Help: Emailed SVG and PNG handwritten notes pages are out of order!

When I email my handwritten notes to my Evernote email address, as SVG or PNG files, the note pages are out of order!

I am sending as SVG or PNG, because I need these notes indexed, allowing me to search them.   

No, I send one file in one email.   The pages are in order in that file.   If I email the file to my gmail address, the pages are in order.   When I email the file to evernote, the pages are out of order in evernote.    

• Level 5

OK, then it is probably simply the usual transmission delay. Messages send through the internet take different routes, hopping from server to server. The sequence in which they are send (especially when send as a group of mails) tell nothing about how they will arrive.

If you need to sort them, make sure the mail title starts with an index (like the page number) you can sort.

Remember sorting is by character, this means that after 1 there is not 2, but 100, 101, … 11, 110, 111, … 12 and so on (with 3 digits). To be able to sort, start with 001, 002, 003, … etc.

• Like 1

Coming from the technology world and  living in the IP industry since inception, I do not understand how this can technically happen.    And, if this is technically feasible, why doesn’t it happen when I send to someone else’s email?   Either way it is transiting the internet.   Could you imagine if this is what happened to legal documents, medical imaging, etc.   I am not claiming to be an IP expert, but I have never heard of this happening.    Please explain or escalate.   Thanks.  Jeff

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

???

Short answer:

Mail is send by a mail server A, and it is received by a mail server Z. But it does not move in one piece from A to Z, it is relayed through a series of servers in between. These server can differ from mail to mail send.

Mail 1 can take a longer route (more servers) than mail 2. It just takes a server with more workload on one path, and 2 is received earlier than 1.

Sending independent mails, there is no guarantee at all they will arrive in the same sequence they have been send. 

To go back to the initial question: If sequence is relevant, create an index (file name of pictures, email title) that allows to sort the content in EN.

We are not talking about 2 emails.   I am sending 1 email, containing 1 file made up of 76 pages in order, page 1 thru 76.    It always, 100% of the time arrives in order when I send it to an email address.  

Not trying to be difficult, but your answer does not hold water.  Why is it out of order when sending to Evernote?     Is it due to how Evernote receives png or svg files.   If I send it as a PDF, it will remain in order when Evernote receives it.  

Thanks.  

• Level 5

If I understood correct what you do, and to make the smallest change to this procedure, it would be this:

- Create an email from the first page file. If you have in between 10 and 99 pages, a 2-digit number should do.

- Title the first email 01whatsoever. You can simply place „01“ in front of the existing title. 

- The next page goes into 02whatsoever, and so on. Then 10, 11, 12 etc. Below 10 the leading 0 is important for sorting.

When you send them, no matter in which sequence they arrive, they will receive the mail title as note title. You can now sort them by the note title.

As I said, smallest impact.

In reality I would not do it like this. I would use a tool like Irfanview (on Windows), that allows to rename files with a name and a number.

I would then rename the pictures with a file name that contains the page number, save them all into one or only a few emails and send them.

Or better create the notes directly, without that email fuzz in between.

All this can be done without any advanced software, Irfanview is free.

The ultimate solution would be to pack the pictures into a pdf, OCR it first and then send the OCRed pdf into EN. Possible, but AFAIK not for free.

• Level 5

Plus after reading your posts again: There is no sequence for attachments to emails. If you add multiple attachments, one mail client may put them by file name, another by size, another by date, another by file type, whatever.

You have just proven this to yourself, before you started this thread. At least you started it when your „sequence“ was mixed up, because it was no sequence in first place.

On 6/14/2021 at 6:03 AM, PinkElephant said:

If I understood correct what you do, and to make the smallest change to this procedure, it would be this:

- Create an email from the first page file. If you have in between 10 and 99 pages, a 2-digit number should do.

- Title the first email 01whatsoever. You can simply place „01“ in front of the existing title. 

- The next page goes into 02whatsoever, and so on. Then 10, 11, 12 etc. Below 10 the leading 0 is important for sorting.

When you send them, no matter in which sequence they arrive, they will receive the mail title as note title. You can now sort them by the note title.

As I said, smallest impact.

In reality I would not do it like this. I would use a tool like Irfanview (on Windows), that allows to rename files with a name and a number.

I would then rename the pictures with a file name that contains the page number, save them all into one or only a few emails and send them.

Or better create the notes directly, without that email fuzz in between.

All this can be done without any advanced software, Irfanview is free.

The ultimate solution would be to pack the pictures into a pdf, OCR it first and then send the OCRed pdf into EN. Possible, but AFAIK not for free.

I've been reading every thread in the forums ever posted on scanning (from a scanner...not from the Scannable app) and all of the help topics provided by EN and after hours and hours of reading I have only understood that if a person wants their handwritten notes to be indexed and searchable they must be in either jpg or png format. Your suggestion above says to pack the *pictures* into a pdf, then ocr it, and then send that into EN. The OP isn't emailing pictures in their file. They are emailing scanned copies of handwritten notes. Are you certain that your suggestion to create the pdfs for handwritten notes will work? I tried that and couldn't get it to work.

