Tasks in Tables

atherts

Idea

58 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Hi Jack, just do not drop it.

Having tasks in tables, EN could in may cases work as a simple replacement for apps like Trello or Meistertask. They do more, for sure, but often you do not need this overhead to run a little, lean project KanBan-style.

• Like 1

I am a long-time subscriber (2008) and am really trying to like/use tasks. The inability to add tasks in tables and no subtasks is making this very challenging. I want to support the platform, but the obvious fact about tasks in general is that the current functionality is 10 years behind competitors. As a developer, I can tell you these requests (tasks in tables, subtasks) are not difficult and shouldn't take 3+ years to do. PLEASE accelerate these requests and give us a reason to stay with Evernote.

• Like 2

Yep - and vice versa: You cannot embed tables inside other types of text (bulleted lists, other tables a.s.o.).
Looks like this (new) kind of text blocks are allowed only on top level of any nesting rules.
But I'm sure (hope for us all) that there will come up nesting possibilities like in Notion 😉

Very excited about the new tasks feature, and already becoming to depend on it.

However I use a lot of tables to organize information from meetings, sessions etc. which give rise to tasks.

Unfortunately you cannot create a task within a table (alongside the notes/minutes that gave rise to it).

Would be great if tasks could be created within tables.

• Like 2

Just dropping in to say that the people really want tasks in tables. So essential for meeting notes and project planning, both of which rely heavily on tables and tasks. To not be able to use them together is a major bummer.

• Level 5*
29 minutes ago, MorganT said:

Just dropping in to say that the people really want tasks in tables.

This feature request has two user votes   
The vote button is at the top left corner of the discussion

I have an issue in iOS. when I try to create task inside table in iOS it simply does not respond. I have personal templates for weekly and monthly planner, if i could use tasks inside it then it would be much more effective in scheduling. 

Voted for it.

• Evernote Expert
4 hours ago, Mr Russ said:

Its been almost another 2 quarters and still no timeline for implementation?

Well @Jack Lynchhad said "quarters not months" which is more detail than is often available and is the closest you'll get to a timeline. I think it means not before the end of 2023 but that's me reading between the lines.

• Like 3

This is the only reason I don't use tasks.

Before tasks existed I created a 2-column note that stores all my to-dos - one column for work and one column for home. While I would love to switch to tasks , I can't without splitting my to-do into 2 notes or a very long note which I need to scroll.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, agsteele said:

WE know it will come in several quarters. If this is a key issue for you then you are wise to stick with your alternative way of handling tasks.

I hope EN is willing to change the basic frame. I know it's a complicated update. I knew some softwares which made their basic frame as flexible as possible in order to update the server with the least delay. It was still goofy on some parts but it was VERY fast to hotfix a problem. (If you submit it in the workhours. You will see a hotfix two hours later but this was a game i played a lot. Still the idea behind flexible basic frame is georgeus.) 

Still, task tables are something important but it does not destroy my workflow. I guess my way of handling tasks is making them with timers? such as if i finish a step on my workflow i go to the note, edit the next task and just see that one on my tasks window. It was much more clearer then normal ways. 

Still, just to be prodactive, i am curious of your workflow with EN. (I am new to it and want to learn much more!) and maybe, some people can get tips or tricks on this forum. 

• Level 5

EN has switched to a framework based app 2 years ago (actually they made the switch before, but the first clients released in September 2020).

I am pretty sure they will not again switch the underlying framework for the clients in the foreseeable next years.

Hello - Can we have an update on this feature request please?  The ability to have a task inside a table. One usecase for example would be for a table of research papers to read where selectively they can be calendarized as tasks.

Please advise when this roadmap item (per note on here 2 years ago) is expected to be deployed to users. If this is no longer on the roadmap then please advise accordingly and provide an alternate workaround.

Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
37 minutes ago, essnote said:

Please advise when this roadmap item (per note on here 2 years ago) is expected to be deployed to users. If this is no longer on the roadmap then please advise accordingly and provide an alternate workaround.

Evernote typically doesn't provide this type of information.  Maybe we will be surprised, but I wouldn't get your hopes up.

