Search Help Needed for New Evernote

Go to solution Solved by eric99,

I'm hoping the community can help me to better understand search in the new Evernote. 

Here's the scenario I'm struggling with. Can you let me know what you think is the most efficient path to perform the search to get the result I seek?

Goal: I want to filter within a specific notebook for notes that have a specific word in the note, or in the note title.

In my example, I want to find notes that have Grande in the note and are located in my Statements To Reconcile/Bills to Pay notebook.

I know I can (1) search for "Grande", then (2) filter by notebook. I get that this is an option that will get me the result. BUT, it also isn't how I work in Evernote nor am thinking about my search. 

I often search/want to search this way: 

I am already in the notebook I want to perform the find in (in the screenshot I've got "Statements To Reconcile/Bills to Pay" showing, for example). So, how do I filter by word (Grande) once I'm in that notebook? How do I filter by intitle: if I'm already in that notebook?

Can someone help educate me on how to work with search in this specific order to find what I'm seeking? I feel like I'm missing something.

2021-06-16_20-56-55.thumb.png.e561402f5edfbabf2f5a842bf761487c.png

• Level 5*

I use the raw search grammar as documented at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828     
I type the parameters into the search box; for example notebook:aaaaaa intitle:Grande

When online, searches are run on the server using the server search engine and server search index    
Your screenshot shows you're offline so the search is run on your device, using your device search engine and device search index

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, DTLow said:

I use the raw search grammar as documented at https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/208313828     
I type the parameters into the search box; for example notebook:aaaaaa intitle:Grande

When online, searches are run on the server using the server search engine and server search index    
Your screenshot shows you're offline so the search is run on your device, using your device search engine and device search index

To add to this good advice from @DTLow, make sure you put double quotes around your notebook name, since it contains spaces (I think you also have a leading '.' too?).

notebook:".Statements To Reconcile/Bills to Pay" intitle:Grande

David.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

From an organizational view, this would better be handled by tags than by moving stuff around between notebooks.

Notebook: Invoices

Tags: to_pay , to_collect, paid, collected

The documents stay in the same notebook, payment control is done by tagging. First the open tags are applied, later the executed-ones. If you want to use payment targets, you can set a reminder to the date when an invoice becomes due.

It reduces the number of notebooks and the necessity of overly complex notebook names.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

Notebook: Invoices

Tags: to_pay , to_collect, paid, collected

As to the search question,    
to generate the "To Pay" list, search arguments would be    
notebook:Invoices   tag:to-pay  -tag:paid  intitle:Grande

Actually, I would replace the notebook with a tag    
tag:Type-Invoices   tag:to-pay  -tag:paid  intitle:Grande

• Like 1

Thanks for the ideas all. You've confirmed my worry that what I really want isn't possible in v10. 

I followed your suggested, and even tested them out, and they work. But, this only confirmed for me that v10 is not nearly as efficient as Legacy.

What used to be a simple "click" to filter (when I was already working in the notebook – Evernote was smart enough to give me 1 click access to the notebook I was already in when I executed a search with that notebook suggested):

2021-06-18_14-12-57.thumb.png.e59258dfdbd8ffee261b61844e36004d.png

...now requires me to either:

1. Type in a whole string of grammar (as @DTLowuses). For me, this sucks because the notebook name is long and unruly, plus I have to reference it which is work I shouldn't have to do since I'm already in the notebook. Of course, I can consider changing the notebook name as a solution, but still, definitely not as efficient as what it was in v10.

2. Reconfigure my whole workflow to organize it with tags. I agree that tags are a good use for status oriented items like bill paying. But, it really isn't what I am trying to do here.

Basically, it appears the Legacy way of having the notebook selected as a filter is not an option unless you want to get into typing in advanced search parameters in v10. Nothing about this is more useful to me and it is proving to be very disruptive to how I have used Evernote for my workflows. 

If I have a notebook selected on the left, that IS a search filter (as it is for many who use notebooks as their organizational approach). I want to be able to simply refine the filter in that notebook. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation. Yet, it seems v10 makes me jump through hoops, clicks, or precise typing in the search field to make it happen.

I'm sad.

• Solution
4 hours ago, Stacey said:

Basically, it appears the Legacy way of having the notebook selected as a filter is not an option unless you want to get into typing in advanced search parameters in v10. Nothing about this is more useful to me and it is proving to be very disruptive to how I have used Evernote for my workflows. 

If I have a notebook selected on the left, that IS a search filter (as it is for many who use notebooks as their organizational approach). I want to be able to simply refine the filter in that notebook. I don't think that is an unreasonable expectation. Yet, it seems v10 makes me jump through hoops, clicks, or precise typing in the search field to make it happen.

I'm sad.

When you select a notebook on the left,  and then click the search button, you may click on the blue link to add the notebook to the filter, just as simple as that 🙂

In the screenshot below, I selected the Input notebook which I can now add as a filter with the blue link "voeg filter toe" (add filter")

image.png.1443941861e08198826ef8b427ae459b.png

29 minutes ago, eric99 said:

When you select a notebook on the left,  and then click the search button, you may click on the blue link to add the notebook to the filter, just as simple as that 🙂

Ok! Now we're getting somewhere. Thx @eric99.

2021-06-18_19-06-23.thumb.png.75360d9c31c4525495c469c7d9cbee34.png

But, I see that you marked my post as "solved". (I assume it was you...maybe not? Who can mark forum posts as solved?) For me, it is not there yet.

Here are the detail issues I have with this method:

First, search doesn't pull up the notebook:

2021-06-18_18-59-29.thumb.png.40eeba26321a48c265d40b16f5239396.png

I have to keep getting more and more specific with the search name to bring it up. I don't know how to "train" Evernote search to find what I'm looking for, but clearly, it thinks I'm seeking a note, not a notebook, even with the "." I put in front of the notebook name.

