List tasks by notebook or tag + remove notes with all tasks completed

Pep Rosenfeld

Idea

First of all, thank you for tasks. A true game changer!

For me (and I imagine others), the ability to list tasks by notebook or tag would be extremely helpful. 

Much of my workflow is organized by tag or notebook, so it would be great to see all tasks in notes with tag, "this week" or the notebook labeled "B2B projects."

Also, it would be great to have the option to hide notes on the tasks list where all the tasks are completed. Also handy would be the option to remove the "add new tag" space which makes the task list longer and more unwieldy than it needs to be.

Thanks!

Pep

• Like 1

10 replies to this idea

Well, well, well. I see that I just hadn't played with it enough. You CAN view the task list by notebook. (View by tag would still be helpful).

You CAN decide to not see notes with completed tasks (by hiding completed tasks).

And it's no longer showing me "Add new task" in each note on the task list (though I have no idea how that stopped)

Thanks again, Evernote! This is a game changer!

Pep

• Thanks 1
22 hours ago, Pep Rosenfeld said:

You CAN decide to not see notes with completed tasks (by hiding completed tasks).

If I hide completed tasks, I still see my notes with zero outstanding tasks in the tasks pane when I sort by note (on Windows, Android, and web). They're actually completely hidden for you?

No, sorry, they're not. I was so excited that the "add a new task" was gone (when I filter by notebook; feels more like a fluke than a plan) that I thought both were happening. Yes, I see how stupid that sounds.

My workaround plan is delete all tasks in a note when completed, but that's pretty weak.

8 hours ago, SvenlyT said:

This is the issue I am having. Eventually there would be many "notebooks" with 0's in the list. Its almost a show stopper.

So I'm full in on deleting all the tasks when I get to zero. The OCD nerd in me hates deleting them, but the rest of me realized, who cares, they're done. And it's almost a catharsis now: "I finished every task in this note... DELETE THEM."

In my heart of hearts, I expect the problem to be solved.

And the overall helpfulness of tasks vastly outweighs the nuisance of the workaround! So don't let it stop your show!

• Level 5

The discussion on this among users and with EN staff is ongoing. I flag the post for you.

Personally I think tasks done should be kept with all details , in some sort of archive not visible unless you open it. In some organizations this may even be necessary, for compliance reasons (business use case).

@Scott T. FYI

• Like 4
On 6/13/2021 at 9:18 AM, gadgetfan said:

If I hide completed tasks, I still see my notes with zero outstanding tasks in the tasks pane when I sort by note (on Windows, Android, and web). They're actually completely hidden for you?

I've found a work around.  There is always a blank task left behind in the note.  I type 1 letter in the note so that I can delete it and that removes the note from the list without deleting the note.

deleting a task.png

• Thanks 2