How to Export ALL notes?

With the old EN I could export all my notes at once. Now it only allows export of the notes I select (Max 50 notes).

I want to Click File > Export ALL of my notes in one go. How do I do that?

Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
On 6/22/2021 at 10:53 PM, leroyford said:

I want to Click File > Export ALL of my notes in one go. How do I do that?

As you pointed out, export selected notes is limited to a max of 50 notes   
We can export all notes in a selected notebook

Export "all" is not currently an option in the v10 product;     
I use the Legacy product which has this option

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As you pointed out, export selected notes is limited to a max of 50 notes   
We can export all notes in a selected notebook

Export "all" is not currently an option in the v10 product;     
I use the Legacy product which has this option

?  Isn't there an option on the Notebooks screen to right-click a notebook and export all* to ENEX (or, presumably, HTML) ?

EDIT: *the contents of one notebook

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, leroyford said:

@gazumpedI want to download ALL notebooks in one click, not individual NBs, one-by-one. Its insane the EN has removed this option.

Don't know how big your database is,  but that would be one complete download from the server.  (In my case 30GB!)

If several users tried that at the same time (and with 200M+ users,  that's probably a racing certainty) it would rapidly build up to the equivalent of a denial-of-service attack on Evernote's servers - and stop everyone else from syncing. 

I can see why they'd want to delay adding that option...  but as @DTLow pointed out the Legacy version does allow you to do that if you wish.

Be warned that exporting all notes will do exactly that: give you all individual notes,  plus their tags if you set that option.  Notebook information is not - and has never been - part of the export,  so there will be no way to assign notes back to the same structure they came from.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • 1 month later...

The latest blog post says that export all notes is back. That's good, because otherwise this product cannot be used professionally without trusting *their* cloud to never lose data. As an IT pro, I can't do that.

But I just tried with the latest version (10.7.6 Mac), and I cannot find how to export all notes.

Does anyone know how to do this, now that it supposedly is possible?

• Like 1
  • Level 5

The latest version is 10.18.3.

Export All never was a good idea, and this has not changed. The notebook information is not exported. You end up with a heap of notes, not knowing in which notebook they were located.

Better export by notebook, and call the export file to remind you of the notebook.

Or use a 3rd party service like backuppery.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mesoman said:

The blog says "the recent re-introduction of legacy features such as bulk export"

afaik this is not correct   
We are still limited to selecting 50 notes for export

An alternative is exporting all notes in a notebook   
There is no limit to number of notes

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info. I read the blog differently - as meaning you can do it the old way - go to All Notes, select all, and export.

I could put all my notes in one notebook, but that sorta does away with the purpose and usefulness of notebooks!

And, the new version somewhat crippled tags. If you have a tag hierarchy, it will only show notes at the bottom level of the hierarchy. The old version did not have that problem.

I hope my interpretation of the blog is correct. Otherwise, that alternatives are not pretty.

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

The blog says "the recent re-introduction of legacy features such as bulk export"

afaik this is not correct   
We are still limited to selecting 50 notes for export

An alternative is exporting all notes in a notebook   
There is no limit to number of notes

Hi folks, reading with interest the replies to 'leroyford' s original post here. I'm new to forum but been using EN since 2017 - currently on v6.25. I've resisted upgrading to the new v10 for just this type reason and worried about deprecating fundamental features like backup/export. I don;t know about the other members here but I do NOT trust cloud storage and any gurantees of integrity 100% and prefer to have my own copy of MY information thanks very much !! Unsure what 'gazumped' meant by causing a DOS attack on EN server when exporting data, I thought - and please correct if I'm wrong - the great feature I wanted here was to back up a LOCAL copy of my entire notes/DB on my windows PC - has this changed ??

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

I've resisted upgrading to the new v10 for just this type reason

You can have both Legacy and v10 products running side by side  

I use the Legacy product for data backup via export

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

the great feature I wanted here was to back up a LOCAL copy of my entire notes/DB on my windows PC - has this changed ??

My point was that if a lot of users tried to download large databases from the server there would be a capacity issue.  V10 currently keeps the whole database to itself on the server,  with only a 'temporary' working file on the local hard drive which is not available to users.

Legacy does keep the full database locally and that's what I'm using for backups here.  If you want to try out v10 but still keep backups,  then running the two side by side would appear to be your best choice.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

V10 currently keeps the whole database to itself on the server,  with only a 'temporary' working file on the local hard drive

I'm using a Mac and have a local "full" copy of data (optional)
Export does not require an internet connection; the export data is not downloaded from the server

For those who opted for no local storage, and internet connection is required,
and the export data has to be downloaded from the server

I also use the Legacy product for my backups

• Like 1
On 7/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, DTLow said:

You can have both Legacy and v10 products running side by side  

I use the Legacy product for data backup via export

Hi DTLow, that's great info and thanks, wasn't aware both would co-exist on the same machine, so I/you get the best of both worlds if I take the plunge - a way forward ! Much appreciated.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:41 PM, gazumped said:

My point was that if a lot of users tried to download large databases from the server there would be a capacity issue.  V10 currently keeps the whole database to itself on the server,  with only a 'temporary' working file on the local hard drive which is not available to users.

Legacy does keep the full database locally and that's what I'm using for backups here.  If you want to try out v10 but still keep backups,  then running the two side by side would appear to be your best choice.

Hi Gazumped, thanks for the reply and confirmation, it's as I suspected that the newer version/s are being moved to cloud storage and NOT what I wanted for my info and the design of original product.  Personally I prefer the cloud storage be used to store a replica of my local DB for distribution to my other devices (iPad / Android phone ) not the other way around.

General comment:

There comes a point though that they will retire the older versions (or discontinue updates and support) and when we come to upgrade our hardware (3-5 years ?)  find we can't locate the software.anymore and then forced to store in the cloud.

