"View Only" iOS update?!

• Level 5

My update went without any problems, iPhone 11 and iPad Pro 10.5, both on iOS 14.6.

You can try force closing and restarting EN, log out and back in to the client, and maybe restarting your device.

If this does not work, you should open a support ticket.

• Like 1
On 6/23/2021 at 11:14 AM, BrooklynBen said:

I'm a Premium subscriber. Updated Evernote on iOS this morning (iPhone 12 Pro with latest non-beta iOS build), and started looking at some notes. They ALL say "VIEW ONLY" at the bottom of the note. 

WHY?!!!!!

UPDATE (10 minutes later) magically the issue is gone - I can now edit my notes (I did not do anything other than close and reopen the app on my iPhone).

GRRRR! I am also having the same issue on my iPhone 12 with all Notes in “View Only” mode - will try log off/on and will submit support ticket if still an issue.

• Level 5

Had the same issue. When opening the newly upgraded v10.12 for the first time it says „optimizing database“. Maybe this is an aftermath of it.

It seems to go away by itself - at least when clicking on edit, the notes opened.

Had this happen on a handful of notes. Some like that for days even after doing all the normal note hygiene stuff - pulling down to refresh after edits, logging in out, even deleted EN and reinstalled it. Only thing I noticed to unlock it was editing the note on Mac, then edit instead of view showed up. Not really a good solution since I’m mostly on mobile these days.

this happens on Android too! I have to go out of the note, open another one and it sometimes work there and when I get back it works too. Sometimes I just have to go in and out of the note multiple times to enable edit mode. WTH?

• Like 1

I’m having the same issue too. It started yesterday and I was able to close out of the app and go back in and it reset to allow me to edit. Now it won’t even do that. I can create new notes but not edit at all. It’s stuck in view only mode which is so frustrating, especially since I mainly use evernote for my phone.

Still encountering this issue when I am in a rush of editing my notes. 

VERY inconvenient bug - please fix asap. This is not what I'm paying money for - might as well do well with default iOS notes.. 

Please stop adding worthless and useless features if they even theoretically compromise or lower the quality of product's primary intention - actually MAKING AND EDITING NOTES, quickly and effectively. All girlish addendums and subjective "quality of life" features are useless if primary program's goal is compromised. Please remove features that make me encounter features that lower my program-using experience. And think twice before implementing new ones, for that matter... Cheers!

Edit: encountered View Only bug today again. iOS 14.6. Please fix ;)

I’ve been running into the view only bug as well. I can self fix it by force closing the app (swipe EN app away) and get into edit mode easy enough as a work around. Definitely not a fun bug and very recent to me.  I submitted a support ticket and was told it’s a known issue. 

This is really bad. I'm constantly prevented from note taking on existing notes because of the View Only state. Clearly a bug, as it will resolve itself after a bit of time. 

It's super annoying, and although I'm not a paying user, it does nothing to entice me to sign up.

And pls, you're really annoying me with your 40% off deals and trying the FOMO with one-time offer rubbish. You keep offering! 

Change your pricing plan - note taking software products aren't complex that requires yearly subs. Offer a one-time price and I'll consider it, even despite the annoying bugs. 

• Like 2

Still encountering this issue when I am in a rush of editing my notes. 

VERY inconvenient bug - please fix asap. This is not what I'm paying money for - might as well do well with default iOS notes.. 

Please stop adding worthless and useless features if they even theoretically compromise or lower the quality of product's primary intention - actually MAKING AND EDITING NOTES, quickly and effectively. All girlish addendums and subjective "quality of life" features are useless if primary program's goal is compromised. Please remove features that make me encounter features that lower my program-using experience. And think twice before implementing new ones, for that matter... Cheers!

Edit: encountered View Only bug today again. iOS 14.6. Please fix ;)

On 6/30/2021 at 10:18 PM, McVitas said:

this happens on Android too! I have to go out of the note, open another one and it sometimes work there and when I get back it works too. Sometimes I just have to go in and out of the note multiple times to enable edit mode. WTH?

I'm having the same problem with android. My old phones running earlier versions of android seem to work fine but late phone and tablet running android 11 and UI 3.1 are view only.

This really isn't good enough for customers paying for the service. Do they never test out their updates?!!!!

Dear Evernote Development Staff,

As you can see above, you have many users that are frustrated, not to mention inconvenienced, with the “View Only” bug. Evernote has been one of our core apps for several years. It’s ease of use has been the app’s strongest points, as well as the speed of switching between notes. Now, precious time is wasted, randomly pecking at an iPhone screen, until the Edit option becomes available. 

Please, for the sake of your users, we implore you to fix this, or at least revert to an earlier build, so we may get our work completed in a timely manner. 

Thank you,

Scott Mead Photography, Inc.

On 6/25/2021 at 9:49 AM, luvmyc6 said:

UPDATE (10 minutes later) magically the issue is gone - I can now edit my notes (I did not do anything other than close and reopen the app on my iPhone).

GRRRR! I am also having the same issue on my iPhone 12 with all Notes in “View Only” mode - will try log off/on and will submit support ticket if still an issue.

It happens sporadically. I found sometimes it happens when I have Evernote open on my tablet and then try to access a note from my phone. I also have this issue when I add an image from either Skitch or Scannable (both Evernote products). Sometimes it fixes itself and sometimes it doesn’t. I honestly don’t fell any of our notes should be “view only” I’ve been a loyal Evernote user since 2009 and premium member since 2012 and I’ve found there always seems to be some issues every now and then. I blame it on their servers (unless they’re now using the cloud). 

First post! Is the "View Only" error on iOS fixed? How do you fix it? I feel everyone's frustration!

How do you edit disable in the app settings. I did not see it.

Edited by fileaway
more information and question
  • 3 months later...

Here is what worked for me! Hopefully it works for you too. 🙂

Step 1. View the note on another device or through a different avenue. 
    Example: if you are experiencing the issue while in the app, open Evernote in the browser (just a heads up - apparently Evernote is not supported on Android browsers. So if you're an Android user, you may have to log on using another device like a laptop or another phone with the Evernote app downloaded). If you are experiencing the issue while in a browser, open Evernote in the app. I personally was using Evernote through the app on my phone when I experienced the issue, and then opened it in the browser on my laptop. 
Step 2. The note should be editable. Make a change to the note. Anything works -- all I did was add a period to the beginning of the note. Then save the changes and refresh. You can delete any changes you make later.
Step 3. Refresh your notes in the original device you were using. 
Step 4. There should now be two notes in the original device. One should be titled as normal, and the other should say "Note conflict" at the beginning of the note title. 
Step 5. The "Note conflict" version should contain your most recent changes to the note before the read-only or view-only issue happened. 
Step 6. Copy and paste any new changes from the "Note conflict" note to the other normally titled note.
Step 7. The "Note conflict" note can now be deleted, and the originally titled note can be used as normal. 

YAHWEH bless you!