Is this a farewell ?

• Stathis changed the title to Is this a farewell ?
  • Level 5*
36 minutes ago, Stathis said:

Alright, that's 2 free hours from me to you

Hate to break it to you,  but there's (mainly) only us users here... and while we feel (and share) your pain,  there's nothing much other to do than wait for improvements. 

I saw the writing on the wall and opted not to 'upgrade' to v10,  so am continuing to work happily in Evernote Windows 6.25,  Android 8.13 and (occasionally) web 10.x - as far as I'm concerned,  nothing is happening until those tools are ripped from my cold, dead devices.  

To get your message across to Evernote (which is an impressive summary, by the way),  maybe send a link to this thread to Support as feedback?

https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new

https://twitter.com/evernotehelps

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Stathis said:

I decided to spare the time to write this disappointment post. Let me note right here that the disappointments you will read in this post is just a small -but most recent- fraction of my 10 years awesome user experience with EN. 

Nice summary! Thanks for taking the time and also sending it to EN on proper developer/support channels. Hopefully they hear you.

I've been stumbling through the use of V10 for the few months and it's usable, but definitely slower than it used to be. I miss the speed with which I could move in v6 and sometimes I go back to Legacy 6.25 in Windows to get certain things done.

My biggest gripe is probably the 50 note limit.

That and the fact that mobile for Android appears to be in VERY bad shape, judging from the almost endless stream of very low reviews in the Play Store. It's so bad that I'm actually concerned for the future of Evernote. I've seen no indication from EN that they are even aware of the lambasting they are taking there from their customers, although I can't imagine they've not noticed. But there's no response from EN that I can see anywhere. Half of my time on EN is mobile and so I've turned off all autoupdates and am manually selecting 100+ apps to update, one at a time, in my Samsung Note 10+ just to avoid an update to Evernote.

My patience on that point is getting thinner and thinner, I must admit. Evernote should communicate back to their userbase on their crappy mobile experience.  The last meaningful video from management on mobile seems to be from a year ago.

image.thumb.png.630d653259351c884123ed8c64bf8de9.png

Meanwhile, check these reviews out... These are just from the last 24 hours and they are almost all one star, maybe 2.

736997032_reviews2021-06-29_11-59-08.thumb.png.eec7a7f66c8863d5ad5cbfa081e5ee3d.png

EN should start talking to their users about this or they are going to find themselves in a tight spot, IMO, and having a real tough time recovering from the negativity the mobile app is generating, at least on the Play Store.

Also, I'd really like to get back to letting my phone upgrade itself for a change.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hey @hanseric ! Thanks for sharing. The screenshot taken from the Google Play store is definitely something worths flagging. I had no idea the disappointment is that wide-spread, that's very interesting.

Let me quote a sentence from the reviews you posted: "Ruined a normally working app".

Exactly, I used to follow Phil anxiously to check out what new partnerships he might bring to the service, do you remember the Evernote store ? You could buy an iPad stylus, ScanSnap and a plethora of great partnership products. Now it's dead silence. 

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Stathis said:

And then... v10 came along.

Another vote for the Evernote Legacy product   
The v10 product is a work-in-progress, but imho not ready for general use

• Level 5

This is IMHO a very reduced view:

Web client: Better than before

Desktop: Improving, I would rate it at appr. 80% of Legacy 

iOS client: Better than before (just the Watch App is still missing)

Android client: This currently seems to be the weakest point in the setup - I can just follow what gets posted, since I don‘t use Android 

With home and Tasks 2 new features were added that did not exist in the legacy world.

This is my view, a mixed picture with light and shadow.

Great to have an opposing view, thank you@PinkElephant for joining our discussion.

I believe your 80% is very optimistic. Regarding the web client, I can't really have say since I never used it ! I think power users will never use web client, except when they need to access EN from another computer.

• Like 3
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

This is IMHO a very reduced view:

Web client: Better than before

Desktop: Improving, I would rate it at appr. 80% of Legacy 

iOS client: Better than before (just the Watch App is still missing)

Android client: This currently seems to be the weakest point in the setup - I can just follow what gets posted, since I don‘t use Android 

With home and Tasks 2 new features were added that did not exist in the legacy world.

This is my view, a mixed picture with light and shadow.

I use the android app and have no real problems with it...

