[Fixed in Version 10.16] "Note/Task/Attachment/Sketch" box blocks app navigation (Mac/Win)

Gregory Miller

Idea

43 replies to this idea

I am having the same problem. 

Here's a screen shot of what mine is blocking (it blocks regardless of full-screen or not). I cannot use the search, access anything behind the box.

I want to like it but really, I also want to be able to use Evernote. Hope someone can answer. Thanks.

Evernote for Mac release 10.15.6

Screen Shot 2021-06-07 at 7.56.01 AM.png

• Level 5

AFAIK you are right in the tutorial that started itself when you opened the new version. It wants to show  you the essentials of the new function.

Check around, the tutorial master is somewhere on your screen. Click through it or dismiss it. When you completed it, it will not come back.

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

Maybe you have not yet finished the tasks tutorial. Check if you have a blue box somewhere awaiting some clicks.

Else uninstall, reinstall, and see if it goes away.

There are other similar threads, AFAIK yet not resolved.

• Ex Employees

@Gregory Miller @DStevens I'm trying to get to the bottom of this issue. 

Can you please answer a few questions for me?

1. What platform you are using? 
  2. Was your navigation bar collapsed to just show icons? That's the only way I have been able to reproduce this so far.
  3. Did this happen right after you had the Tasks on-boarding experience?
  4. If you restart your app, does the problem go away? 

@Scott T.

I use MacOS Big Sur 11.4 with Evernote 10.15.6. 
I rebooted several times for other reasons. I had the navigation both expanded and collapsed and the box just kept sticking around. Mine only left when I retook the tour for the new tasks feature. 

• Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees

Thank you @DStevens. I appreciate you taking the time to provide feedback. We're actively investigating the issue and looking into how we can best solve it for our users, both in the short-term and long-term. Currently, users can generally get around the problem by either quitting and restarting the app, or signing out and in. Worst case scenario, a reinstall seems to solve the problem, but that should hopefully not be necessary.

@Scott T.

1. Windows
  2. Was your navigation bar collapsed to just show icons? Yes
  3. Did this happen right after you had the Tasks on-boarding experience? Yes
  4. If you restart your app, does the problem go away? No

I did finally get the problem fixed. I signed out of my account, chose Remove my data from this device, and then signed back in. That seemed to fix the problem. Thanks!

SORRY I AM USUALLY NOT A SCREAMER (ALL CAPS) BUT THIS NEW "TASKS" UPDATE HAS ME REALLY PI**** OFF!  THERE IS THIS LITTLE POP-UP WINDOW FOR THE NOTES AND TASKS THAT IS BLOCKING THE THE SIDE BAR AND NOTE LIST NEXT TO IT AND I CAN FIND NO WAY TO MOVE IT OR TURN IT OFF!

I DIDN'T ASK FOR THIS UPDATE AND SO FAR HATE IT.  THE AGREEMENT YOU HAVE TO SIGN IS VERY OVERBEARING.  Maybe I will come to like this feature but for now it is a nuisance.

HOW DO I MOVE OR CLOSE THIS LITTLE WINDOW?  I have attached a screen shot of it.

EVERNOTE.JPG

I am having same problem.  I didn't ask for this update and felt insulted by the overbearing agreement we had to sign.  Maybe I will find a use for this new feature, but for now, it is just a nuisance.

EVERNOTE.JPG

Ok, I got rid of it by signing out of Evernote and checking the box to remove data from this computer.  Then rebooted the computer, got a big Win 10 update, signed in again to Evernote, but this time, when the tutorial window introducing the Evernote "Tasks" update appeared, I clicked, "Maybe Later".

• Like 1
  • Level 5

If you search the forum you might have found this solution:

Uncheck the keep my data on logout in settings . Log out.

Quit  the App (not only close it, use the menu to really quit)

If you want to go 150%, restart the computer 

Open EN again, maybe it will pull an update, log in and you should be good to go

Yes, it was lhodges26 in the "Get Early Access to Tasks" part of the forum who suggested singing out and back in, but, he did not include the computer reboot and clicking thru the Tasks Tutorial popup.

Thanks!  I had this problem today too.  Signing out of Evernote, checking box to remove data from this computer, then signing back in -- did the trick!  I didn't have to reboot the PC.

• Level 5

@dustov

Thanks for reaching out, and for letting us know.

Our development team is aware of this issue and working on a fix. This issue happens when the left navigation menu is minimized and clicking on the green **+** button menu results in a pop-up that cannot be closed. While absolutely not ideal, here is a workaround that resolves most cases:

1. Go to **File > Sign Out [name]** from the menu bar.
2. Select the "Remove my Evernote data from this device" option, then click **Sign out**.
3. Restart your computer.
4. Sign back in to Evernote.

Please let me know if you're still having trouble after following the steps above.

since I updated to early access ... left side bar as below hide my favorite shortcut(notebooks)  link .... and I can't remove the  note and task bar... 

is there anyway I can remove or move to other side?  so I can see my 

image.png.e88b54d9cd71618ad757323b28c3dddd.png

Hi, exactly the same is happening at my Evernote, after I installed the new Task feature this morning. I restarted Evernote, but it is still there. I can't access the buttons behind the big notes and tasks square.

image.png.3f7dd2598764880d266f048f219948dd.png

• Level 5

A little forum search (even just going up in this thread) would reveal:

• Deselect in settings the option to keep your data on logout
  • Log out of your account
  • Quit the app (not only close, quit through the menu)
  • To be sure, restart your computer (some posts say it was necessary, other just quitted the app)
  • Start the app. Maybe there will be some updating activity, let it run

The popup window now should be gone, not to return.

• Like 1
On 6/10/2021 at 5:47 PM, peterfranklin56 said:

Had the same problem yesterday - starting the demo again seemed to solve it.

I'm having the same problem with Evernote. How do you start the demo again? I don't seem to have an option to do so.

Ugh! Yes, it's maddening. I'm clicking around trying to figure out how to complete/close this 'tutorial' popup window.

Thanks for the tip but when I try to sign out, the window is blocking the sign-out window.

I'm sure I'll get rid of it in a minute but it's pretty annoying.

BTW, my system is Windows 10.

BlockedSignOut.jpg

Ok, was able to sign out from the menu. 😛

Hi,

I'm back up and running.

Quick question: Does this mean we should avoid clicking the blue 'Early Access' button until this issue is resolved? Will we be notified when this happens?

Curious to try but gun-shy about clicking on that now.

Thanks in advance for any info.

• Level 5

This is a bug.

To solve it, here what seems to work in most cases.

1. log out of EN in the client 
  2. Then quit the app through the menu (not just closing with the X)
  3. Restart the app
  4. Log into your account

The Side bar should now be back to normal.