@ Evernote Customer Service:

Please can you at least restore or code in the feature to latest versions the option to store their complete DB locally, most may not need/want this, but I bet there's a core of us who - after spending 100's & 1000s of hours building their DB - want the reassurance of an OFFLINE hard-copy of their information that can be restored after failure or the 'Ransom-ware crew spoil our day !!!

• Like 4
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

a core of us who - after spending 100's & 1000s of hours building their DB - want the reassurance of an OFFLINE hard-copy of their information

I second that!...  🙂

• Like 2
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

want the reassurance of an OFFLINE hard-copy of their information that can be restored after failure

As discussed above, Evernote v10 maintains a local copy of our data   
It's used for offline access; limited use for "restoration"

As per the topic of this discussion; I use the export feature for data backups   
This is my solution for restoring data after failure

btw  There are different types of failure, ranging from accidentally deleting notes to Evernote shutdown   
         Do you have a plan on how to use the "OFFLINE hard-copy" for restoration

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

My doubt about the restore in v10 is whether a local copy will be regarded by the cloud as lead copy. I think it would simply be overwritten by the server data. 

Did anybody try it yet ?

I did a restore of the raw local database folder from my backups (Mac Time Machine)  edit: both Legacy and v10
This was offline from the internet; no danger of being overwritten in the server sync process)

Success  
While offline, I duplicated the notes I wanted to restore

Going back online and syncing; my duplicate notes were preserved

If they get the export notebook as PDF sorted out, I'd be set. At least half of my notebooks would only need to be done once for final archivals. I'd probably prefer that over the export as HTML from Legacy. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, DTLow said:

As discussed above, Evernote v10 maintains a local copy of our data   
It's used for offline access; limited use for "restoration"

As per the topic of this discussion; I use the export feature for data backups   
This is my solution for restoring data after failure

btw  There are different types of failure, ranging from accidentally deleting notes to Evernote shutdown   
         Do you have a plan on how to use the "OFFLINE hard-copy" for restoration

My comments were for two catastrophic failure scenarios.

1. Where the cloud database is corrupted either maliciously or otherwise and I want to sync with known safe/working copy.

2. Where my machine has failed/replaced and/or I want to restore from a known point in time, and need my LOCAL DB to be the master copy and overwrite the cloud data. (as Pink Elephant mentioned later in this post I see). In this instance you would need to reinstall a fresh copy of the EN software and then restore the DB.

But it look like you have already tried and proven this method in both Legacy and v10 but will reply to that seperately.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

I did a restore of the raw local database folder from my backups (Mac Time Machine)  edit: both Legacy and v10
This was offline from the internet; no danger of being overwritten in the server sync process)

Success  
While offline, I duplicated the notes I wanted to restore

Going back online and syncing; my duplicate notes were preserved

So this was a restore of the local 'folder and content' like a traditional backup/restore NOT a restore from an 'Export' of your notes on a fresh copy of the software?

This is giving me more confidence that the features are still valid and working in the newer version. I guess your DB is rather large if you only restored a selection of notes. Did you make changes to the offline notes and then saw the changes replicated.

Problem is, to check the status of which, Local or Cloud, wins in a restore or file/folder copy, I would have to edit and change my live database..............

...."Don't fix what isn't broken"..... is a voice in my head right now !!

I think its time to speak to and raise a ticket with EN Tech Support and get a definitive answer. Perhaps I'll ask for a free trial to check this on a new/separate account and feedback here at some point.

Thanks all for the replies and advice, much appreciated. Apologies to 'leroyford' for hijacking his post for a while 😉

#EDIT:

One thing occurred to me after re-reading PinkElephants comments, I suspect that in both an export- restore and backed up folder copy, I think the Cloud version of data may win once you execute a SYNC.

Backup/export date will be time-stamped and be older versions of cloud content and expect it will win in the scenario of restoring the DB to known date in time, rendering the restore useless...............

Another apology, I'm surmising here without proper knowledge.

Edited by MartinH9QP
Additional comments
  • Level 5

The basic question is whether the export feature is intended to be just that: An export for whatever use, but not for a Backup.

For a Backup, there is usually a restore routine as there is an export routine.

As I feel the intentions, this is not meant to be used for a backup (it is everything in the cloud, y'know ...).

BTW, I won: My ticket on this is running since yesterday 😇

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Perhaps I'll ask for a free trial to check this on a new/separate account and feedback here at some point.

Good luck with that...

I think the Cloud version of data may win once you execute a SYNC.

I think there's some over thinking going on.  The Cloud/ Server version will always 'win' in any situation where the cloud time stamp is more recent than the local version.  Your local app will always ask: "is this note 'last changed' date earlier than the cloud version?"  If the answer is 'yes',  it gets replaced.

I keep a full local backup history of my notes because I can restore individual notes and notebooks in case of issues - the 'restore' in my (Legacy) case being an import to my database that will allow me to "update" a note/ notebook with missing or corrupted data.  I've maintained a backup for as long as I've had an account with Evernote,  because that's just good IT practice.  I've had to use it once or twice in 12 years - and that was just to install Evernote on a new machine and replace that empty database with my own data.  Evernote's server then runs a check on note dates,  but doesn't replace any where the 'last changed' dates are the same - a much quicker process than downloading the whole database when you have over 50,000 notes...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

and need my LOCAL DB to be the master copy and overwrite the cloud data. (as Pink Elephant mentioned later in this post I see). In this instance you would need to reinstall a fresh copy of the EN software and then restore the DB.

You can't just "restore the DB"     
This only impacts the local copy; the cloud continues to be the master

To do a mass restore on the cloud requires a local export/import    
This creates a new set of notes, that will sync to the cloud   
The old set of notes will have to be deleted

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Good luck with that...

I think there's some over thinking going on.  The Cloud/ Server version will always 'win' in any situation where the cloud time stamp is more recent than the local version.  Your local app will always ask: "is this note 'last changed' date earlier than the cloud version?"  If the answer is 'yes',  it gets replaced.

