I just recently subscribed to a separate task app: Evernote is far behind in that arena

estevancarlos

Idea

I did some research. I really needed a useful task application. The task management in Evernote just doesn't do it. I've been using Todoist for about two months now. I'm very satisfied with it.

I initially wanted to only use Evernote. It would be more cost effective. Now that Evernote is taking tasks more seriously I am very curious to see where this goes and here are my thoughts:

• These current Task features are just a UI/UX overhaul. Instead of having to locate a note where you previously had a list of tasks, you now can quickly view notes and their tasks in a sidebar.
  • This doesn't compete with the other options out there. Based on these updates, I have NO reason to use Tasks in Evernote. It's not good enough.

I think Evernote should consider whether they want modest task features or whether they want to compete with others. IF Evernote decides they want to compete in this arena then I also want to suggest that they don't try to fully integrate these two experiences. I believe this will become a UX problem.

Consider creating an experience where a person can create notes very separately from creating tasks. Then create a way in which a Task can be associated (related) to a specific Note. For example in Todoist, I create tasks categories by subjects. Then I leave comments on tasks that are associated with files and external notes. If I had the ability to directly connect a note to a task, I would. However that's not an option.

16 replies to this idea

This thread is absurd.  Tasks is just out and people are responding to it as if it should match todoist.  A UI overhaul? Come on.  

Tasks will suit some, it wont others, as is the case with most features but to complain that it isnt as good as sole apps that have been running for years is completely unreasonable.

• Like 6
  • Level 5

One has to balance the personal needs. Specialized task managers have probably more powerful features. But you have to handle 2 different tools.

Say you clip a longer article to EN, to read it when you have some time to spare. In GTD terms this is the category „anytime“.

- A fix reminder date is no good for this.

- A tag in EN may do, but now you create todos in EN and in your task manager 

- If you enter it into the task manager, you need 2 apps to handle a simple issue

If the newly found task manager serves you well, be happy about your discovery. I think EN tasks will help many users to better organize their life. Some will probably even decide to give up on a second task manager.

People are different, use cases are different. Up to now I rely on Things 3 for my task management. I am testing as many fellow users what EN tasks can really do, and what will be added in the future.

• Level 5*
3 hours ago, estevancarlos said:

I really needed a useful task application. The task management in Evernote just doesn't do it

I don't need a dedicated task application   
I'm able to manage my task management using Evernote's generic organization features   

The new task features in Evernote are interesting   
However more development is required before I'll consider switching

23 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

One has to balance the personal needs. Specialized task managers have probably more powerful features. But you have to handle 2 different tools.

Say you clip a longer article to EN, to read it when you have some time to spare. In GTD terms this is the category „anytime“.

- A fix reminder date is no good for this.

- A tag in EN may do, but now you create todos in EN and in your task manager 

- If you enter it into the task manager, you need 2 apps to handle a simple issue

If the newly found task manager serves you well, be happy about your discovery. I think EN tasks will help many users to better organize their life. Some will probably even decide to give up on a second task manager.

People are different, use cases are different. Up to now I rely on Things 3 for my task management. I am testing as many fellow users what EN tasks can really do, and what will be added in the future.

I imagine Evernote's task manager will be helpful to some but I'm not convinced it's going to appeal to a lot of people looking for task management. Side note: I just looked up Things and it appears pretty identical to Todoist.

3 minutes ago, DTLow said:

I'm able to manage my task management using Evernote's generic organization features   

The new task features in Evernote are interesting   
However more development is required before I'll consider switching

I agree 99% here. I do not need a dedicated task manager like TickTick or Todoist. I can manage almost all of my tasks in the new EN feature. The only thing I cannot do at this point is the quick hit reminders and repeating tasks - for those I will stay with iOS reminders. I have already moved all of my work based tasks and projects to EN making my life much simpler with a single app for work.

I think folks that are comparing the new tasks to the current crop of dedicated task managers are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The core of Evernote is the NOTE - everything is tied to a note. 

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Yeah. It's for this reason I wonder if Evernote's consumers really need this new "task" feature at all. Previously we could make a checklist. This current update seems so modest that I don't see it really pulling the Task management crowd. In my opinion Evernote's Tasks feature is either doing too little that it doesn't matter OR it's not doing enough to draw in more users.

2 minutes ago, buckethead said:

I think folks that are comparing the new tasks to the current crop of dedicated task managers are trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. The core of Evernote is the NOTE - everything is tied to a note. 

That's why the Task feature just seems flat. Why add it if it's barely doing much? Maybe the numbers will show that many consumers want a modest task feature but do they? I still use Evernote for notes and organization like you use it. I don't know if many of us need them to implement a very minimal task feature.

• Level 5

If you think it is modest, I think you should think it over again.

Tasks + Task home widget is for many users probably enough to manage their day to day, and more. When tasks in tables is added, it can even replace a simple KANBAN board for project management. Recurring reminders is another feature requested a lot. 

Within a few more releases EN Tasks will IMHO do 80% of what task managers do, and for many users this will get the job done already.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

If you think it is modest, I think you should think it over again.

Tasks + Task home widget is for many users probably enough to manage their day to day, and more. When tasks in tables is added, it can even replace a simple KANBAN board for project management. Recurring reminders is another feature requested a lot. 

Within a few more releases EN Tasks will IMHO do 80% of what task managers do, and for many users this will get the job done already.

I don't see where Evernote describes those features. On the page about the Tasks overview they don't mention tables or a board. The emulation of KANBAN would be very useful but I don't see any remarks about this being a possible feature. I already use a Task management tool because it has these features. I don't know where Evernote is proposing this.

• Level 5

Watch this and you see the emphasis EN top management puts behind it:

The rest is wild guesses by me, no more inside knowledge. But since EN staff is very present on the forum, and the release cycle is   running hot, I would be surprised if I would be completely off with what I expect to see.

Again: I don’t think they are out to replace any task manager in the field. There is no need to it - added value for the existing EN users, and some good arguments for some more to upgrade their plan from Basic is enough to make it a successful move.

And from testing I already like what we get !

• Like 1
  • Level 5*

@estevancarlos also keep in mind, this is an early access first release.  As such, I think it is a pretty good initial effort and I expect there will be many updates to come.

For years I have bounced between Evernote and Todoist for task management.  For work use I will likely stay with Todoist due to its Outlook integration.  For home use, tasks is already good enough for me to start migrating over.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, s2sailor said:

@estevancarlos also keep in mind, this is an early access first release.  As such, I think it is a pretty good initial effort and I expect there will be many updates to come.

For years I have bounced between Evernote and Todoist for task management.  For work use I will likely stay with Todoist due to its Outlook integration.  For home use, tasks is already good enough for me to start migrating over.

Yeah, I guess that video strongly implies there's more to come. I definitely understand that it's a difficult undertaking. I wasn't originally sure if the scope of this feature was limited or expansive however.

If any Evernote employees read this though: If the Task feature becomes expansive I hope you strongly consider a completely separate application that communicates with Evernote. I can only imagine combining Evernote with a robust Task tool is a major UX undertaking. 

The current Task feature is not good enough to be used for task management.  In fact, if you follow TSW method, you can use tags to create a GTD task management.  The only problem I have is the new v10 UI is making switching from different shortcuts more difficult/steps in the good old Evernote.

• Like 1
  • Recurring tasks should be a no brainer for any tasks app
  • The power of Evernote is tags but tasks don't benefit from this power if you can't add tags to individual tasks. For example, without this ability implementing GTD is really clumsy as you ideally need a task to exist in both a project and, say, an action list.