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The experience is based on the individual use cases - so what for me is 80% will be 60% for somebody else, and maybe 90% for a third person. The web client is important for these users

• Linux users - the client is now in preparation, but up to now the web client is the only one working client. I use it on my Raspberry Pi - and it works on this little 60€ computers, a bit slow maybe, but it does the job. Especially useful because I save code snippets in EN.
  • Using EN on a computer where you can’t install software - like on the job.
  • As a references when troubleshooting - it allows a direct view on the data master on the server.
On 6/29/2021 at 9:15 PM, eric99 said:

I use the android app and have no real problems with it...

I use the Android app too and feature wise it is great. However, I find it slow and lagy. Something that I think got worse after the tasks feature was introduced. I like the task feature very much but I get the feeling that the app got slower after that was introduced.

So I inadvertently updated Evernote, not realizing the major changes and SLOWNESS of ver 10. I just couldn't hack it, I don't have the patience for attempting to learn something new to be able to continue doing what I've been doing happily and efficiently for a long time now. Call it old age, or whatever (just an aside, I still prefer Windows 7 over 10 and don't get me started about Windows 11). So I uninstalled Evernote 10, and installed the legacy version (6.25.2.9198) and while it looked like my old Evernote, it was still slow.... I uninstalled that and installed ver 6.25.1.9091 (from file hippo). That's more like it. This is the version I was running previously - fast, responsive and does just what I want it to do.

I will need to start preparing for when ver 6 will no longer work (mainly sync). Not sure what I can or will do, but I will not be paying for something that doesn't work for me. that's for sure.

• Like 2

V10 on Mac uses 80% more resources than legacy here. Until that's drastically reduced I won't be able to make the jump to 10 as I'm using EN to reference things while other CPU/Demanding tasks are happening.

• Level 5

My EN v10 on my Mac „behaves“ pretty well.

From threads in the forum I can see that if a high CPU load is detected, quitting the app (cmd q) and restarting most of the time stops the bleeding. Only closing it does not stop the runaway.

This is not a real solution, but better than nothing.

Update

EN Support responded to my message pointing to this post, I was surprised to see that the support representative took the time and had the knowledge to argue many of points raised here. That was surprising because in my experience support agents -at least front line- have no idea what are you talking about and just ask for more information. 

Arnold was very professional answering without exposing the new version’s fail. He explained that most of those issues are indeed there and the reason is moving from legacy. He also acknowledged the links issue to be true and not expected behavior. If only dev team (or better dev architect for technology decision) were that good.

Expanding on my complaints, I would like to just mention 2 new issues experienced lately. 

1. Used iOS safari extension to import a pdf, when launched EN, one more note was pending sync also ! I waited literally 10 minutes for those 2 notes to sync, but they never made it to the server

2. Just got my 2nd dose vaccination, at the front office they requested a medical serial number. I launched EN as I do since 2011 to find my serial number. It took me 3 minutes to abort waiting and search it in my e-mails. The note where I keep all this relevant info was created in 2013 and never experienced 1 damn issue to get it. 

Enough is enough everyone, I am now starting to search for migration options despite the fact that my subscription period is right in the middle of the paid year. I plan to create migration options/review/feedback posts, please contact me if anyone wants to team up, split the workload. 

• Like 6
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Stathis said:

I am now starting to search for migration options

You might want to start in the Forums here - there are already quite a few 'alternatives' posts flying around.  The only  effective way,  I suspect,  to fully evaluate another provider will be - once you refine the list to a top few - to try one out.

Anyone have any idea how long legacy will be supported? I suspect that the answer is "until it's not! " I'm just trying to decide how urgent finding an alternative is right now. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
16 minutes ago, major4579 said:

Anyone have any idea how long legacy will be supported? I suspect that the answer is "until it's not! " I'm just trying to decide how urgent finding an alternative is right now. 

Careful what questions you ask...  the answer to what you actually wrote is already "it's no longer supported" - no more updates,  no support apart from us dinosaurs here - though I'd think password issues and the like would still be handled...

As to what I assume you meant - "how long can i still use Legacy" - I have no inside information here,  but I'm assuming "indefinitely" applies - Evernote would have to do some pretty extensive reorganisation of their servers to cut off syncing for 'just' the people using Legacy versions,  and since a lot of people are using the old and the new side by side,  i'm not sure they actually could differentiate. 

The fact that I and a few others have had vaguely anxious emails asking why we're still using an older version suggests that take up from existing users hasn't been exactly overwhelming,  so unless and until you see wildly enthusiastic reviews (that aren't undercover marketing staffers) I'd suggest you relax.  You have plenty of company.

