How to Export ALL notes?

With the old EN I could export all my notes at once. Now it only allows export of the notes I select (Max 50 notes).

I want to Click File > Export ALL of my notes in one go. How do I do that?

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
On 6/22/2021 at 10:53 PM, leroyford said:

I want to Click File > Export ALL of my notes in one go. How do I do that?

As you pointed out, export selected notes is limited to a max of 50 notes   
We can export all notes in a selected notebook

Export "all" is not currently an option in the v10 product;     
I use the Legacy product which has this option

• Level 5*
13 minutes ago, DTLow said:

As you pointed out, export selected notes is limited to a max of 50 notes   
We can export all notes in a selected notebook

Export "all" is not currently an option in the v10 product;     
I use the Legacy product which has this option

?  Isn't there an option on the Notebooks screen to right-click a notebook and export all* to ENEX (or, presumably, HTML) ?

EDIT: *the contents of one notebook

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, leroyford said:

@gazumpedI want to download ALL notebooks in one click, not individual NBs, one-by-one. Its insane the EN has removed this option.

Don't know how big your database is,  but that would be one complete download from the server.  (In my case 30GB!)

If several users tried that at the same time (and with 200M+ users,  that's probably a racing certainty) it would rapidly build up to the equivalent of a denial-of-service attack on Evernote's servers - and stop everyone else from syncing. 

I can see why they'd want to delay adding that option...  but as @DTLow pointed out the Legacy version does allow you to do that if you wish.

Be warned that exporting all notes will do exactly that: give you all individual notes,  plus their tags if you set that option.  Notebook information is not - and has never been - part of the export,  so there will be no way to assign notes back to the same structure they came from.

• 1 month later...

The latest blog post says that export all notes is back. That's good, because otherwise this product cannot be used professionally without trusting *their* cloud to never lose data. As an IT pro, I can't do that.

But I just tried with the latest version (10.7.6 Mac), and I cannot find how to export all notes.

Does anyone know how to do this, now that it supposedly is possible?

• Level 5

The latest version is 10.18.3.

Export All never was a good idea, and this has not changed. The notebook information is not exported. You end up with a heap of notes, not knowing in which notebook they were located.

Better export by notebook, and call the export file to remind you of the notebook.

Or use a 3rd party service like backuppery.

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, Mesoman said:

The blog says "the recent re-introduction of legacy features such as bulk export"

afaik this is not correct   
We are still limited to selecting 50 notes for export

An alternative is exporting all notes in a notebook   
There is no limit to number of notes

Thanks for the info. I read the blog differently - as meaning you can do it the old way - go to All Notes, select all, and export.

I could put all my notes in one notebook, but that sorta does away with the purpose and usefulness of notebooks!

And, the new version somewhat crippled tags. If you have a tag hierarchy, it will only show notes at the bottom level of the hierarchy. The old version did not have that problem.

I hope my interpretation of the blog is correct. Otherwise, that alternatives are not pretty.

10 hours ago, DTLow said:

The blog says "the recent re-introduction of legacy features such as bulk export"

afaik this is not correct   
We are still limited to selecting 50 notes for export

An alternative is exporting all notes in a notebook   
There is no limit to number of notes

Hi folks, reading with interest the replies to 'leroyford' s original post here. I'm new to forum but been using EN since 2017 - currently on v6.25. I've resisted upgrading to the new v10 for just this type reason and worried about deprecating fundamental features like backup/export. I don;t know about the other members here but I do NOT trust cloud storage and any gurantees of integrity 100% and prefer to have my own copy of MY information thanks very much !! Unsure what 'gazumped' meant by causing a DOS attack on EN server when exporting data, I thought - and please correct if I'm wrong - the great feature I wanted here was to back up a LOCAL copy of my entire notes/DB on my windows PC - has this changed ??

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

I've resisted upgrading to the new v10 for just this type reason

You can have both Legacy and v10 products running side by side  

I use the Legacy product for data backup via export

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

the great feature I wanted here was to back up a LOCAL copy of my entire notes/DB on my windows PC - has this changed ??

My point was that if a lot of users tried to download large databases from the server there would be a capacity issue.  V10 currently keeps the whole database to itself on the server,  with only a 'temporary' working file on the local hard drive which is not available to users.

Legacy does keep the full database locally and that's what I'm using for backups here.  If you want to try out v10 but still keep backups,  then running the two side by side would appear to be your best choice.

