use old interface

Idea

I don't know how this got started in tech but your users don't want to constantly relearn how to use a basic tool that does one thing. I no longer use evernote because every time I open it I get bombarded with popups about this feature, or that feature, or take our tour. I don't want to take your tour, I don't want to learn about your new features, I just want the tool to do what it always did. Now I have to dork around in what is essentially a new app, which has caused me to revert back to my old note taking app (for the sole reason that the interface hasn't changed and I don't have to mess with it). Professionals use this software, you should know better.

10 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Who is „you“ ? Only other users around here …

v10 is a new client generation, and new features are added to the package. If you want to use them, you need to learn the new ways.

Else there are short term the legacy clients for desktops - end of life but still working as we are used to. They probably will stop working one day. When this happens, you better have a plan B ready to be implemented. Be it making your peace with v10, be it switching to another service.

Just be assured of one thing: Once you are happy because the software is not changing, look around carefully. Not changing today means being obsolete tomorrow, and out of business not long after. If you look at EN, IMHO they came close to this, and now try to make up for lost ground.

• Like 1

Yes...and EN 10 for Android is failing to be a production replacement for 7 months now. Quality is beyond beta and no substantial development on this quality aspect around.@nomanhasblindedmeI would suggest to slowly look for an alternative since the legacy 8.13.3 will sooner or later be out of service, when EN will cope with older Android versions and will even force their sluggish new framework to everyone.

• Level 5

As I understand Android, it is not up to EN to decide whether a user installs a client through an apk.

From what I see old clients are allowed access to the server for a long time. Only if the data structure it outdated, a very old client will not connect.

Conclusion: Android users can install and use  the old client , if this works better.

Same with desktop and the 2 legacy clients.

The only client that does not have a fallback is EN iOS. From my experience it is not needed, the iOS client runs pretty well.

• Like 1

The problem can happen with OS updates. Maybe Android 12 will change something up and EN v8 will no longer work. I doubt this will be the case, but still theoretically it is possible. That can be a problem, because v8 is no longer supported. So then my only option would be to install v10.

• Level 5

Sure, can happen. But v10 will not be the same (then), and Android is notorious for not allowing updates for many existing devices.

IMHO there is enough time to start worrying - then.

It is not Android that allows or denys updates to devices but mainly the manufacturers that use it with their hardware. And if you flash open distributions you can run the newest Android OS even on old "bricks" 😆 I did that, and it is quite impressive what these old devices are capable of. I keep fingers crossed, EN8 will keep on working with Android 12 when it is released in a few months. Since this is only little time left, I think EN10 will not evolve that soon to be a real option.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Sure, can happen. But v10 will not be the same (then), and Android is notorious for not allowing updates for many existing devices.

IMHO there is enough time to start worrying - then.

Yeah I have a Google Pixel and will get Android 12 immediately when it launches in stable version (in September?). I'm pretty sure Evernote v10 will still be a mess in that time.