I would hope that Evernote - if and when that sad deprecation day comes - would issue a warning with substantial notice;  you should have 3-6 months to update or migrate.

You might want to make sure you have a full current backup of your account handy just in case of disaster.  Backupery is doing that for me painlessly on a daily basis.

Me 'n my 55K notes are still happy on Evernote Windows 6.25 and Android 8.13 with no immediate plans to vacate the premises.  😎

• Like 2

you are correct, I worded that wrong. I should have asked how long will sync work between my PC with EN ver 6 and my Android devices. You kind of answered that, thanks. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Personally I doubt they will really pull the plug. Legacy does not cost them anything.

It will probably die of old age, because an OS does not support it or whatever. You probably want to switch much earlier because new features will not come to legacy.

What could kill it would be a fundamental database redesign by EN. I don’t expect that (no inside knowledge).

• Level 5*
35 minutes ago, Stathis said:

Sounds interesting, any references on that ?

No problem - Backupery is a subscription package that will back up your Windows Legacy Evernote account at a pre-determined interval,  with an optional history level. I have a 30GB database and (currently) around 300 notebooks which would be a grind to backup as individual ENEX files so frequently.  

Backupery does that for me with no fuss every evening at around 7pm when you can - more or less - guarantee that the laptop is not being used.  I keep a running history of 6 days' backups,  and archive those away with a weekly system-level backup.  

(And yes,  Paranoia is my middle name...)

https://www.backupery.com/ 

• Like 1

Thank you @gazumped !

2 hours ago, gazumped said:

And yes,  Paranoia is my middle name...

Depends on the content you are storing in Evernote. I keep all my personal archive in Evernote, including medical data, scans, tax info, e.g.  To highlight the importance of Evernote, I once won a court just because I had captured a handwritten document in Evernote. Definitely not paranoia. 

That’s why I share complaints and thoughts, out data in Evernote is not just fiscal documents nor just contracts. It’s our whole life in there and it is very disappointing EN’s management consider it as just business

• Like 4
Posted (edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 12:13 PM, hanseric said:

Nice summary! Thanks for taking the time and also sending it to EN on proper developer/support channels. Hopefully they hear you.

I've been stumbling through the use of V10 for the few months and it's usable, but definitely slower than it used to be. I miss the speed with which I could move in v6 and sometimes I go back to Legacy 6.25 in Windows to get certain things done.

My biggest gripe is probably the 50 note limit.

That and the fact that mobile for Android appears to be in VERY bad shape, judging from the almost endless stream of very low reviews in the Play Store. It's so bad that I'm actually concerned for the future of Evernote. I've seen no indication from EN that they are even aware of the lambasting they are taking there from their customers, although I can't imagine they've not noticed. But there's no response from EN that I can see anywhere. Half of my time on EN is mobile and so I've turned off all autoupdates and am manually selecting 100+ apps to update, one at a time, in my Samsung Note 10+ just to avoid an update to Evernote.

My patience on that point is getting thinner and thinner, I must admit. Evernote should communicate back to their userbase on their crappy mobile experience.  The last meaningful video from management on mobile seems to be from a year ago.

image.thumb.png.630d653259351c884123ed8c64bf8de9.png

Meanwhile, check these reviews out... These are just from the last 24 hours and they are almost all one star, maybe 2.

736997032_reviews2021-06-29_11-59-08.thumb.png.eec7a7f66c8863d5ad5cbfa081e5ee3d.png

EN should start talking to their users about this or they are going to find themselves in a tight spot, IMO, and having a real tough time recovering from the negativity the mobile app is generating, at least on the Play Store.

Also, I'd really like to get back to letting my phone upgrade itself for a change.

WOW!!  Thank You for pointing out how bad the Playstore reviews are!  OF COURSE WHY WOULDN'T THEY BE!!!

This app isn't going to survive with reviews like that.  The overall rating is down to 3.8.  I don't consider trying new apps unless they are over 4.0 and typically need to be 4.3 or 4.4.

I CANNOT BELIEVE a fantastic product like Evernote was allowed to be "updated" with no project plan.  When I read the CEO's view that you just let the developers go without a plan - I KNEW THAT WAS BAD NEWS.  BUT I HOPED someone would come in and rescue them. 