I keep a full local backup history of my notes because I can restore individual notes and notebooks in case of issues - the 'restore' in my (Legacy) case being an import to my database that will allow me to "update" a note/ notebook with missing or corrupted data.  I've maintained a backup for as long as I've had an account with Evernote,  because that's just good IT practice.  I've had to use it once or twice in 12 years - and that was just to install Evernote on a new machine and replace that empty database with my own data.  Evernote's server then runs a check on note dates,  but doesn't replace any where the 'last changed' dates are the same - a much quicker process than downloading the whole database when you have over 50,000 notes...

I understand what your saying and that ultimately the cloud version is master. You can import an older copy of the note/book to fix corruption etc, make changes which time stamps this with newer date and over writes the cloud version under SYNC.

Then for replacement (new machine) overwrite the blank local database with backup, SYNC then checks/compares local with cloud and brings up to date.

Thanks for the confirmation once again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

A backup by export creates a copy of the notes in a notebook as an ENEX file.

It is not possible to restore the original notes from that export file. Instead you import the ENEX file into a new notebook. From there it will sync (all by itself) to the server, creating a copy of the Backup-restore on the server as well. This can eat your upload Budget pretty fast, just BTW.

Let us imagine this would happen without any changes done to the original notes in between. You then have 2 sets of the same notes, one in the original notebook, one in the import notebook. Both are on the server as well.

You could now decide you don’t trust the original notes. You would then delete them, and use the restored notes to replace them. But this is manual work. You can’t take the backup and tell it to replace the original notes when importing the backup.

• 5 months later...

I view this as an intentional move to prevent users from migrating to another platform. Who's data is this? Not mine, apparently. Has to be one of the shittier moves to keep customers that I've ever seen. I'm cancelling my account and moving to Nimbus. At 50 notes per export, this should only take 8-10 hours, given the SLOW performance of this bloated resource hog.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Blablabla - if you did your homework, you would know that you can export every single notebook in one go, independently from its note count. Exporting more makes no sense, since the reimport needs to be done per notebook as well.

With this hint, you will for sure be able to find out the rest yourself. Case you need it, there are pretty comprehensive help documents about it. EN knows the data belongs to us users, and describes exactly what to to to get them extracted.

Usually we go a bit further with assistance to our fellow users. But I have the impression this would not be appreciated here.

• Level 5*
18 hours ago, daveh99 said:

I view this as an intentional move to prevent users from migrating to another platform. Who's data is this? Not mine, apparently. Has to be one of the shittier moves to keep customers that I've ever seen. I'm cancelling my account and moving to Nimbus. At 50 notes per export, this should only take 8-10 hours, given the SLOW performance of this bloated resource hog.

Reinstall the legacy client and you can export at will.

• Level 5*
20 hours ago, daveh99 said:

At 50 notes per export, this should only take 8-10 hours

Why wouldn't you export by notebook - there's no note limit per export

22 hours ago, daveh99 said:

If you are concerned about export, then Nimbus is probably not the perfect choice according a poster on this forum (he had a very bad export experience with nimbus)

Anyway, in V10 you can export a complete notebook at once

• 2 weeks later...

"Anyway, in V10 you can export a complete notebook at once"

I just read the whole thread and am confused. Someone said there is a way to export all notebooks at once in the new version.

How does one do that?

Also, I had already organized by notes by tag, not notebook, which makes notebook orientation a nuisance. I did that because tags can have a deep hierarchy, while notebooks, for some silly reason, cannot.

So I am still on legacy version, but I know that won't last forever. Help!

• Level 5*
12 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

I had already organized by notes by tag, not notebook

Likewise, organized by tags     
No hierarchy; I use multiple tag assignments per note   
The hierarchy is reflected in my tagnames; for example !Budget-HousingRent

I basically used a single notebook to store my notes   
A full export is easier - all notes in the notebook

>Someone said there is a way to export all notebooks at once in the new version.

That is not correct.   
V10 only supports export of selected notes, or all notes in the notebook

• Level 5

The question is always: What for ?

For a backup I don’t think creating export files is the way to go. Much too much effort, not needed to be done that way.

For moving things to other applications ENEX is often the best method, because many other apps offer an import routine. This should be done for each notebook individually, and it usually is a one time operation. V10 covers it by the existing export routines.

On 1/16/2022 at 8:05 PM, DTLow said:

I have 71 notebooks (1111 notes). I also use tags, but my prime organization method is through the hierarchy (sometimes I wish I had more levels).

The DDOS question shouldn't be an issue, you could easily design an architecture that allows for local backups without overloading the servers (the export would be slow, but that's fine, I just want them periodically backed up on my end in case of disaster. My entire life is on Evernote!) I would pay >$20 a month for this. (Right now I'm at the personal membership level). Professional mentions "advanced PDF export options" but I suppose there is no export all option

Or maybe give us some guarantee that notes are backed up and completely disconnected from both Evernote PROD infrastructure and the internet or something like that.

• Level 5*

Hi.  

6 minutes ago, Trones said:

Or maybe give us some guarantee that notes are backed up and completely disconnected from both Evernote PROD infrastructure and the internet or something like that.

Subscribers get 'note history' which ensures that all notes in all accounts are periodically - several times each day - backed up to a separate store.  Evernote uses Google servers,  so the data centres and offline storage are probably as secure as you can get...

Use note history to view older versions of a note

• Level 5*
27 minutes ago, Trones said:

Or maybe give us some guarantee that notes are backed up and completely disconnected from both Evernote PROD infrastructure

I think it's unreasonable to expect Evernote to backup data "completely disconnected from the "Evernote infrastructure" 
Note that Evernote uses external server services (Google Cloud), and no longer maintain their own data centres   
I am confident the data is backed up   

Regardless, I still maintain personal backups in in a simple folder/file structure   
For an Evernote user, this would be export in html format

>>I have 71 notebooks (1111 notes). I also use tags, but my prime organization method is through the hierarchy (sometimes I wish I had more levels).

