Please give us back the former function: Open a pdf in an external editor und save it back immediately to Evernote.

In the new version this function has vanished. The only editor is the standard editor, in macOS that is Preview in my case. When I edit the pdf, it cannot saved back to Evernote, but a copy has to be created and saved on my hard disk. From there I can re-import the pdf, after I deleted the original note in Evernote. 

That is much more complicated as it used to be in the old version!

• Like 2
  • Level 5

There are already numerous threads about this - you can search and probably add a vote to one of them.

To make EN aware of your request, you can use either the feedback function or issue a support ticket. The forum is mainly user to user.

Absolutely agree.

I cannot make the move from Legacy to 10 without this. My primary use of Evernote is for tagging, storing, and retrieving scientific articles that I email to my Evernote inbox.

To read an article, I open the PDF attachment, read and highlight, then save the annotated PDF back to the parent note. Then I type my summary notes in the body of the note containing the attachment.

Why would I want to export the PDF for annotation, save the new version, import the new version, and manually delete the old version?    

It makes one wonder if Evernote developers actually use Evernote themselves, or even understand how their customers use Evernote.

Evernote's strength has always been its flexibility. Longtime users like me are being robbed of this flexibility.

The product seems to be dumbing down for simple/casual use and light use, something like Apple Notes.

My use has always been heavy daily use (the most used app on all my computers) and complex use (I have almost Everything in Evernote).

It feels like advanced users are being orphaned. Sad.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

You can still open the attached pdf and annotate it in EN. This was reduced in functionality (for example you can’t delete a page from the pdf any more), and it is inconvenient the zoom function is off when annotating. But you can still do it.

This thread is about using external programs for the job. Say you have an external pdf editor. In legacy you can open the pdf directly from EN in the external app, edit it there and then close it. It will sync the changes back to EN automatically. This is missing in v10.

Yikes. This is my primary use case for Evernote as well, annotating scientific articles and writing about them in the body of the note. I haven't moved over the Evernote 10 yet due to loss of features. I'm amazed that they would mess this up too. What a nightmare. 

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

exactly i have the same issue i use a surface and the surface pen. I open the pdf with pen in Evernote legacy it opens in draw board i make edits then save it and it appears in evenote with edits.I love that and the only reason i use evernote now its gone. Who do we contact at Evernote to bring this back. Ther annotation tools don't work with a surface pen at all. 

On 6/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, PinkElephant said:

You can still open the attached pdf and annotate it in EN. This was reduced in functionality (for example you can’t delete a page from the pdf any more), and it is inconvenient the zoom function is off when annotating. But you can still do it.

This thread is about using external programs for the job. Say you have an external pdf editor. In legacy you can open the pdf directly from EN in the external app, edit it there and then close it. It will sync the changes back to EN automatically. This is missing in v10.

I did the following test with Adobe Reader (windows EN) 

1. From within the note, open the pdf attachment in Adobe reader

2. Highlight some text

3. Save the document back in the proper location (I needed to look up the full file path: C:\Users\eric\AppData\Roaming\Evernote\18340767\external-edits\f0e2d021-5e1f-5499-4327-4b5f1864dc74\a7a257d4-3d22-4924-b194-624b055abd3c  .  If your app does remember the file location, a simple CTRL-S will suffice)

4. Close the document

I could see in the WEB EN that the highlighted text was saved on the servers.

So, the problem is that the close doesn't invoke the save automatically. The good news is that the underlying file is synced properly on the servers.

I would assume that this can't be to difficult to correct,  considering that this already works correctly for Word documents.

Edit:

@EN engineers: I noticed that all the externally edited files starting from march till now are kept in the external-edits folder. Is this intentionally or is this a disk leak ?

thank you for reply. i don't use the windows evernote i use the app function on my surface. Would you mind explaining the process for saving the document to proper location i have no idea how to do this as i am not a techie but willing to learn. 

6 hours ago, BDB said:

thank you for reply. i don't use the windows evernote i use the app function on my surface. Would you mind explaining the process for saving the document to proper location i have no idea how to do this as i am not a techie but willing to learn. 

I just retrieved it from the document info in AdobeReader. It is probably different for your specific app on the surface. I did my experiment to proof that if your app can safe the file to the original location, evernote will sync it properly (at least on a windows system).  It wasn't intended as a process to retrieve the file location manually which is much too cumbersome.