Ability to hide a Task when completed

JoeSmoe

Idea

28 replies to this idea

5 minutes ago, JoeSmoe said:

This worked for the actual Tasks page, but I have those tasks in a Note and when completing those they still stay on the list, just greyed and crossed out.

Would there be any way to automatically delete the task from the note when it is completed? 

Right now there is no way to hide completed tasks within a note. Hopefully that is something we can do soon. I have either been deleting completed tasks or moving them to another note to clean the visual clutter up. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, buckethead said:

Open up the task slide over (choose tasks early access on left menu) and in the upper right select the three dots for the following menu

image.png

This worked for the actual Tasks page, but I have those tasks in a Note and when completing those they still stay on the list, just greyed and crossed out.

Would there be any way to automatically delete the task from the note when it is completed? 

7 minutes ago, buckethead said:

Right now there is no way to hide completed tasks within a note. Hopefully that is something we can do soon. I have either been deleting completed tasks or moving them to another note to clean the visual clutter up. 

Perfect, thanks so much for the help. These Tasks are so close to being great, just need a little bit more automation like this and being able to customize the "Due ..." message for it to be there for me. 

Related to this idea of cleaning up by moving completed tasks -- it seems that the default for drag/drop is to copy the task.  I would find the feature more useful/faster if the default was a move, not a copy.  Has this been considered? 

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
On 6/11/2021 at 5:48 PM, JoeSmoe said:

The team is looking into the right way to do this. Need to make sure it's a good user experience.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Ex Employees
3 hours ago, tersedavid said:

Related to this idea of cleaning up by moving completed tasks -- it seems that the default for drag/drop is to copy the task.  I would find the feature more useful/faster if the default was a move, not a copy.  Has this been considered? 

Can you provide additional information? Drag and drop should definitely not be duplicating the task. Are you doing this within the note editor? If possible, I'd love to see a video of what you are seeing so I can try to reproduce.

9 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

The team is looking into the right way to do this. Need to make sure it's a good user experience.

I would think that making it a togglable option to automatically delete/hide the task after completion similar to how it already is in the separate Tasks section would make everyone happy 😀

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Can't do a video right now, but it is super easy to replicate.  Open a new note, put a few tasks in it.  Open another note.  Drag a task from the first note to the second -- voila, two tasks with the same name, both in the notes and also in the tasks window.  Same for completed tasks.

• Ex Employees
20 hours ago, tersedavid said:

Can't do a video right now, but it is super easy to replicate.  Open a new note, put a few tasks in it.  Open another note.  Drag a task from the first note to the second -- voila, two tasks with the same name, both in the notes and also in the tasks window.  Same for completed tasks.

Thank you, this helped clarify things. I thought you meant drag and drop within the same note. I am able to reproduce the behavior you are seeing. I checked and this matches the behavior of other items you might try to drag between notes, such as text, photos, etc. I would be hesitant to introduce a change that would be different than other items. Nonetheless, I've brought it up to our project manager to consider.

If you want to move a task, for now you can either:

1. In the tasks view, click on the task to open the task editor and click on the move icon next to the note name to change the containing note.
  2. In the editor, click the "..." next to a task to open the task editor and click on the move icon next to the note name to change the containing note.
  3. In the tasks view, drag and drop the task to another note within the tasks view
  • Thanks 3
  • Ex Employees
5 hours ago, tersedavid said:

Thanks, another solution would be to have cut and paste work between notes (cutting and pasting the full task)

Cut and paste of tasks works, though I'll admit that the highlighting of tasks is a bit weird and can be improved. I think we'll work to make that better. 

To cut and paste, make sure that you see the blue box around the task(s) as you highlight them. You can copy or cut and then paste into a different note. All the metadata should get cut/copied as well. Works in both desktop and mobile, though admittedly harder to select tasks in mobile.

• Like 2
  • Level 5

For mobile I think we have to keep in mind there are phones, and there are tablets, especially the iPad (Pro).

Some things that are hard to do on a phone are actually easy on an iPad, especially when using a real keyboard instead of the soft keys.

