Forced converted HTML note is not editable even after clicking on the magic wand?

After upgrading to latest windows version, one of my most important note is now HTML.  I went to web version and clicked on the bar that says HTMl.  It gave me the lightning wand icon that when you hover over says "simplify and make editable".  I clicked on it. Nothing happened.  What am I doing wrong?

• Level 5*
7 minutes ago, kkrathi said:

After upgrading to latest windows version, one of my most important note is now HTML.  I went to web version and clicked on the bar that says HTMl.  It gave me the lightning wand icon that when you hover over says "simplify and make editable".  I clicked on it. Nothing happened.  What am I doing wrong?

Hi.  One thing you're doing wrong is posting the same question more than once - I zapped your other post on this.  Don't know why the magic wand isn't working though - you say this is your 'most important note' - how big has it grown?  Only thing I can think of is that it might take a while to process a long note.  Maybe try copy/ pasting the content into a local word processor and re-save in a new note as text-only?  Or start an add-on note and add a link to the new note in the old header?

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, gazumped said:

Hi.  One thing you're doing wrong is posting the same question more than once - I zapped your other post on this.  Don't know why the magic wand isn't working though - you say this is your 'most important note' - how big has it grown?  Only thing I can think of is that it might take a while to process a long note.  Maybe try copy/ pasting the content into a local word processor and re-save in a new note as text-only?  Or start an add-on note and add a link to the new note in the old header?

Thank you for your prompt response.  And I am sorry about the double post.  My note is 11MB long.  I will try the couple of workarounds you suggested.  But the lightning wand didn't work in spite of waiting for a while.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

I try not to use very long notes like that - too much risk (as you just found) that a single issue will be a major problem.  If I'm making a series of notes about anything,  they usually get their own notebook or tag and I'll save my next entry as <date><title> keywords... so that a search on title gets me all the content and the dates let me sort them in order.  In this case you might want to keep this note content as a single word processor file attached to one note,  and make subsequent entries as separate notes...  maybe...

• Evernote Expert

Install the legacy version of Evernote alongside v10. Open the note in the legacy version which is likely to allow you to make edits as you wish. Once edited in Legacy you may find that it will edit inside v10.

Thank you all for the responses.  I decided to break up my note into several notes.  That was the only thing that worked after trying out several permutations (incl editing first in legacy and then going back to V10).  Plus I found out couple of tables that I had cut and pasted from internet were the bigger culprits.  So I just pasted them as plain text.  That decreased the note size considerably (by several MB).  All good now at least in terms of urgency.  However, the "simplify and make it editable" magic wand is pretty useless.  Even when I tried the wand with a test note containing just a couple of tables, it wouldn't work.  Go figure.  Maybe I don't know how to use it?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5
On 6/30/2021 at 9:38 PM, kkrathi said:

Thank you all for the responses.  I decided to break up my note into several notes.  That was the only thing that worked after trying out several permutations (incl editing first in legacy and then going back to V10).  Plus I found out couple of tables that I had cut and pasted from internet were the bigger culprits.  So I just pasted them as plain text.  That decreased the note size considerably (by several MB).  All good now at least in terms of urgency.  However, the "simplify and make it editable" magic wand is pretty useless.  Even when I tried the wand with a test note containing just a couple of tables, it wouldn't work.  Go figure.  Maybe I don't know how to use it?

AFAIK it is designed to work on one clip in a single note.

It is probably „magic“ because it somehow converts the HTML code without completely breaking the web content. I think it runs into problems when there are different ways of encoding encountered. But I can be wrong as well …