I understand the OP's pain, for sure. I take handwritten notes for school and try to scan them into EN but since they must be jpg or png they show up as several single pages. I've tried merging them into one note only to have them not show up in order. What is the best solution to get handwritten, multiple page notes to easily and quickly into EN? 

OP, are you saying you scan your 76 pages of handwritten notes into your scanners app and then you merge them there as one file and then attach that one file to an email? And, then after you email it from the scanning app you email it to your personal Gmail and you EN email address and the pages previously merged are suddenly in random order?

And, best of luck on this. I've been in tears and ended up withdrawing from school for now since I can't find any solution for scanning handwritten notes to EN without it taking up so much time because of having to spend time on all of these problems so I feel your frustration.

These are not scanned handwritten notes.   These are notes written into an e-note tablet device named Remarkable2.   The electronic notebook in the tablet can be emailed as a pdf, png or svg, file.  

• Level 5

When you read my post it says „create a pdf, OCR it first and then send it into EN“. This because EN will not OCR handwriting in a pdf.

There is software able to OCR a pdf, even if it is handwriting. Such software AFAIK does not come for free. Once it is OCRed, EN will use this index, no matter if it came from handwritten stuff or not.

Personally I avoid this sort of trouble. I use GoodNotes 5 on my iPad. It creates its own OCR index of what I write. It is already fully searchable in GN5, directly after writing.

When I export to a pdf, the index is exported with it. After importing into EN it is immediately searchable. The pdf has all pages I decide to export, exactly how I see them inside of GN5, page order and everything else.

I am aware of the Remarkable devices. My personal opinion is a superior handwriting experience combined with an inferior package regarding connectivity and further capabilities. Not easy to solve. 

This is especially true if the „little“ detail that the handwritten stuff comes from a Remarkable is given way way down after several posts were exchanged. 

Oh, my Ferrari won’t drive, the engine makes no noise, I need help … bla bla … bla bla … oh, by the way, it is out of gas ! 

PE, I purchased Good Notes 5 as you suggested.   It doesn’t ocr/index externally created PDF’s containing “Remarkable2” handwritten notes that I email to my Good Note app.   Or, I am doing something wrong.   Maybe you can try it yourself if you have time.

I have an ipad and apple pencils, but they don’t come close to the feel of writing on the Remarkable2.   And asking me to use goodnotes on an ipad is equivalent to asking me to use a pickup truck instead of my porsche.  I have a pickup truck and I use it as intended all the time.  But when I want a great driving experience, I use my porsche!   Like the Remarakable it is not as useful as an ipad, but it does the one thing I am doing (writing) better than any other device on the market today.    If you can not provide any factual helpful response, no need to respond!

With respect to your latest snarky reply, the handwriting device I use to create the file is not relevant.  A SVG and PNG files are standard file formats.   What device they are created on has no bearing on the issue.  

But, to 100% confirm the file contained the pages in order, I emailed it and it arrives the same way it was sent.   However, when I send it to Evernote, something is done to the file.  Your explanations about the internet and taking different paths is old news.   This does not effect files.   What goes in, comes out the same way - Period.   Whether the IP traverses over frame relay, atm, vpn or sdn, it works.   Understand?  Do you need me to explain these network protocols to you?   

Thank you.  

8 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

I am aware of the Remarkable devices. My personal opinion is a superior handwriting experience combined with an inferior package regarding connectivity and further capabilities. Not easy to solve. 

By the way, you are spot on about the RM2.   The other thing I like about the RM2, just like a paper note pad, there are no distractions from texts, emails, etc..   I am easily distracted, like a child :).    Of course I could shut down the iPad apps and network connections, but that still leaves me with a poor writing on glass experience.  Obviously my opinion on the writing experience, but most people that try writing on the RM2 are very impressed.   But, it is a little expensive for what it does.

• Level 5

Never had a problem myself with my iPad writing experience (iPad Pro 10.5, Apple Pencil gen 1). But I know other people don’t like it. 

There is a screen protector called Paperlike, that makes it smoother without being abrasive  to the pencil tip.

About distraction free usage: There is the do not disturb function, just one swipe and click  (in my case on my Apple Watch). It mutes all Apple devices with one command.

With the next OS generation there will be the Focus setup - it controls  apps and messages depending on a szenario (work, private, workout, night etc.) that defines what is allowed and what is muted. 

• Like 1

Now that I own GoodNotes :), I guess I should at least try the Paperlike.  thanks.

I have 2 apple watches and a few iPads, iMac and mac-mini.  Yes, I am seeing a professional about my electronic toy issues!

But, I really like taking notes on the RM2 and having the iPad ready and waiting for all other digital activities.   Boy are we spoiled!

• Like 1