Tag methodology is Evernote's primary organization method  
I basically have  single notebook, with tags as my primary organization method   
Hierarchy (unlimited levels) is supported with Tags

• Level 5

@Trones If you wake up at night and loose sleep about it, quit. And do not switch to any other cloud note service, they all have a similar exposure.

There are alternatives that run off local storage, putting you into the driver seat.

But (of course there is a but) you need to manage everything yourself: Setting up, backing up, safe connection from outside of your home network, syncing over devices etc.

Now wake up and worry if the last backup got corrupted, you caught a ransomware trojan, your ISP will cut your landline …

On 1/16/2022 at 12:05 PM, DTLow said:

I'd appreciate it if you explain how are doing that with no limit ?I have both legacy and new version on my Mac. Thanks.

On the new version, I cannot find a way to export except by selecting individual notes. If I select all notes, it only selects the first fifty - on the new version. The old version will select all of them and export the whole mess - just go to "All Notes", select all notes (on the Mac, CMD-A, on Windows I'm sure there's a similar shortcut. , then do "Export notes" and choose .enex as the file type.

On the old version.

On the new version, I see no option to export a notebook, as opposed to the notes in it. If I tell it to select all notes, it will select the first 50 only.

I see three possibilities, and request help:

1. I am just not using the new version right - there is an option I cannot find to export by notebook
  2. You cannot export by notebook on the Mac version, but can on some other platform
  3. You cannot export more than 50 notes at a time

Thoughts? Help?

BTW... As one who was doing cloud stuff back when *I* architected a cloud (1974), and also using with others' clouds, I don't trust clouds. And keep in mind, the cloud itself can be perfect about losing data (and modern clouds are very good about that and have brilliant architects and coders), but the application itself controls what is in the cloud, and can mess it up, and can even mess it up at millions of records per second. Ditto if the application's cloud interface app gets hacked.. So I want this sort of critical data to be backed up locally, even if it cannot be imported as well as it should. The enex file is easy to convert (it's XML) if the unlikely disaster were to happen. 

Maybe I'm just paranoid, but in over 55 years of doing IT, I've seen my share of data loss disasters, and they are very painful.

Edited by Mesoman
Mistake
  • Like 1
  • Level 5*
14 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

Thoughts? Help?

If you have both versions of Evernote you have a choice.  Go to the Notebooks page in either and export your notes to ENEX on a notebook-by-notebook basis.  That way you get to keep the notebooks and tags assigned to each note.  (Exporting everything from All Notes into one file will give you the possibility of re-importing the notes into one notebook with no tags applied.  I use an application called Backupery (on Legacy) which does all of that for me automatically.

As to the permanence of clouds,  we're talking Google servers here - so I think backups and security come as part of the deal...

Good Grief, Sandman.

Every time I think that EN has gotten the new version to where I can do all more work in it again....I hit something ugly like this.

I also remember using computers in the 1970's....and I echo Mesoman.

This makes the third f**k-up with new EN for me, as a user. I think third strike is it. Its been a good ride, but the company has managed to get to where my cost in TIME to use EN for my purposes is adding up. If I have to start paying for the features I need one-by-one, it is time to evaluate moving on.

BACKUP is not a choice, it is a RELIGION....only GOD IS REAL. Those of us who have already been struck by lightening BELIEVE and act accordingly. The rest of you are just standing in a line until your number comes up. The Cloud is not a Backup. The Cloud is not a Guarantee...and the Cloud does not (AFAIK) include insurance that will compensate me for the value of what is lost when someone else screws up. How much is your life worth? I value mine quite highly.

Sad. Disappointed. 

• Like 2

gazuumped... Are you backing up 57,000 notes with the new version? If so, how? Tks.

I back up with the old version, but I *know* that sooner or later that version will not be available, or will become incompatible. That's how things go. SO it's a solution for now, but not for the long term. In fact, I only run the old version because I fear using both will lead to data corruption.

But if anyone knows how to do it with the new version, I'd love to know the steps (other than manually, 50 notes at a time).

Apparently EN just doesn't care about people having copies of their own data. A number of user have been complaining about this fundamental lack of capability since the brought out the new version. But they are busy adding sexy new features to move into the crowded corporate work sharing and organization environment, rather than addressing this basic need. As someone up-thread pointed out, their excuse that allowing full backups would dd them

And it may very well be that they want us dependent on their cloud. Silicon Valley can be very cut-throat, and that includes to their customers.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can export any notebook in v10 in one go, independently from the number of notes. Even a notebook with several hundred notes, full of attachments will export in a few minutes to an ENEX file.

You can backup the EN data folder on desktop with every backup program, in one go. I am running TimeMachine on my Mac and get a fully automatic backup every hour, including versioning going back for up to one year (depending on the disk space available on the backup drive).

Even when looking at legacy it is NOT advisable to export "all" notes. You loose the information of the notebook for each note when doing so, and end up with a heap of notes without the notebook structure. Thus it is advisable with legacy as with v10 to export notebook by notebook. The only benefit of legacy is the option for scripting the export, if you know how to.

You can run a full automatic backup with legacy using a service like backuppery. The only question is whether you are willing to pay double the price of a full Personal EN subscription just to get an automatic backup. Ar least this was the price position when I checked it out last. And it only works on legacy.

Personally I think that 1) choosing a cloud service is entirely your own selection - you could go for a locally saved program instead 2) Trying to run full backups on a cloud service is like suspenders and belt, plus superglue for your pants 3) asking for a specific way of backing up, and then claiming dark forces at work because THIS method does not work is nonsense. If you feel you absolutely need your own backup, you should accept ANY method that provides it.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mesoman said:

I *know* that sooner or later that version will not be available, or will become incompatible.

There's a lot of glass-half-emptiness around here...  Yes I use the Legacy version (actually the pre-legacy last public version) to generate my backups - I won't use v10 until I absolutely have to. 

I've said several times in the forums that I'm a firm believer in "if it works - don't mess with things" and while pre-Legacy apps had their 'features',  I at least understand what they are and know how to work around them. 