Since I upgraded to Android 11, I've seen quite a few apps who have gone downhill and have been abandoned, looks like EN is going to be another one.  BUT GIVING UP ON THIS APP, is going to hurt ME A LOT MORE!!  : (

FYI.  I have not upgraded EN on my primary Android phone, a Samsung Note 10+, either.  With a Note 10+ you can now specify specific apps, you do NOT want to get updated automatically.  Pull up Evernote in Playstore.  Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner.  The last option on the menu is: "Enable Auto Update".   Uncheck the box beside "Enable Auto Update".  It does work.  I've had that setting in place for Evernote since last summer.  All my apps get updated automatically except for the ones where "Enable Auto Update" is UNCHECKED.

Edited by Sledr
Added additional information.

Hello everyone, just wanted to let you know that I have started the migration testing among a variety of apps. You are welcome to dig in !

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
15 hours ago, Sledr said:

FYI.  I have not upgraded EN on my primary Android phone, a Samsung Note 10+, either.  With a Note 10+ you can now specify specific apps, you do NOT want to get updated automatically.  Pull up Evernote in Playstore.  Click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner.  The last option on the menu is: "Enable Auto Update".   Uncheck the box beside "Enable Auto Update".  It does work.  I've had that setting in place for Evernote since last summer.  All my apps get updated automatically except for the ones where "Enable Auto Update" is UNCHECKED.

Actually,  with any Android 'phone running the current Play Store app you can do the same.  I had a Note 4,  now an S7 and used the same setting.

15 hours ago, Sledr said:

This app isn't going to survive with reviews like that.

Not sure how many hundred million users Evernote has on Android,  but I'd guess a fair few are still on older OS versions that aren't yet able to update to v10.  If you are still on the older version,  it works fine;  and if you're willing to find the old APK and install from a third-party store,  it is at least possible to step back from v10 to 8.13.  I'm sure they're working on it,  but Evernote have so many priorities at the moment that it'll take time.

I am also a long-time Evernote user who has continued to use Evernote Legacy in Windows due to the issues with the new version.  I can't recall another time when I was presented with a software "upgrade" which so many problems: 

• Abundant bugs
  • Loss of functionality --- They may have added something, but that is irrelevant if I can't use internal links properly.
  • Loss of readability  --- The UI may be "clean", but it is not eay to read and scan multiple notes.  That, of course, is an opinion.  But easy to read and scan is what I need, not a bunch of colored bubbles and large icons getting in the way.
  • Slowness
  • Excessive data use on Android.  I'll have to see about backing out to the older app so I can once again control the frequency of the syncing.

Thanks all --- Hoping for a better future with Evernote.

• Like 4

Hi Stathis

I totally sympathise with you and thought it would be worth sharing my Evernote history.  Also, before I begin, a disclosure - I moved to the Apple world entirely about 10 years ago so I do not need a cross-platform note taking app.

I first started using EN over 15 years ago (pre Phil Libin) and since then I have accumulated over 20,000 notes covering my personal and business life.  I used EN to go paperless and for to dos/reminders.  I became a premium subscriber when this was introduced and remain one.

About 3 years ago I decided I didn't like v. 8 introduced under Chris O'Neill's watch and decided to move to Apple Notes for my paperless requirements and Reminders for to dos/reminders.  Where I used to share documents out of EN for non Apple users, I commenced using OneDrive.  I have retained EN for two reasons - tags (I made extensive use of tags for my business use of EN and couldn't import these into Notes) and the ability to change the creation date of notes (which Notes currently doesn't have).

Since moving from EN to Notes, I have moved from being an evangelist for EN as a paperless tool to being one for Notes.  With the changes coming to Notes with iOS 15 (tags in particular), Notes is just getting better.  Also, Reminders is a better tool for me for to dos and reminders than Evernote was.

So why do I prefer Notes to EN?  I think the main reason is it incorporates a largely traditional file structure (i.e. you can go to 4 or so levels of sub folders).  We have all been brought up using sub folders in personal computing and I believe this paradigm remains more user friendly and intuitive for most use cases than tags.  That is not to say there is no role for tags - I have almost a thousand of them in EN for which I have a legitimate use.  Personally, I think EN is fundamentally flawed in only offering two levels of folders (i.e. stacks and notebooks).  Other than for reasons of sentimentality/tradition, I cannot see why EN doesn't replace the concept of stacks and notebooks with folders and with the option of multiple layers of sub-folders while retaining their rich legacy of tags.

