Sync issues

Hi,

Since the major update of Evernote, I have been having sync issues. The app is constantly creating duplicate notes saying that the original note did not sync correctly. This never used to be the case. Anyone else experiencing this issue or have a fix that I am missing? Thx!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can search the forum, there are some threads about it. I don’t have the problem - and I run EN on quite a bunch of devices.

As a rule of thumb if you have duplicating don’t open EN on 2 devices at the same time. I do, but as I said I don’t have duplication.

When closing EN on a desktop, use quitting (from the menu, on a Mac cmd-q), not only closing by the X.

I have a similar issue. I only use EN on a Pixel and since the update... I have been having synch issues and cannot find anywhere how to stop these issues.

Can anyone please help?

I have the basic service and do not have Twitter so I cannot open a ticket

The only sync issue I have is with timing, and this could be solved by giving us back the manual sync button.

Since I first saw Home, I thought of uses, mostly with mobile. Like today, I had some things I wanted to remember and a note I knew I would need. So I pinned the note and added some notes to the scratch pad. Both the desktop and mobile were running. The changes appeared on my mobile device sometime between 3 and 4 hours later. 

With the old apps, I would have done a sync on desktop followed by a sync on mobile and been ready to go a few minutes later. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

I believe many users want a manual sync restored.

A few days ago I had the situation that the upsync from v10 had executed, but the downsync won’t happen.

No way apart from somehow trying the app to restart to make it sync. Hours later, without a visible trigger, the content finally appeared.

Yes, please, sync button - the earlier the better !

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with dpryke.

The synchronization feature of Evernote has become deficient since the major update.

It is slow or randomly Inoperative. If you use multiple devices and share notebooks with others, you often experience opening a note that has not been synchronized, even after few hours the note has been edited on another device. If you did not notice that the note you are editing had been edited before, you finally get a duplication note when Evernote is finally trying to sync the notes.

There are a lot of other apps that rely on sync which are working well. Take for instance, iCloud Calendar or Contact. Why does Evernote not able to implement a similar working feature?

• Like 1

My syncing issues - miserably solved

I too use EN from many devices.  Let's put them in two categories: mobile (IOS) and desktop (Windows and MAC).  It seems that my sync issues all stem from mobile.  If I manually sync from my mobile device, I never have issues (which suggests they got it right on desktop only).  But, the moment I skip this step, I have sync hell.  It is now my practice to manually sync on mobile ANYTIME I use the app - I sync before making edits and I sync after making edits.  This has completely solved my syncing issues.  Unfortunately, EN buried the sync button in settings and it takes four taps to get to the manual sync.

I have heard people talk of a background sync on mobile, but in my experience, it either does not exist, or doesn't work, or is not turned on in my account?

So, now my gripe.. WHY should I have to do this?  Makes no sense.  I am hopeful that EN will address this in the near future.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Similar setup, but no sync issues at all. Does it happen cross all notes, clipped ones, typed ones, large ones, small ones ? On WiFi, on cellular, on both ?

Have you yet involved support ? Send them an activity log ?

You can initiate a sync in the mobile app by dragging the note list down a little with a finger, and let go. No need to go to the menu item.

• Confused 1

Thank you ScottM1234 for sharing this experience. Yes, in fact, taking care of manually sync before and after will avoid many syncing issues. But you are right, you shouldn't have to do this. The app should take care good care of that for you as other apps do.

And as PinkElephant is asking, the problem mainly happens with notes that my girlfriend and I are sharing via a shared notebook. No matter the device. Would it be iOS, MacOs or Windows, sync issues are encountered with all devices on WiFi or cellular and even Ethernet.

I did involve the EN support and exchanged a lot of information like the activity log. Also, the sync issue is doubled with an error message I frequently receive when I try to open a shared note belonging to a notebook initiated by my girlfriend : the note does not open and the message is «Note not available». The workaround is to close the app and reopen it , then the note is displayed.  I have been told that they are working on a solution for that problem.

Thanks for the finger drawing trick.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

My wife and me share several notebooks. No issues with these neither, not on syncing, not with „read only“ (except the read only problem that came with EN iOS 10.12 and went away with 10.13, as it seems).

Wish you luck with support.

19 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Similar setup, but no sync issues at all. Does it happen cross all notes, clipped ones, typed ones, large ones, small ones ? On WiFi, on cellular, on both ?

Have you yet involved support ? Send them an activity log ?

You can initiate a sync in the mobile app by dragging the note list down a little with a finger, and let go. No need to go to the menu item.

interesting that we can initiate a sync by dragging the note list in the mobile apps. Is there a way in the desktop apps to do this as well?

• Level 5

No - the desktop apps have none of these 2 options.

IMHO it is a contradiction to decide Desktop needs non sync option at all, and mobile has 2 of them. A laptop is no less mobile than a tablet - but often the tablet has an own mobile connection, which most laptops lack. So connectivity of laptops is worse than mobile, and a sync option  to enforce a sync would be the logical consequence.

• Like 1