Yes Legacy will stop working sometime... but I'll cross that bridge if and when I have to - and meantime Backupery runs a backup of my 320(ish) notebooks and 57,000 notes frequently and independently without my having to script or muscle through it. 

I do use v10 in the Web version (occasionally),  and I also run a Linux v10 Beta,  so I'm getting familiar with the new UI - and as @PinkElephant has said - you can still export full notebooks as and when you need to,  though there's no way (AFAIK) to automate it at present. 

For someone with limited notes and only a few notebooks,  that's probably doable.  Me - not so much;  but I'm hopeful that Evernote will bring back scripting of some kind,  or Backupery will find a way to make their app compatible.  These are all questions I can worry about when and if,  not here and now. 

I got my backups - my paranoia is happy (though I know they're still out to get me...:ph34r:)

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mesoman said:

Thoughts? Help?

BTW... As one who was doing cloud stuff back when *I* architected a cloud (1974), and also using with others' clouds, I don't trust clouds. And keep in mind, the cloud itself can be perfect about losing data (and modern clouds are very good about that and have brilliant architects and coders), but the application itself controls what is in the cloud, and can mess it up, and can even mess it up at millions of records per second. Ditto if the application's cloud interface app gets hacked.. So I want this sort of critical data to be backed up locally, even if it cannot be imported as well as it should. The enex file is easy to convert (it's XML) if the unlikely disaster were to happen. 

I'm with Mesoman here !

Echoed my fears I mentioned last year (August 2, 2021) that the Cloud is NOT infallible, and although they have supreme backup redundancy with Google, any code glitch caused by malicious attack or bad/corrupted code on the interface side, either on their servers or our client software, could corrupt that 'master data' on the server.

I concede that EN technicians could revoke current datasets in favour of older clean ones, but as a few new posts have stated, if EN are victims of ransomeware on their storage, as part of a wider Google attack where does that leave us who have partial individual notes export using v10.

• Like 1
16 hours ago, bgrossman said:

BACKUP is not a choice, it is a RELIGION....only GOD IS REAL. Those of us who have already been struck by lightening BELIEVE and act accordingly. The rest of you are just standing in a line until your number comes up. The Cloud is not a Backup. The Cloud is not a Guarantee...and the Cloud does not (AFAIK) include insurance that will compensate me for the value of what is lost when someone else screws up. How much is your life worth? I value mine quite highly.

Sad. Disappointed. 

@ bgrossman

- Ditto your comments.

@Evernote Management

Stop fixing things that are not broken !!

Restore the EXPORT ALL Notes and Tags in the latest versions. Stop offsetting your responsibilities for data retention to 'someone else' and at least give your customers a means to keep safe 1000's of hours of our life's work that has immeasurable value - let us manage storage of this vital data as well, a 'belt-and-braces' approach to instill some lost trust in your product !!

EDIT: - MH

My knowledge was flawed on this last paragraph/comment of mine, there was never a way of using 'All Notes' export and retaining the notebook<> note associations I've been informed, this is only retained if I export individual Notebooks.

What I WILL ask the EN Powers That Be...

Can you add a backup facility that allows a dedicated backup of

• Notebook hierarchy, stacked/nested notebook organization
  • Notebook<>Note Association including tags.

For now I will rely on the sync option for when my new Windows machine arrives (Windows 11) and hope that v10 will reflect my current layout and data.

Edited by MartinH9QP
new info received
  • Like 1
13 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

You can backup the EN data folder on desktop with every backup program, in one go. I am running TimeMachine on my Mac and get a fully automatic backup every hour, including versioning going back for up to one year (depending on the disk space available on the backup drive).

Even when looking at legacy it is NOT advisable to export "all" notes. You loose the information of the notebook for each note when doing so, and end up with a heap of notes without the notebook structure. Thus it is advisable with legacy as with v10 to export notebook by notebook. The only benefit of legacy is the option for scripting the export, if you know how to.

Hi PinkElephant, 

Is that correct that the Notebook structure is NOT maintained using the 'All Notes' export ?

I use nested parent-child ''Stacks" of notebooks in some instances for organisational purposes (and yes I use tags as well for search etc) because it helps me visually to organise my 'stuff' and I can narrow down searches (tags and text) for the info I need without getting swamped with results from everything, and without a mile long string of Tags to narrow down the search !!

I've been lucky so far that I have not needed to restore anything, still using the same Windows device for management on v6.x. I've been using the Export All Notes to .ENEX for several years now and I also manually backup the EN folder quarterly just in case.

So, to recap and for other members following this...

• I/we should be exporting individual Notebooks to retain the notebook<>Note relationships and tags ?
  • If so will this also retain NESTED 'Stack' notebook structure ?
  • Not relying on Export 'All Notes' even using legacy versions (which i assume is anything pre v10) because a restore would just be a single folder full of Notebooks and notes?

Apologies for the questions, I know your not EN Tech Support but any feedback will be taken as friendly advice 😉

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, MartinH9QP said:

Restore the EXPORT ALL Notes and Tags in the latest versions.

<Sigh>  It has never been possible to export all notes and tags,  and for the reasons already stated several times above,  doing so would be an extremely bad idea.

I'm happily sitting on a year's worth of full ENEX backups of my account (by individual notebook) which are ready to re-import to Evernote or any competitor offering that option,  plus a few 'contingency' copies of my EXB file on a similar basis. 

In the highly unlikely event Google ever succumbs to a ransomware attack (or we get invaded by Aliens) I'll be ready - but I suspect the internet will be totally borked by that point;  if anything can get by their security (which also protects Evernote) there's likely no help for anyone or anything electronic.

• Level 5*

I/we should be exporting individual Notebooks to retain the notebook<>Note relationships and tags ?

Yes.  You always had to.  "Export all notes" from 6.25 does exactly that.  It retains tags,  but not notebook connections.

If so will this also retain NESTED 'Stack' notebook structure ?