The other main reason I prefer Notes is its simplicity and its attractive UX.  Unfortunately, to me at least, EN has become very complex and not very attractive.  

Putting it another way, in summary, I enjoy using Notes and I no longer enjoy using Evernote.

BTW, does anyone know whether:

1.  The creation date of Notes can be changed in iOS 15?

2.  The Note import tool in iOS 15 will enable EN tags and associated tagged notes to be imported?

If the answer to these questions is yes then with some degree of melancholy, I will be letting my Evernote subscription lapse.

• Like 1
On 7/3/2021 at 9:26 PM, gazumped said:

You might want to start in the Forums here - there are already quite a few 'alternatives' posts flying around.  The only  effective way,  I suspect,  to fully evaluate another provider will be - once you refine the list to a top few - to try one out.

This Windows 10 desktop version of Evernote 10 is a shocker. So many of the features prior to upgrade have been wiped and it is now rendered to being the slowest piece of junk software of all the programs I use. There is no longer a manual option to sync or sync schedule options. It looks and feels as if it is trying to sync every time I touch the damn keyboard!

It is so frustratingly useless I have no choice to migrate to something else.

I'm considering OneNote at this stage. Unless Evernote gets a big roll back release out in the next week they will be going the way of the dinosaur. My other option is that I may have to go back to a twenty year old version of Lotus Notes and develop my own database.

• Level 5*
On 7/8/2021 at 5:27 PM, jffe said:

So why do I prefer Notes to EN?  I think the main reason is it incorporates a largely traditional file structure (i.e. you can go to 4 or so levels of sub folders)

Definitely, if you need a folder structure - Evernote is not the right product for you    
(no folders, we get two metadata fields; Notebooks, Tags)
I'm surprised it took 15 years to discover this  🙂
Personally, Evernote has taught me the "traditional file structure" is an archaic relic;    
replaced with the much superior organization using tag methodology

Apple Notes is a fine product, but lacks the organization features supported by Evernote    
I'm happy that tag support is being implemented with IOS 15

My primary concern with Apple Notes is having my data locked in   
I know with Evernote, it's easy to export the data and move to a different service

I still use the Evernote Legacy product, but my choice for an Evernote alternative is Devonthink (Apple only)   
It imports Evernote data, including Notebooks, Tags and note attachment files    
Folder structure is supported
Creation date can be edited (not clear why this is needed)

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, rayjbrown said:

So many of the features prior to upgrade have been wiped

Actually,  a number have come back - which ones are you missing?

2 hours ago, rayjbrown said:

It is so frustratingly useless I have no choice to migrate to something else.

You could simply step back to the last public version http://cdn1.evernote.com/win6/public/Evernote_6.25.1.9091.exe 
(remembering to disable looking for updates in Tools > Options)

Or use the update that's meant to run alongside v10 so you can use both (just not at the same time...) https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote

• Like 1
19 hours ago, DTLow said:

Personally, Evernote has taught me the "traditional file structure" is an archaic relic;    
replaced with the much superior organization using tag methodology

I assume you mean Evernote replaced the need for more than 2 layers of folders as EN does incorporate 2 - Stacks and Notebooks. Or do you only use 1 notebook thereby effectively using only tags for your organisational requirements?  I have learned from my 15+ years of use of EN a combination of traditional file structure (ideally at least 4 levels) and tags is definitely the most efficient for me.  Different use cases will vary the optimal extent of reliance on traditional file structure vs tags. I think this is consistent with a trend within note apps to offer both. 

Thank you for pointing out DEVONthink - it does look very good for a power user. 

Also I agree that the inability to export notes from Apple Notes to another note app is a serious deficiency - but one I am prepared to live with given my circumstances.

Finally, having the ability to change the creation date is important for me in remaining paperless.  That is, within reason, I like to “file” notes at or near the date I received them/they were originated.

20 hours ago, DTLow said:

I still use the Evernote Legacy product, but my choice for an Evernote alternative is Devonthink (Apple only)

Also, it occurred to me the fact that one of EN’s most avid and supportive forum participants is still using the EN Legacy product and has arrived at a choice for an alternative should send shivers down the spines of EN management. 

• Like 2
19 hours ago, gazumped said:

You could simply step back to the last public version...

Thanks for the link to the Legacy App version. All good again thankfully. I get the impression that Evernote hired a cowboy in the change management space. If they had been following the proper ITIL procedures that V.10 would never have got off the ground let alone allowed to be released. - Thanks again - Ray (Australia)

• Like 1

Good summary. I have to agree and say that to me it seems that EverNote team really tries to PUSH ME AWAY from this platform!