• Level 5

EN has never published a roadmap anybody could draw information from. If tasks in tables is on the table (sic) nobody outside of EN will know. And those inside hopefully focus on sorting out that syncing „issue“ that currently fills the forum.

I am a new user. This is a deal breaker for me. What is the point of having a table of notes and not having a task oriented way of following up.

I see the community has been asking for this feature for 2+ years and nothing.

Looks like my search for an alternative will need to begin.

Evernote has a great feel to it but this is a massive oversight!

Subscription cancelled.

Looking forward for this to be added.
I generally write in a table format for easier navigation, where I write the main idea \title on the left, and expanded notes on the right in one row. Next row is the next paragraph \ thought. I was able to add Calendar event into the table , and I like to add images into the column as well because in this way they will maintain the same size and stay to the right of text content. 
I wanted to add tasks as well, but for now I am using checkboxes instead because only they are supported in the table. I did not use tasks functionality before, but it seems like I won't use them unless I can put them in a table. I will work around this for now with checkboxes and emojis for priorities. The calendar is my deadline date, but it is pretty curmersone to create an event for each task, so I might stop this.
I have attached my generic table structure here. 
Would love to see this added! 

example_table_structure.png

• Like 2

The feature to allow tasks to be organised in Tables was reportedly "in developmenT2 back in 2021. It really would be a useful feature in Evernote with a simpl way to copy one or more tasks from a note or from the tasks list into a table (or elsewhere) on another note.

Hopefully Bending Spoons will consider this in 2023.

• Level 5

We never got a confirmation anything was under development. It was more this general phrase of „the devs will be looking into it“ we receive from support when they can’t tell, but won’t say NO either.

We can’t know today, but I have not ever seen it listed as on the backlog now or for the future.

19 minutes ago, sixxiron said:

I am a long-time subscriber (2008) and am really trying to like/use tasks. The inability to add tasks in tables and no subtasks is making this very challenging. I want to support the platform, but the obvious fact about tasks in general is that the current functionality is 10 years behind competitors. As a developer, I can tell you these requests (tasks in tables, subtasks) are not difficult and shouldn't take 3+ years to do. PLEASE accelerate these requests and give us a reason to stay with Evernote.

Evernote tasks - ability to add inline tasks in notes - is probably my main reason (maybe only reason) why i'm still here. But tasks could, for sure, use some further development! 

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, sixxiron said:

This comment is from 2021... Any idea when tasks in table cells will be available?

There have been a lot of changes since the sale to Bending Spoons.  It is hard to say what may be on the roadmap any more.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, janndk said:

Evernote tasks - ability to add inline tasks in notes - is probably my main reason (maybe only reason) why i'm still here. But tasks could, for sure, use some further development! 

I agree that there are things to like about having tasks available for notes and I still love Evernote for notes and saving content from the web. 

2 hours ago, s2sailor said:

There have been a lot of changes since the sale to Bending Spoons.  It is hard to say what may be on the roadmap any more.

I didn't really follow that when it happened, but now I'm experiencing the outcome of the sale...

• Level 5

It never WAS on any roadmap, at least as far as we know. So it was never taken down, since there was no need to.

From the developments seen in the past year, I doubt we will see anything like it in the foreseeable future. 

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

It never WAS on any roadmap, at least as far as we know. So it was never taken down, since there was no need to.

The original quote was from Jack Lynch, an Evernote employee.  If he said it was on the roadmap, it likely was, at least at that time.

The impression I am getting from the conversations here is this support forum is really just an echo chamber of users with no response/action taken from anyone related to EN... Thanks for the input all.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, sixxiron said:

Any idea when tasks in table cells will be available?

The whole backend system is being rewritten right now and as far as I know this includes the tasks back-end server stuff. No idea if tasks in tables will come but if it does it would be after the back-end stuff has finished. Check the latest EN blog for whats going on regarding modernisation.

9 hours ago, Jon/t said:

The whole backend system is being rewritten right now and as far as I know this includes the tasks back-end server stuff. No idea if tasks in tables will come but if it does it would be after the back-end stuff has finished. Check the latest EN blog for whats going on regarding modernisation.

Where is this blog??