Nope.  Never has

Not relying on Export 'All Notes' even using legacy versions (which i assume is anything pre v10) because a restore would just be a single folder full of Notebooks and notes?

When you restore an ENEX file it goes to a separate notebook (a local 'offline' notebook in Legacy) from which you can choose individual notes to replace existing corrupted copies,  or create new notebooks.

There's lots more here:  Export notes and notebooks as ENEX or HTML  and How does Evernote use my personal information and data?

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, gazumped said:

I/we should be exporting individual Notebooks to retain the notebook<>Note relationships and tags ?

Yes.  You always had to.  "Export all notes" from 6.25 does exactly that.  It retains tags,  but not notebook connections.

If so will this also retain NESTED 'Stack' notebook structure ?

Nope.  Never has

Not relying on Export 'All Notes' even using legacy versions (which i assume is anything pre v10) because a restore would just be a single folder full of Notebooks and notes?

When you restore an ENEX file it goes to a separate notebook (a local 'offline' notebook in Legacy) from which you can choose individual notes to replace existing corrupted copies,  or create new notebooks.

There's lots more here:  Export notes and notebooks as ENEX or HTML  and How does Evernote use my personal information and data?

Hi gazumped

Thank you, that's the definitive answer I needed 👍

• For my situation (and assume some others here) exporting individual notebooks  would be an absolute ball-ache - I have 157
  • My existing quarterly 'All Notes' .ENEX backups retain all the notes and information data and associated tags so content is backup up at least.
  • As for my 'visual' and search layout customization that I've expanded over many years I now know I would have to rely on the cloud data-set to retain/restore all of this structure, notebook<>Parent/child stack, Notebook<>note associations.

I guess then its time to spin up a VM and try this out.

One last parting question then,

When exporting notes from notebooks, if you select multiple notebooks from the 'List' pane, would the resulting .enex file retain the note<>notebook connection for each of the selected notebooks exported?

Thanks once again.

• Level 5

An ENEX file never retains the Notebook information. This data is not provided in this format.

The trick is to see the ENEX file as a derivative for a notebook. One notebook, one ENEX file.

When you restore, each ENEX file will import into a separate notebook. If the ENEX file holds the notes from one notebook, simply rename the import notebook after the original one, and you are back to your old structure.

If one ENEX file holds notes from more than one notebook, they all end up in one new import notebook, without an indication where the individual notes originally belonged.

ENEX simply is meant to be an export format - it was not designed as a backup tool.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
6 minutes ago, MartinH9QP said:

When exporting notes from notebooks, if you select multiple notebooks from the 'List' pane, would the resulting .enex file retain the note<>notebook connection for each of the selected notebooks exported?

In 6.25,  definitely not.  v10 not sure,  but I'd be surprised if it were different.  There is a way to separate the notes through - just add a tag to all notes in each notebook (again,  that's currently easier in Legacy than v10 because of the 50 note limit).  When you need to restore the notes,  search by that tag and move all notes to a new notebook.

Edit: written some time ago but I forgot to hit 'post' until now... Doh!

On 2/3/2022 at 2:29 PM, PinkElephant said:

An ENEX file never retains the Notebook information. This data is not provided in this format.

The trick is to see the ENEX file as a derivative for a notebook. One notebook, one ENEX file.

Thanks for the confirmation and will use your advice 👍

On 2/3/2022 at 4:06 PM, gazumped said:

In 6.25,  definitely not.  v10 not sure,  but I'd be surprised if it were different.  There is a way to separate the notes through - just add a tag to all notes in each notebook (again,  that's currently easier in Legacy than v10 because of the 50 note limit).  When you need to restore the notes,  search by that tag and move all notes to a new notebook.

Edit: written some time ago but I forgot to hit 'post' until now... Doh!

Great tip on using tag to identify the notebook, thanks again 👍

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/3/2022 at 4:48 AM, gazumped said:

<Sigh>  It has never been possible to export all notes and tags,  and for the reasons already stated several times above,  doing so would be an extremely bad idea.

It is possible. I have no trouble exporting all notes and tags in the legacy version. Go to "All Notes" and then Edit->Select All (or equivalent keyboard shortcut) then File->Export Notes.

The enex file contains tags associated with notes. It loses the notebook information, but since I organize only by tags, that's not an issue.

I cannot do that in the new, "improved" version. It puts a 50 note limit on selection. I see no way to export an entire notebook, much less all notes. 

Is there a way?

• Level 5*
2 minutes ago, Mesoman said:

Is there a way?

You can go to the Notebooks page in Desktop Evernote and export a notebook without a 50-note limit,  but there's no way (AFAIK) to export the whole database in one go.

• Level 5

You can export any notebook, independently from its size. If you only organize by tags, this should be no problem for you.

The note limit if selected individually can be raised, into the region between 500 and 1.000. There is another limit, that I don’t know exactly.

Thanks gazumped and PinkElephant!

I just put all my 848 notes into one notebook, and exported it from Legacy, and also from the new version. Both exported all the notes, although the new version exported 7 MB less of data. I'm not sure what that's about. The number of <note> tags didn't change.

Also, you could export attachments in the old version. Is there a way to do that with the new one?

Tks

• Like 1

Thanks. Yes, I saw some embedded, uuencoded (or equivalent) data. But I couldn't tell if it was an attachment, or an inline image. For that matter, I don't know if there's a difference.

I really love Evernote and organize. a lot of my life with hit. I do, however, worry that they are not going in the right direction. If I have to give up on notebooks to backup all my data, that's a step backwards. In my case, not a painful one, but if someone has organized their notes around notebooks and notebook stacks, it would be a real nightmare to change.

I went to tags originally because they didn't have a notebook hierarchy that went deeper than two levels, while tags can go much deeper. I am a big fan of hierarchies for keeping track of data, in addition to tags and searches. It depends on how you want to view it. So I did my hierarchies in tags. Works okay.

• Level 5

For a backup there is no need to use the export function.

