Can't open new evernote window on OSX desktop app

Go to solution Solved by aleksg,

How can I open more than one evernote window? (And I'm not talking about single-note windows, I mean full app windows with the sidebars.)

I work in multiple OSX desktop spaces and require an Evernote window in each space. After upgrading to version 10.15.6-mac this seems impossible. I used to be able to open a new window from the app's file menu but that option is no longer present. I can't find this option anywhere.

• Level 5

You can have only one main window open, and then open single notes in additional windows.

Tabs are on the requests list, no idea when we will see a release.

An option might be to open the EN web client in a browser on a second and further virtual desktops.

To avoid note conflicts and duplication, never work on the same note from several sessions.

• Like 1

I submitted a support ticket. They confirmed that multiple windows is no longer possible after the recent update. But there's an official legacy desktop app that still includes multiple window functionality. It's available here: https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/360052560314

But unfortunately the legacy version produces sync errors whenever I attach images

I've tried dragging and dropping the images. I've also tried adding them with the "Attach Files..." menu option. 

Not sure what you mean by "duplicates". The problem is that all the text in the notes syncs but only the images don't sync to other devices.

• Level 5

Maybe another Mac user can kick in here, because as I said I am iPad only for another week.

Had no problems on legacy with anything like this in the past. You could check with support, though they may just tell you „fine with v10, we don’t touch Legacy any more“.

• 1 year later...
  • Level 5

Select any note. from the note menu „open in new window“. There is a keyboard shortcut as well (would have to look it up), and an option when you right click on a note. You can have several notes open at once.

Get a decent window manager for the Mac, like Magnet, that helps you arrange the windows.

Before you ask: No, no tabs any more.

12 minutes ago, loynis.armitage said:

Why would they remove the feature of having multiple Evernote windows open simultaneously?!

I think all we can do as users is guess as to why they would do that. My guess is for performance reasons... it'd probably make it slower and perhaps there were complications with syncing data between the two local instances. Just a guess. Also technically, it's more that they just didn't add that feature into the new v10 rewrite vs removing it from the existing product as the existing Legacy product is still around with multiple tabs and instances. (Here is a long shot guess -- what if Legacy is sticking around until we see multiple instances and tabs? Probably not.)

You can kind of workaround it by using multiple windows (I do this a ton) and also opening the app in a browser (no keyboard shortcuts and a few other missing things in the web version) -- you can have as many tabs of Evernote as you want open in a browser. So sometimes I run it in both a browser and the Desktop version.

I'd like to be able to have multiple instances and/or tabs too again. That'd be cool.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Multiple tabs only existed in legacy for Mac - Windows users are not aware they miss something because it never was part of their experience.

Since EN decided to unify the clients, some specific features of single legacy clients got axed. Mac users got Import folders instead - this feature only existed in Windows legacy, not on the Mac.

The tabs can be substituted by opening notes in their own window, as described in my post. No need for drama …

• Solution
On 8/26/2022 at 10:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

The tabs can be substituted by opening notes in their own window, as described in my post. No need for drama …

Idk why you keep posting this information that doesn't address the problem in question.

Opening individual notes in their own windows isn't the same thing as having multiple EN application windows, and it doesn't serve the same use cases. For example I have multiple desktop spaces for different projects and I need a full en window on each of them. As I mentioned above in this thread, you can do this by running the en legacy app, it preserves the old functionality. The Legacy sync issue mentioned earlier has been resolved, so it's a viable solution

• Like 2
  • Level 5

You can run as well the web client in a browser. You can install another browser, and run the web client again. In some browsers there can be several tabs open. Plus a legacy client here and there. How much screen real estate you have, you said ? I am sure you can have EN windows all over.

Play around a little, and I am sure an intelligent person will find solutions.

Just don’t come back and claim syncing and duplication problems. We’ve told you so …

• 4 weeks later...

Long time mac web user and a little tired of the issues there.  Trying the mac client again and boggled that it doesn't support multiple windows gracefully or fully.  From the three dots, you can `open (this note) in new window` but there's no keyboard shortcut.  This child window is strange and if you click on a link to another note, it will navigate the note window in the parent instead of the child.  It's all really strange.

I still prefer Evernote but single window behavior like this is really dated.