Can no longer copy-paste images from Snagit to Evernote in 10.X

Go to solution Solved by RyGuy08,

Hello,

I very frequently use Snagit and Evernote to create IT documentation. It seems since upgrading to v10.x, I'm no longer able to copy-paste screen grabs from Snagit into Evernote notes.. This works fine in other apps (Word/Powerpoint/Paint) but no longer works in Evernote. I've been stuck using Paint as an intermediary (E.g. I copy a screen grab from Snagit, paste into Paint then re-copy it into Evernote). I can't figure out what changed.

Does anyone have any ideas here or how I can fix this?

Thanks!

-Ryan

• Level 5*

Hi.  It's a fairly safe guess that your issue is something to do with the format in which Windows is pasting screen grabs into Evernote,  which is apparently not to v10's taste.  Paint presumably renders the image as PNG or JPG content which Evernote 10 can handle.

There are so many options here I hardly know where to start...

1. Use different screen cap software - there are thousands of apps offering the option,  including Evernote itself:  Use Evernote Helper for quick notes and screenshots
  2. Paste the Snagit shot to your desktop,  then copy paste from there into Evernote
  3. Paste the Snagit shot to your desktop,  using an Import Folder to get it into Evernote
  4. Use a word processor to 'assemble' your document outside of Evernote then attach that file to a note
  5. Use a word processor to 'assemble' your document and copy/ paste the content into a note
  6. Go back to Evernote Legacy for a while
  7. Talk to Snagit help to find out if they are able to offer any options or more information about screen cap formats
  8. Reach out to Evernote help (we're user to user here...) to give them some feedback and maybe get some changes made in future versions.

Windows: Evernote v10.16.7

Windows: Snagit 2021.4.1(64-bit)

Above are my current versions. I've been using Snagit for Windows and Evernote for years. With Evernote 10.x, the original Snagit preset no longer works, but I'll show you a workaround that fixes this. Also, there are two ways to copy/paste from Snagit to Evernote, and I'm not sure which one you are talking about.

Option #1: Screen capture with Snagit and then copy capture to clipboard for pasting into Evernote. This has always worked fine for me using these steps:

--  (1)Screen capture with Snagit, (2) use Snagit Editor to copy capture to the clipboard, and then (3) just paste (ctrl-v) clipboard contents into Evernote.

Option #2: Use Snagit Evernote preset to automate screen capture directly into a new Evernote note. 

-- Problem: The original Snagit preset doesn't work with Evernote v10.

-- Solution: Create a new Snagit preset for Evernote v10 using these steps:

1.    Preset Editor / Edit / Manage Custom Program Destinations.
2.    Hit the '+' icon and ’new program' and navigate to the Evernote v10 executable to add it.
3.    Then I created a new Preset with the new 'Evernote test' executable as destination.

I hope this helps....

• Like 1
On 7/3/2021 at 6:53 AM, BernieO said:

Windows: Evernote v10.16.7

Windows: Snagit 2021.4.1(64-bit)

Above are my current versions. I've been using Snagit for Windows and Evernote for years. With Evernote 10.x, the original Snagit preset no longer works, but I'll show you a workaround that fixes this. Also, there are two ways to copy/paste from Snagit to Evernote, and I'm not sure which one you are talking about.

Option #1: Screen capture with Snagit and then copy capture to clipboard for pasting into Evernote. This has always worked fine for me using these steps:

--  (1)Screen capture with Snagit, (2) use Snagit Editor to copy capture to the clipboard, and then (3) just paste (ctrl-v) clipboard contents into Evernote.

Option #2: Use Snagit Evernote preset to automate screen capture directly into a new Evernote note. 

-- Problem: The original Snagit preset doesn't work with Evernote v10.

-- Solution: Create a new Snagit preset for Evernote v10 using these steps:

1.    Preset Editor / Edit / Manage Custom Program Destinations.
2.    Hit the '+' icon and ’new program' and navigate to the Evernote v10 executable to add it.
3.    Then I created a new Preset with the new 'Evernote test' executable as destination.

I hope this helps....

I've been trying option #1 which is my ideal workflow but it doesn't seem to be working... I'm going to see if updating Snagit will fix my issue. I'm on 2020.1.5

With Option #1... You are probably already doing this.... but just in case....

When in the Snagit Editor, don't forget to click the "Copy All" icon in upper right to 'copy entire canvas to the clipboard'. Unfortunately, a Snagit capture doesn't seem to automatically put it in the clipboard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Solution

Sorry for the delayed reply here! -- Upgrading to the latest version of Snagit (2021.4.3) fixed my issue. It seems there was an incompatibility between the old Snagit and the new Evernote. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1