I have been using Evernote for several years and there have been so many problems and most of them never got addressed!

- Desktop app is fine, but syncing usually does not happen even though I have it set to automatic or 5minutes! Result is that I write something on a PC, then go away and I DON'T HAVE IT in my phone if I forgot to manually click "synchronize"!

- shortcut bar on top in Windows app is gone so I have to use the legacy version because I want shortcuts to be easily accessible

- If I have something on my mind and I want to quickly type it, the notes are suddenly fking READ ONLY in the mobile app! Sometimes I manage to write one word and then keyboard disappears and I have to wait minute or so before I can edit! This has been happening for months on both Android and iOS and it doesn't look like anybody cares about such serious bug!

- web client has a problem pasting images but I don't use it for some time already, so maybe it has changed, because I am not a premium subscriber (fortunately...)

58 minutes ago, McVitas said:

I DON'T HAVE IT in my phone if I forgot to manually click "synchronize"!

Never experienced such an issue. Maybe because of the free tier ?

• Level 5

Syncing does not depend on the plan.

My experience is that the downsync in some cases (not always) takes several minutes, I had one occasion with half an hour. This means the new content was on the client where I had created it, and on the server (visible in web client), but for a while did not sync to other clients.

Usually a manual sync (available on mobile) solves the problem. This is one reason I favor a manual sync for the desktop clients as well.

The problem is reported to EB support, they are working on it.

• Level 5*
6 hours ago, jffe said:

Or do you only use 1 notebook thereby effectively using only tags for your organisational requirements?

Confirmed, I basically use 1 notebook; tags for organization   
I use notebooks for other purposes; private/sharing, online/local (Legacy), offline

>>need for more than 2 layers of folders

fwiw  I use a layer for a collection of files via the note attachment feature   
           This is in effect a folder

>>... if ability to change the creation date ...I like to “file” notes at or near the date I received them/they were originated.

I rarely adjust creation date, but I do use a subject date field   
Since Evernote no longer supports this field, I prefix the subject date to all note titles    
 example; 2021-06-01 Receipt [Groceries] ...   
  It's easy to adjust the date

>>send shivers down the spines of EN management

I think EN management are aware this technical switch will cause some user loss   
I received an email asking why I'm still using the Legacy product   
I replied that imho the v10 product is a work-in-progress, not ready for general use; there are some must-have features I need before considering a switch

went back to EN 7 .. 10 is a mess and the company is a mess.  Evernote was predicated on the idea of being able to simply take notes, put them in folder for organization and never worry as you have them everywhere.  not sure if its new management or typical functionality overload.  Simpler is better and Evernote is chock full of crappy stuff like Microsoft.  If anyone is listening at Evernote here is the user equation for user.  90% use 10% of the functionality.  10% use 90% of the functionality. Build software for the 90%.  The only reason I am still user is the basic folder hierarchy is better than anything out there.  Going to create Simple Note that basically mimics the EN origin lstratyey.  Notes anywhere and everywhere you want them ... in a simple easy format.  Revolutionary idea for a crowd, crappy software world.

I found Bear to have the best organisation system. Only tags, infinite nesting (well tried up to 5).

I just created a #Notebooks tag for the notebooks I used to have in Evernote and #Notebooks/My Notebook would be the tag for notes that existed in My Notebook notebook.

In EN I used to do something similar to what @DTLow is doing: 2 Notebooks for personal use: Inbox; Archive and all others for sharing purposes. Bear also tackled that too, because they automatically create an Archive section for all archived notes. This is why I found Bear organisation far superior to any other note app I have tested.

In addition to Notebooks, I used a manual tagging system that worked great: Nesting using dots, e.g. welcome; welcome.organize; welcome.organize.level_3 and so on. Then manually drag & drop to group them together. Overall, I had the same result since when assigning or searching for tag, the indentation system would filter the desired values thanks to the above convention. There is an article around that suggested this or similar system

Here is a screenshot of how that looks like in Bear...

Screenshot 2021-07-12 at 16.42.04.png

Also great functionality, yet so simple, when there are 0 notes of a tag, tag gets deleted automatically. Another cool feature is the icons that they auto-populate if they find a keyword they find relevant or you can select your icon among a selection.

• Thanks 1