and are just a user like the rest of us. Why do you keep coming up with excuses for Evernote why they are not making a proper iPad version of the app? What is your motivation?

On 7/25/2021 at 6:44 AM, gewappnet said:

What has supporting multi-window (what you call "split screen")

This is just meta, but where are you seeing it called "multi-window"? I thought it was called "Split View" (and PinkElephant has reference that multiple times in addition to "split screen" -- which is the same thing.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207582

I'm following the thread, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Boot17 said:

This is just meta, but where are you seeing it called "multi-window"? I thought it was called "Split View" (and PinkElephant has reference that multiple times in addition to "split screen" -- which is the same thing.)

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207582

That is why I keep correcting him. Split view is the multitasking ability to open two apps side-by-side. This exists since iOS 9 on the iPad and is supported by Evernote ever since. Multi-window was introduced with iPadOS 13 and is the ability of an app to open multiple windows (instances of itself). These could be hundreds of windows and yes, two of these windows could also be opened in split view. But the point of multi-window is that you could open multiple documents of the same app at the same time - not necessary at the same time on the screen (via split view or slide over). Microsoft Word supports it. Just open a Word file then tap on the Word icon in the tool bar and then on the "+" button. Now you can open another Word file ... and another ... and another. All Word files are opened at the same time and you can easy switch between them via swiping with three fingers. Now imagine this in Evernote: Open multiple notes at the same time! Just a dream, but a sweet one.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Reading your post I assume you never read mine ….

… that they finally enable what iPadOS allows: Split screen, which means as well access to more than one note at a time, …

Yes, but "Split screen" (split view) is not how THIS is called.