• Level 5*
8 minutes ago, gazumped said:

V10 currently keeps the whole database to itself on the server,  with only a 'temporary' working file on the local hard drive

I'm using a Mac and have a local "full" copy of data (optional)
Export does not require an internet connection; the export data is not downloaded from the server

For those who opted for no local storage, and internet connection is required,
and the export data has to be downloaded from the server

I also use the Legacy product for my backups

• Like 1
On 7/30/2021 at 4:31 PM, DTLow said:

You can have both Legacy and v10 products running side by side  

I use the Legacy product for data backup via export

Hi DTLow, that's great info and thanks, wasn't aware both would co-exist on the same machine, so I/you get the best of both worlds if I take the plunge - a way forward ! Much appreciated.

On 7/30/2021 at 5:41 PM, gazumped said:

My point was that if a lot of users tried to download large databases from the server there would be a capacity issue.  V10 currently keeps the whole database to itself on the server,  with only a 'temporary' working file on the local hard drive which is not available to users.

Legacy does keep the full database locally and that's what I'm using for backups here.  If you want to try out v10 but still keep backups,  then running the two side by side would appear to be your best choice.

Hi Gazumped, thanks for the reply and confirmation, it's as I suspected that the newer version/s are being moved to cloud storage and NOT what I wanted for my info and the design of original product.  Personally I prefer the cloud storage be used to store a replica of my local DB for distribution to my other devices (iPad / Android phone ) not the other way around.

General comment:

There comes a point though that they will retire the older versions (or discontinue updates and support) and when we come to upgrade our hardware (3-5 years ?)  find we can't locate the software.anymore and then forced to store in the cloud.

@ Evernote Customer Service:

Please can you at least restore or code in the feature to latest versions the option to store their complete DB locally, most may not need/want this, but I bet there's a core of us who - after spending 100's & 1000s of hours building their DB - want the reassurance of an OFFLINE hard-copy of their information that can be restored after failure or the 'Ransom-ware crew spoil our day !!!

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
2 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

a core of us who - after spending 100's & 1000s of hours building their DB - want the reassurance of an OFFLINE hard-copy of their information

I second that!...  🙂

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

want the reassurance of an OFFLINE hard-copy of their information that can be restored after failure

As discussed above, Evernote v10 maintains a local copy of our data   
It's used for offline access; limited use for "restoration"

As per the topic of this discussion; I use the export feature for data backups   
This is my solution for restoring data after failure

btw  There are different types of failure, ranging from accidentally deleting notes to Evernote shutdown   
         Do you have a plan on how to use the "OFFLINE hard-copy" for restoration

• Level 5*
1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

My doubt about the restore in v10 is whether a local copy will be regarded by the cloud as lead copy. I think it would simply be overwritten by the server data. 

Did anybody try it yet ?

I did a restore of the raw local database folder from my backups (Mac Time Machine)  edit: both Legacy and v10
This was offline from the internet; no danger of being overwritten in the server sync process)

Success  
While offline, I duplicated the notes I wanted to restore

Going back online and syncing; my duplicate notes were preserved

If they get the export notebook as PDF sorted out, I'd be set. At least half of my notebooks would only need to be done once for final archivals. I'd probably prefer that over the export as HTML from Legacy. 

15 hours ago, DTLow said:

As discussed above, Evernote v10 maintains a local copy of our data   
It's used for offline access; limited use for "restoration"

As per the topic of this discussion; I use the export feature for data backups   
This is my solution for restoring data after failure

btw  There are different types of failure, ranging from accidentally deleting notes to Evernote shutdown   
         Do you have a plan on how to use the "OFFLINE hard-copy" for restoration

My comments were for two catastrophic failure scenarios.

1. Where the cloud database is corrupted either maliciously or otherwise and I want to sync with known safe/working copy.

2. Where my machine has failed/replaced and/or I want to restore from a known point in time, and need my LOCAL DB to be the master copy and overwrite the cloud data. (as Pink Elephant mentioned later in this post I see). In this instance you would need to reinstall a fresh copy of the EN software and then restore the DB.

But it look like you have already tried and proven this method in both Legacy and v10 but will reply to that seperately.

14 hours ago, DTLow said:

I did a restore of the raw local database folder from my backups (Mac Time Machine)  edit: both Legacy and v10
This was offline from the internet; no danger of being overwritten in the server sync process)

Success  
While offline, I duplicated the notes I wanted to restore

Going back online and syncing; my duplicate notes were preserved

So this was a restore of the local 'folder and content' like a traditional backup/restore NOT a restore from an 'Export' of your notes on a fresh copy of the software?

This is giving me more confidence that the features are still valid and working in the newer version. I guess your DB is rather large if you only restored a selection of notes. Did you make changes to the offline notes and then saw the changes replicated.

