Please stop the constant updates!

Go to solution Solved by JohnF2,

I have never been more frustrated with the constant barrage of updates then I am with Evernote (Windows).

Every day I open it and there is an update - I used to ignore it until it was convenient, but now I cant even do that as it wont display the page until it installs the update. It's even worse on my work machine, it's driving my IT department crazy as I dont have rights to install on that PC.

This is nuts - devs - can you not put in a reasonable release schedule, once a month perhaps?

This is enough for me to move to another platform, I'm a member for 9 years.

• Like 2
  • Level 5*

Hi.  Did the Legacy version meet your general needs?  If so,  just uninstall v10 (or just don't use it).  Legacy does not and will not get updates.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Level 5

The current schedule probably is about 1 per month, maybe a bit faster. Since many of us still wait for features, I don’t like the idea that code ready to ship would be withheld just for the peace of mind of some users.

• Thanks 1

You are right. When open EN, mostly is the time of need to get or write something. Most of them are immediately need. EN should let user do what is needed to do first before update. Should have a choose. 

18 hours ago, JohnF2 said:

I have never been more frustrated with the constant barrage of updates then I am with Evernote (Windows).

Every day I open it and there is an update - I used to ignore it until it was convenient, but now I cant even do that as it wont display the page until it installs the update. It's even worse on my work machine, it's driving my IT department crazy as I dont have rights to install on that PC.

This is nuts - devs - can you not put in a reasonable release schedule, once a month perhaps?

This is enough for me to move to another platform, I'm a member for 9 years.

I disgree, I like the updates, the more the better, as long as it is an improvement (like it always is in EN10)

• Like 2
On 6/16/2021 at 10:14 PM, gazumped said:

Hi.  Did the Legacy version meet your general needs?  If so,  just uninstall v10 (or just don't use it).  Legacy does not and will not get updates.

I don't understand what you mean by 'Legacy' version. Do you mean the installed application, rather than the web based one? 

This is the reason I use Evernote, for offline access to my notes.

On 6/16/2021 at 11:23 PM, PinkElephant said:

The current schedule probably is about 1 per month, maybe a bit faster. Since many of us still wait for features, I don’t like the idea that code ready to ship would be withheld just for the peace of mind of some users.

This is interesting. I am getting an update notification every day. This is the reason for my initial post. I wouldn't complain about a monthly schedule, that's perfectly reasonable.

To clarify, every day I start my PC and Evernote and it says there is an install waiting. I install it, the application restarts, says installation successful.

Next day it does it again.

Seems its constantly stuck on v 10.15.6.

When it says it has an update, and it updates, its still on the same version number. I will uninstall completely and try a new installation and see what happens over the next few days.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
32 minutes ago, JohnF2 said:

Seems its constantly stuck on v 10.15.6.

When it says it has an update, and it updates, its still on the same version number. I will uninstall completely and try a new installation and see what happens over the next few days.

Two things:

1. The most recent,  monthly updated version that @PinkElephant is referring to is v10.  Which does allow you to see and edit notes when not connected to the internet,  but does sync all changes back to the server whenever it is connected,  so that the web version and your local installed version will always show the same notes.  The 'no updates' option I was referring to was the 'Legacy' (older) version 6.25 which can be installed alongside v10,  and can be used to edit and update notes if you need a feature which is no longer supported.  https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314-Install-an-older-version-of-Evernote
  2. When you get an 'updating' message each time you load Evernote,  it can mean that the usual internal shortcut to start the application is actually pointing to the installer,  rather than the application EXE file.  Creating a new shortcut and deleting the old one would resolve that - an uninstall / reinstall is also an option.

Same problem on my Mac OS 11.3.1 using EN 10.13.4!! I HATE HATE HATE THIS DAILY UPDATE!!!!! And I can't use my notes, which I need in a hurry, until the update is done and relaunch of the app.

STOP THE D@MNED UPDATES!!!!! FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NOTHING IS CHANGED IN ANY BIG AWAY ANYWAY!

No other application I have does this. And it's tempting me, after being a user since 2015, to jump ship! It's so infuriating and frustrating!

• Level 5*
On 6/25/2021 at 4:07 AM, siliconaudiolab said:

I HATE HATE HATE THIS DAILY UPDATE

And you seem to have a problem with caps lock too...

1. There is no such thing as a daily update
  2. If you're seeing an 'updating' message every day,  the installer is being repeatedly (and wrongly) triggered instead of the program link.
  3. This is fixable by either creating a new link or reinstalling the software
  4. ...and being a user since 2015 you might want to chip in with a subscription so you can get access to email help for when things like this happen.
  • Level 5

Hmmm - the reminder shows up when you open the app, and there is an update. There is no need to install it in this very moment. Just click it closed, and continue. Probably it shows up again when the app is started fresh, and the update is still not done.

This is similar in several apps, starting with MacOS and the AppStore. When I have open AppStore updates, I get a new notification from time to time until I install them.

Other apps show notifications as well - not all do, but this is IMHO no good service.

Maybe it is something else: We were so used from legacy that there were never updates, that we can’t believe we are already at 10.16, only 9 month after the launch of the new version.

• Solution
Posted (edited)

Just to update this thread ...

I uninstalled Evernote completely from the machine and re-installed it. 

This has fixed the issue and I am now on the latest version and I'm not getting notifications about this 'daily' update. I am Windows 10.

I don't know how the OSX installer works but @siliconaudiolab you might try the same.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by JohnF2
spelling
  • Like 1
  • Level 5

The OSX installer works very simple: On opening the EN download page, a dmg image file is downloading automatically to the download folder - at least it does on my Mac. From there it can be installed.

When one did a complete uninstall before, after installation the security and privacy settings must be renewed.

• 2 weeks later...

The worst part - the part that makes it absolutely maddening - is when you are working in another app and the "Update Evernote!" appears OVER THE TOP of your working app. THAT needs to stop. You can do 20 updates a day so long as I don't see I need to take action UNTIL I am in Evernote. But if I've got Evernote open in the background, I don't need intrusive Ad like interruptions to my workflow. That's the opposite of why I use Evernote. It's crazy - I have never seen this in my life on any application.

There is no option in preferences to stop or alter this. For users who like to be interrupted, they are fine with this. For those of us who need to focus, this is a badly needed and very simple switch to add in preferences: "Turn off update alerts." or something along those lines. THAT would be an update I'd install. LOL! ;)

For now, I've had to not run Evernote in the background until I need it, which sucks cuz now I have to wait for it to load before I can add/chk notes.

• Like 1