Dragging a note from note sideview creates an evernote web link

In the Evernote 10 Windows Client, dragging a note from the side (note results) view to an open note, creates a link. Very convenient.

However, the link created is a WEB link, starting with https:// instead of evernote:// (applink). The problem is, when I am inside the Windows 10 client, this is pretty useless as it opens the web browser for that particular note (why? I am already inside evernote!)

Ideally, dragging and dropping should leave an applink (starting with evernote://) but I would also be happy with https:// links that point to internal Evernote documents, to open INSIDE the Windows 10 app. There is no need to invoke the browser version.

Right now to create a link, the workaround is cumbersome. I have to select the note, right click, copy internal link, go back to the other note, paste the link.

Ctrl-L which is supposed to copy the internal link does nothing as well, it just leaves a weird symbol in my note viewer.

• Like 2
  • Evernote Expert

@JorgB The release notes for the current version say 'Coming Soon - Need to link to one note from another? Drag it from the note list into the editor and Evernote will automatically create a link for you.' Is this what you desire? If so, it seems that it is on the list of things under review.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, John Jablonski said:

I believe you are using the incorrect keyboard shortcut for copying an internal link. I believe it’s Alt-Cntr-L.

I misremembered, I followed the shortcut as it is displayed behind the menu entry. It didn't work. I know it is a work in progress, but I just wanted to address this trivial fix (app link vs http link by dragging) 

40 minutes ago, agsteele said:

@JorgB The release notes for the current version say 'Coming Soon - Need to link to one note from another? Drag it from the note list into the editor and Evernote will automatically create a link for you.' Is this what you desire? If so, it seems that it is on the list of things under review.

Yes but it is already in there. I would have expected that functionality to be not present then, or reworded differently like "correct implementation of..." kind of thing. Like I said in the earlier comment, it is a simple fix but I wanted to just address a few discrepancies. 

• Opening https links to a web browser, that are internal links (other notes) instead of inside the windows 10 app
  • Keyboard shortcut not working 
  • Dragging not completely working

6 hours ago, JorgB said:

Ctrl-L which is supposed to copy the internal link does nothing as well, it just leaves a weird symbol in my note viewer.

You may have made a typo but the correct shortcut is alt-ctrl-L not ctrl-L

Dragging a note into a new note to create the link has actually been available for a while - at least the previous version - despite the coming soon that @agsteelepointed out. 

I agree that the default should be the app link with perhaps a modifier key to use when dragging if you want the web version.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just as an aside: I guess I'm not a big keyboard shortcut guy, because I think that's most of what I'm missing. I struggled for a while with the v10 Windows App but have recently switched to running Evernote in one of my Chrome Tabs. The performance seems good and the hassle of periodically having to restart the Windows App by killing all its behind the scenes Processes (in Task Manager) is a thing of the past. Remind me again, please. What are the real benefits of the Windows App? Maybe someday the perpetually "coming soon" Import Folder will appear there? In the meantime, the web app seems well maintained by Evernote.

7 hours ago, John Jablonski said:

Maybe someday the perpetually "coming soon" Import Folder will appear there?

The import folder was released in the release before last (10.16). Other than that there are some functions involving multiple notes that do not work on the web. I don't think issues about images only being a link when copied and pasted from a website into a note have been resolved in the web version. Obviously no offline access at all.

I generally agree though. The web version provides 95% of the what the desktop has so if you are happy with it you might as well use it.

Thanks Guys, I guess I've just adjusted my workflow to do without the Import Folder, but if Windows App V10 is working pretty well, maybe I'll give it another try :)

In general, however, I'm a happy camper using V10. I'm pretty impressed with Evernote pulling off a complete full-stack technology migration and there's been, for me, no reason to go back to Legacy. I moved my Windows machine to V10 pretty quickly after the upgrade to the iOS version. I am enjoying the consistent UI across platforms.

Best,

-- John