Problem is, to check the status of which, Local or Cloud, wins in a restore or file/folder copy, I would have to edit and change my live database..............

...."Don't fix what isn't broken"..... is a voice in my head right now !!

I think its time to speak to and raise a ticket with EN Tech Support and get a definitive answer. Perhaps I'll ask for a free trial to check this on a new/separate account and feedback here at some point.

Thanks all for the replies and advice, much appreciated. Apologies to 'leroyford' for hijacking his post for a while 😉

#EDIT:

One thing occurred to me after re-reading PinkElephants comments, I suspect that in both an export- restore and backed up folder copy, I think the Cloud version of data may win once you execute a SYNC.

Backup/export date will be time-stamped and be older versions of cloud content and expect it will win in the scenario of restoring the DB to known date in time, rendering the restore useless...............

Another apology, I'm surmising here without proper knowledge.

Edited by MartinH9QP
Additional comments
  • Level 5

The basic question is whether the export feature is intended to be just that: An export for whatever use, but not for a Backup.

For a Backup, there is usually a restore routine as there is an export routine.

As I feel the intentions, this is not meant to be used for a backup (it is everything in the cloud, y'know ...).

BTW, I won: My ticket on this is running since yesterday 😇

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

Perhaps I'll ask for a free trial to check this on a new/separate account and feedback here at some point.

Good luck with that...

I think the Cloud version of data may win once you execute a SYNC.

I think there's some over thinking going on.  The Cloud/ Server version will always 'win' in any situation where the cloud time stamp is more recent than the local version.  Your local app will always ask: "is this note 'last changed' date earlier than the cloud version?"  If the answer is 'yes',  it gets replaced.

I keep a full local backup history of my notes because I can restore individual notes and notebooks in case of issues - the 'restore' in my (Legacy) case being an import to my database that will allow me to "update" a note/ notebook with missing or corrupted data.  I've maintained a backup for as long as I've had an account with Evernote,  because that's just good IT practice.  I've had to use it once or twice in 12 years - and that was just to install Evernote on a new machine and replace that empty database with my own data.  Evernote's server then runs a check on note dates,  but doesn't replace any where the 'last changed' dates are the same - a much quicker process than downloading the whole database when you have over 50,000 notes...

• Level 5*
4 hours ago, MartinH9QP said:

and need my LOCAL DB to be the master copy and overwrite the cloud data. (as Pink Elephant mentioned later in this post I see). In this instance you would need to reinstall a fresh copy of the EN software and then restore the DB.

You can't just "restore the DB"     
This only impacts the local copy; the cloud continues to be the master

To do a mass restore on the cloud requires a local export/import    
This creates a new set of notes, that will sync to the cloud   
The old set of notes will have to be deleted

6 hours ago, gazumped said:

Good luck with that...

I think there's some over thinking going on.  The Cloud/ Server version will always 'win' in any situation where the cloud time stamp is more recent than the local version.  Your local app will always ask: "is this note 'last changed' date earlier than the cloud version?"  If the answer is 'yes',  it gets replaced.

I keep a full local backup history of my notes because I can restore individual notes and notebooks in case of issues - the 'restore' in my (Legacy) case being an import to my database that will allow me to "update" a note/ notebook with missing or corrupted data.  I've maintained a backup for as long as I've had an account with Evernote,  because that's just good IT practice.  I've had to use it once or twice in 12 years - and that was just to install Evernote on a new machine and replace that empty database with my own data.  Evernote's server then runs a check on note dates,  but doesn't replace any where the 'last changed' dates are the same - a much quicker process than downloading the whole database when you have over 50,000 notes...

I understand what your saying and that ultimately the cloud version is master. You can import an older copy of the note/book to fix corruption etc, make changes which time stamps this with newer date and over writes the cloud version under SYNC.

Then for replacement (new machine) overwrite the blank local database with backup, SYNC then checks/compares local with cloud and brings up to date.

Thanks for the confirmation once again.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

A backup by export creates a copy of the notes in a notebook as an ENEX file.

It is not possible to restore the original notes from that export file. Instead you import the ENEX file into a new notebook. From there it will sync (all by itself) to the server, creating a copy of the Backup-restore on the server as well. This can eat your upload Budget pretty fast, just BTW.

Let us imagine this would happen without any changes done to the original notes in between. You then have 2 sets of the same notes, one in the original notebook, one in the import notebook. Both are on the server as well.

You could now decide you don’t trust the original notes. You would then delete them, and use the restored notes to replace them. But this is manual work. You can’t take the backup and tell it to replace the original notes when importing the backup.