Just grab the EN data folder and save it away. On Macs this happens automatically when TimeMachine is running in the standard setup. No idea on Windows. On both systems a restore can be done by replacing the existing folder by the backup folder, and log in again.

The export function (for all notes) is only needed in one case: To move the whole EN account into another application, once and for all. This is a one timer, and if it takes a rainy Sunday morning, I still do not think this would be a problem.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Hi Cal, my solution: Don’t empty the trash 😉

If there is a single note I want to be gone for good, I go to the trash and delete it a second time. But the rest I simply leave there.

From time to time I may go, select everything older than say 6 month and dump that part.

• Level 5*

Hey Christian,

Operative term is "accidental". 

Not a major issue for me as I didn't delete that many notes.  I did empty trash in a rote fashion every day or so though.  Backupery made taking backups painless.  In all my years with EN I used the ENEX backup less than five times to retrieve an oops .  All times I had unknowingly fat fingered the delete.  Frankly not 100% sure it was worth the effort, but I was able to get the notes back.  😊 

And ENEX was in my view the most effective way to backup local notebooks, not an issue in today's world.

• Like 1
  • 6 months later...

I've been their customer since 2010. This is a final straw. Why would you break functionality which was working? I backup my notes every half a year. And now I can't do that.

It's 2022, look around, there are so many alternatives which can do product management instead of killing a beautiful software.

Really sad to go, but there's no choice.

• Level 5*
On 8/28/2022 at 7:04 PM, Artsiom said:

This is a final straw. Why would you break functionality which was working?

Hi.  Maybe if you could explain what it is that you're missing,  we might understand the issue.  I can export any and all notes and notebooks in several different formats at any time.  Depending on what you're exporting and from where,  it may be easier in some instances to use the freely available Legacy version rather than the current v10.  I'm still backing up my notes regularly,  and I believe there will be more backup options from third party developers as they get to grips with a mature v10.

Still - your processes,  your choice;

On 8/29/2022 at 3:27 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Maybe if you could explain what it is that you're missing,  we might understand the issue.  I can export any and all notes and notebooks in several different formats at any time.  Depending on what you're exporting and from where,  it may be easier in some instances to use the freely available Legacy version rather than the current v10.  I'm still backing up my notes regularly,  and I believe there will be more backup options from third party developers as they get to grips with a mature v10.

Still - your processes,  your choice;

Hi! I have ~200 Notebooks. I'm missing functionality to back up my data. It's a pretty straightforward case. To back up all my notes, I have to do more than 600 clicks instead of 3 clicks in a competitor app. I wouldn't bother if it was in the very beginning (I wouldn't use Evernote in the first place then). It just bugs me that the working scenario was broken. But anyway, I've found the perfect alternative and cancelling my subscription. Sorry to vent here :)

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Actually I run a No Click Backup - by the TimeMachine that backs up my Mac. This includes the EN database folder.

As with any good backup, I can even go back in time to an earlier version.

The same can be done on Windows, using a backup software there.

The export of a notebook is mainly useful to move data, less so for backing up. Although users who organize by tagging and avoid a lot of notebooks even can run a backup by exporting. But the backup software is by far more elegant and professional.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, Artsiom said:

I'm missing functionality to back up my data.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:27 PM, gazumped said:

I'm still backing up my notes regularly

And I have 300+ notebooks.  There are methods out there...

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 11:43 AM, PinkElephant said:

Actually I run a No Click Backup - by the TimeMachine that backs up my Mac. This includes the EN database folder.

I was under the impression that V10 would not necessarily keep all your data on your local machine. In fact, I read that the rationale for not allowing full backups was the load it would place on the servers (which would be zero if all the data was local). So are you sure everything is *still* in that folder, rather than being cached there with the masters out in the cloud somewhere? If I create a note on my phone, does it automatically appear there?

So relying on Time Machine or other local backups may not work, unless my impression was incorrect.

BTW, where exactly are the notes stored on a Mac?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5

There is no need for printing to a pdf - there is a direct export to pdf option provided by EN. Print to pdf is only available for single notes.

Select the notes - File Menu - Export notes as pdf

With ver. 10.50 and up officially 100 notes can be selected in one batch.

Some options to refine the output are reserved for Professional and Teams accounts. What will not export are attachments to the notes (including embedded PDFs) -they will only be represented by their icons.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, just wanted to report back my takeaways from this thread.

1) I'm with the cautious folks on this thread. It takes just one mistake from the cloud provider to lose your data. To them, at worst, it's a hit to the stock price. To you, it might be a lifetime of information irretrievably gone.

2) The cautious folks are looking for more control here. I understand where it's coming from. I store more than 1TB on another cloud service.  I also have a local copy of that same data. Because it's organized by folders, I can quickly see any discrepancies between the cloud version and mine. Sometimes this has alerted me that cloud sync isn't running. Fortunately, on that service, I don't have to choose folders individually for backup on DB.

3) I can see that the Lvl 5 users here are trying to be helpful but I think they're talking past the cautious folks. The cautious folks keep trying to confirm that there's no way for them to initiate an export all, and keep their notebook structure. This is a totally straightforward request, and it doesn't help to hear that they should just want something different. The Mac Time Machine suggestion is esp unhelpful, as there are Windows users out there. The Github third-party solution is also not helpful, as some people don't just download free code and run it (the general public is advised to not do this, for security). Even if they could run it, this is confirming the concerns of us cautious types: that this capability doesn't exist in Evernote.

• Level 5

You can use any Windows backup software to do the full local backup that Time Machine does on the Mac. Personally I used Acronis, before I moved to the Mac. There are free backup solutions as well that will easily do the job.

About the Github project: Your decision to use it or not. What is your image of GitHub ? A collection of shady devs and evil hackers, pushing bad code at the unexpecting ? OK, then better inform yourself about one of the geratest achievements in modern software development.

About a full Backup: If you don't take advice, it can still be done manually, by selecting and exporting every notebook in your account. The more you use tags, and need less notebooks as a consequence, the simpler. Why should EN build ans maintain something in addition when it is for the few who intentionally don't use what better options are  available ?

