Evernote search - where it excels over others

I have been testing note/doc software for productivity recently. My core things have been multi platform, easy export and finally - search. I have been shocked at how poor so many are with search. For instance OneNote - no in note search on iOS - OneDrive doesn’t find most terms, iCloud only name search, Apple notes fails to index some words. I figured search would be a given but only Evernote has consistently found the words in the notes I knew they would be in. Why are so many so poor at search, for me as I build a knowledge base in my notes, search is the essential feature. 

It's still the single reason I have stayed with Evernote (legacy). Sure, it's clunky by today's standards, but I've still not found better (and I've done a lot of searching now).

Not sure for how long legacy will be around however...

26 minutes ago, avevers said:

It's still the single reason I have stayed with Evernote (legacy). Sure, it's clunky by today's standards, but I've still not found better (and I've done a lot of searching now).

Not sure for how long legacy will be around however...

I’m using 10 exclusively now across all devices. Once merge arrived that was key for me. 10 is a bit slower and does need more resources to run at times but I get home and tasks and a consistent ui for that, so for me that’s worth it…folks use EN so differently though so for others the trade offs are not as simple. Search remains excellent on EN10 for my uses. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, WilliamL said:

Search remains excellent on EN10 for my uses. 

Agreed, but I discovered that indexed pdf files are not searched  anymore, whereas the same search string in legacy EN returns the proper note. I'm a little bit puzzled because the search runs on the same server I would expect, independent from EN version ?

• Level 5

Search in legacy works locally, on the database on the device.

Search in v10 runs on the server. I have no problem with finding text in pdf files, or with text in pictures, both indexed by EN and OCRed by my own software. How does it show that indexed pdf is not searched any more ?

42 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Search in legacy works locally, on the database on the device.

Search in v10 runs on the server. I have no problem with finding text in pdf files, or with text in pictures, both indexed by EN and OCRed by my own software. How does it show that indexed pdf is not searched any more ?

Because EN10 doesn't find my notes with pdf attachments anymore while legacy does (I'm a Plus user). Premium user can't check this  because EN indexed search will be performed...

• Level 5

Plus is discontinued as plan, just supported for users that were on that plan since long. No surprise it’s feature set is incomplete.

This is important for these users, not for the majority that can’t subscribe to this plan.

If it does the job, legacy probably is the best solution.

• Level 5

Plus has search in pictures, but no OCR and no annotation of PDFs. I am not aware of a change in the documentation, but maybe EN did not really enforce it.

https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/209005157-Compare-Evernote-subscription-plans

Something similar is going on with the devices limit of the Basic plan: A lot of users in the forum complain about not logging in. This usually (for Basic users) is because they go above their devices limit with the next device.

• Like 1