And then, 2, this method still ignores the fact that by clicking on the notebook in the navigation menu, I've already performed the first level of search that I want. This method (which, I'm guessing is the way search is designed to workin v10?) requires me to "re-search" for the notebook I want in the search box, then save it as a filter, then do another text string search to get the result I put in the first screenshot of this reply. Not ideal. 

3 minutes ago, Stacey said:

Ok! Now we're getting somewhere. Thx @eric99.

2021-06-18_19-06-23.thumb.png.75360d9c31c4525495c469c7d9cbee34.png

But, I see that you marked my post as "solved". For me, it is not there yet.

Here are the detail issues I have with this method:

First, search doesn't pull up the notebook:

2021-06-18_18-59-29.thumb.png.40eeba26321a48c265d40b16f5239396.png

I have to keep getting more and more specific with the search name to bring it up. I don't know how to "train" Evernote search to find what I'm looking for, but clearly, it thinks I'm seeking a note, not a notebook, even with the "." I put in front of the notebook name.

And then, 2, this method still ignores the fact that by clicking on the notebook in the navigation menu, I've already performed the first level of search that I want. This method (which, I'm guessing is the way search is designed to workin v10?) requires me to "re-search" for the notebook I want in the search box, then save it as a filter, then do another text string search to get the result I put in the first screenshot of this reply. Not ideal. 

It was not me who marked this as solved.

I don't understand what you mean by "search doesn't pull up the notebook" : I do see your notebook "In Box personal" and the blue text "Add filter" . Just click on "Add Filter" and "In Box personal" will be added as a filter. You don't have to type in the notebook name, it is filled in automatically when you click the search button.

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

I don't understand what you mean by "search doesn't pull up the notebook" : I do see your notebook "In Box personal" and the blue text "Add filter" . Just click on "Add Filter" and "In Box personal" will be added as a filter. You don't have to type in the notebook name, it is filled in automatically when you click the search button.

I'm wanting the notebook ".Statements to Reconcile/Bills to Pay" to be the filter (not .In Box). My screenshot is showing how that notebook didn't come up when I did a search for ".statements". 

I had to get more specific to bring up the notebook so that I could add it as a filter as shown in the 2nd screenshot. 

Still sad, since it appears that Evernote marked this ticket as "solved", which tells me they think what you provided is the solution. And, although you've shown me how to move closer to what I'm seeking (thank you), it falls short of what I experience in terms of efficiency in the Legacy desktop version.

8 minutes ago, Stacey said:

I'm wanting the notebook ".Statements to Reconcile/Bills to Pay" to be the filter (not .In Box). My screenshot is showing how that notebook didn't come up when I did a search for ".statements". 

I had to get more specific to bring up the notebook so that I could add it as a filter as shown in the 2nd screenshot. 

Still sad, since it appears that Evernote marked this ticket as "solved", which tells me they think what you provided is the solution. And, although you've shown me how to move closer to what I'm seeking (thank you), it falls short of what I experience in terms of efficiency in the Legacy desktop version.

I created a notebook ".Statements to Reconcile/Bills to Pay", selected this notebook in the left toolbar. added some notes, then clicked the search button and I do see the ".Statements to Reconcile/Bills to Pay" and the blue text "Add filter". When I click Add filter, this notebook is added. I can now add a search string in the text field...

Everything works as expected. How did you select the notebook before clicking the search button: in the left toolbar or the filters in the top?

1 minute ago, eric99 said:

How did you select the notebook before clicking the search button: in the left toolbar or the filters in the top?

I navigate to notebooks all the time, either via the left toolbar, or via the Quick Switcher. Once I'm there, I want to further refine my search with a text string. 

I think the notebook didn't come up in my search because I also have a lot of notes that have the word "Statement" in it (my guess is that it worked for you because you don't). I had to make the search string longer to get it to bring up the notebook so that I could do as you suggested.

It officially works, but not intuitively (I'm scratching my head why I don't see the notebook when I type ".statements" in the search bar, nor more efficiently than the old way (again, I have to do the search twice...where in Legacy, the fact that the notebook is selected (either by me clicking on it in the left side bar, or getting to it via Quick Switcher) gives me the option to just tap the button to filter the search when I start typing text in the search filed (as shown in my legacy screenshot).

2 minutes ago, Stacey said:

I navigate to notebooks all the time, either via the left toolbar, or via the Quick Switcher. Once I'm there, I want to further refine my search with a text string. 

I think the notebook didn't come up in my search because I also have a lot of notes that have the word "Statement" in it (my guess is that it worked for you because you don't). I had to make the search string longer to get it to bring up the notebook so that I could do as you suggested.

It officially works, but not intuitively (I'm scratching my head why I don't see the notebook when I type ".statements" in the search bar, nor more efficiently than the old way (again, I have to do the search twice...where in Legacy, the fact that the notebook is selected (either by me clicking on it in the left side bar, or getting to it via Quick Switcher) gives me the option to just tap the button to filter the search when I start typing text in the search filed (as shown in my legacy screenshot).

I think there is a problem with the Quick Switcher for this feature. Can you please try the left toolbar?

Agreed, it is counter intuitive! A Selected  notebook (or tags) in the left toolbar should be considered as a first filter for the search.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, Stacey said:

So the problem with this being marked as "solved" is that nobody can upvote the thread as an issue. Can the status of solved be changed/removed?

Removing the tag doesn't seem to be one of my (very limited) super-powers - I flagged the thread for an Admin to review..  🙂

• Thanks 1