Need help please with exporting a large folder..

On a Mac with V10 with four folders to export. A benefit of being an early adopter of tags versus folders :)

I was successfully able to export Evernote notebooks with .enex file type. And I was able to export as .html except my largest and most important folder... That folder would go through the export process until 33% complete... I tried this four separate times and got nearly the same result.... It got hung up at a different file each time, but at the same 33%. This folder has 25,000 files. .enex file export for this folder yielded 15 GB Perhaps there is a limit to the number of files or total size that can be exported via html in V10 on a Mac...

I could try exporting this stubborn folder in html with the legacy version, or on a windows machine.

Does anyone know if it's important to have these files in HTML format? I'm trying to futureproof here and cover bases.

And just in case you were wondering, I just renewed my annual payment for evernote, personal version.Been with EN since 2008.

I appreciate your help in advance.

• Level 5*

Hi.  If you're simply looking to backup your notes against possible data loss,  then ENEX files should be fine.  They are importable into Evernote - and quite a few of its competitors - but not readable as notes outside a host application. The only advantage of HTML is that you should be able to read notebooks and notes in a browser like web pages - but it is a more complicated export and clearly sometimes it can go wrong.

• Level 5

With HTML export there is still an annoying bug. The attachments are there, but when clicking on them in the browser, the files won't open. Happens in Safari and Firefox, I don't use Chrome. You need to go to the folder with the attachments and open them manually. This happens with HTML export, no matter if you choose one or several HTML files. I think ENEX is still the best way to archive or export.

For a plain backup I rely on TimeMachine. It saves the EN data folder together with everything else.

On 6/26/2021 at 5:35 AM, gazumped said:

Don't know how big your database is,  but that would be one complete download from the server.  (In my case 30GB!)

If several users tried that at the same time (and with 200M+ users,  that's probably a racing certainty) it would rapidly build up to the equivalent of a denial-of-service attack on Evernote's servers - and stop everyone else from syncing. 

I can see why they'd want to delay adding that option...  but as @DTLow pointed out the Legacy version does allow you to do that if you wish.

Be warned that exporting all notes will do exactly that: give you all individual notes,  plus their tags if you set that option.  Notebook information is not - and has never been - part of the export,  so there will be no way to assign notes back to the same structure they came from.

That's a terrible justification. It would be easy to split the download requests serverside to save performance and avoid throttling. I wouldn't mind waiting a day or even a week to receive my complete download, but there HAS to be an option for exporting all notes with one click.

• Level 5

Actually the complete download of the full user database already happens. When you dump the local database on a desktop client, next time you open the app, it starts to rebuild the local database.

Which in my case took 4 days, one a Gigabit internet connection, which was far from saturated at any time.

If anybody wants it, it is already there, on every desktop install.

• Evernote Expert

There are a handful of ways of grabbing a copy of all notes depending upon what you want at the end of the process. Backup the data directory that @PinkElephantdescribes. I schedule a Github project called evernote-backup. One can install the Legacy application alongside V10 and download all notes using that program although that is just a dump of everything into a single file without notebook structure. There is a project that will export as HTML.  I don't have details of that to hand.

Hello all,

I've read through this thread. Thanks all for your contributions.

I've also read the "3 Laws Of Data Protection" page at the official Evernote site. Quote: "We are committed to making it straightforward for you to get all of your data into, and out of, Evernote at any time."

Also, considering I am an EU citizen and the law gives me a Right to Portability (quoting Evernote official statement: "You can export your information from Evernote to a competing service.")

Noting also that I use Evernote exclusively on an Android phone and on the web, because Evernote does not provide any native client for my desktop/laptop.

I am still unable to understand what button to click to download a *full* dump of all my notes, with their complete data and metadata. (Ie. not losing valuable info such as which notebook each note is at.)

Have I missed something, or is the official state of things that such feature does not exist as part of Evernote end-user interfaces?

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
20 minutes ago, Dani CS said:

Evernote does not provide any native client for my desktop/laptop.

Hi - as a matter of interest,  what OS do your devices operate on?

As this is a mainly user-supported Forum,  you may wish to use the Support link to get the company's comments on this issue.  

• Level 5

EN provides desktop clients for the major 2 operating systems. You can use them, that’s up to you. No provider is obliged to offer fully automatic export solutions for every remote platform that may exist.

On mobile you can export any note, which means you can export all, but it will be no fun doing so.

You can try and request from support to be provided a full download directly from the server. You can post the outcome here.

No provider is obliged to offer fully automatic export solutions for every remote platform that may exist.

I respectfully disagree. The text of the law is rather easy to read: The end-user has the right to "receive the personal data concerning him or her, which he or she has provided to a controller, in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format." This imposes exactly zero burden to support any "remote platforms" so let's ignore your red herring.

I am expecting to find something identical to Google Takeout, Facebook Takeout, Amazon Takeout, where I click on a link and I am provided with a .zip file containing *all* my data.

I understand from the lack of clear answers here that such a feature is still missing in Evernote for end-users, in contradiction with Evernote's official commitment to data portability.

I will pursue the "contact support" approach that you suggest.

Thanks for your interest.

• Like 3

Replying to myself:

I will pursue the "contact support" approach that you suggest.

Well that was fast. As per the attachment, there is no such thing as "contact support" for my account.

So I'm skipping that step and contacting Evernote's Data Protection Officer now.

2023-02-23 14_31_09-Submit a request – Evernote Help & Learning — Mozilla Firefox.png

• Evernote Expert

As you will have read further up, there are multiple ways of exporting your Evernote notes that you have created.  However none of these relate to your personal data which are held by Evernote.  For that you will have to make a data access request.  So, if you want the data you have created in notes, then follow the options as above.

For the data access stuff go down the route you propose.

As an aside, the users most active in this thread offering advice as user to users are all European residents and subject to the same legal structures as you ;) The company's new owners are also in the EU so you should find some good understanding of EU law.

• Like 1