4 hours ago, PinkElephant said:

For mobile I think we have to keep in mind there are phones, and there are tablets, especially the iPad (Pro).

Some things that are hard to do on a phone are actually easy on an iPad, especially when using a real keyboard instead of the soft keys.

This is very true. Though on the iOS app it is hard to do much even with a keyboard and mouse. I end up opening the Web App in Safari to do things like copy and paste from one note to another. Also can actually manually rearrange tasks using a mouse pretty easily in Safari on iOS, which you cannot do in the app….

It would be nice if the iPadOS app had some additional features that take advantage of the screen size and ability to multi-task somewhat.

I don't mean to be a downer... but WE CAN'T have completed tasks disappear or even be hidden from a note?!  Completed tasks won't even move to the bottom in the note? So, for instance, a grocery list would just get longer and longer, week after week until there are hundred of items? That's a little ridiculous.  

What is the value of this feature?  You're providing me something inferior to what comes with my operating system already -- a reminders list. But your's comes with very little functionality.  

Please explain what is the upside of using Evernote for tasks instead of just the OS Reminders App.

Anything new about hiding completed tasks inside notes? or at least moving them to the bottom or anything that does not render the note almost useless after you have done lots of tasks? it's hard to believe that such a simple (and standard for to-do apps) feature isn't available yet!

• Evernote Expert
2 hours ago, davidfmendes said:

Anything new about hiding completed tasks inside notes? or at least moving them to the bottom or anything that does not render the note almost useless after you have done lots of tasks? it's hard to believe that such a simple (and standard for to-do apps) feature isn't available yet!

But we don't know if this is easy to do in Evernote. It is easy to describe but not, necessarily simple to program. That said the Tasks menu pop out does have the ability to hide completed tasks (or show them completed but at the bottom of the list). So I presume what folk are seeking is for the ordering inside the specific note. Otherwise the job is already done.

I've got two contradictory requirements here.

I have a "Non-project tasks" note, which is a long list of standalone tasks. I would be happy for those to get hidden once completed. At the moment I either move them to an archive note, or delete them completely.

I also have project notes (in a GTD-like manner) when I'm doing something that involves several tasks. I don't want those tasks to disappear or move to the bottom of the note, as I often put comments about each one. I can see a history of the tasks in a project, with other useful details. That's one of the reasons I like the Evernote way of doing tasks.

I'd be happy with toggling task visibility in a note, as long as they reappear in the right place...

This is a big usability block for me. For example, the default "Things to do" note is now a stream of completed tasks with a handful of uncompleted tasks interspersed throughout. This makes it a nightmare to navigate and find an active task that I am looking for. I'm confused as to why completed tasks hang around at all. What use is displaying completed tasks? They should at least be moved somewhere (bottom of the list, into the trash, etc) by default. To clear up my list, I have to go in and manually delete completed tasks, which is not ideal.

As a concrete example, think of a shared grocery list. In just a few months this would grow to contain hundreds of completed items. Why would anyone want to keep a completed purchase of milk hanging around on a list forever? 

An implementation that I have seen elsewhere is that completed tasks expire after some period of time (usually a day, but the user can set the value). That way, if you accidentally check off an item you can uncheck it, and if you want to see what you've accomplished over the day/week/etc. you can do that, but the list clears itself to maintain usability. This should not be hard to do at all.

• Evernote Expert

I suspect that the designers worked on the assumption that tasks would primarily be accessed via the menu bar rather than individual which are more like containers.

The suggested method of working is, though, logical and I'd add my vote.

On 6/16/2021 at 12:49 PM, Scott T. said:

You have a show completed option in the task pane, I don't understand why you can't have that in the note pane as well. Once you start getting a long list of items, it becomes a real pain to scroll to thru the entire list. I don't want to delete completed items. This is a big reason why I use Evernote - so that I have the history of what has been entered. Please fix this. Thanks.

Any idea on when the option to have completed tasks disappear will be implemented in a note? Such a basic attribute of task lists. Currently have many tasks with some complete requires me to constantly scroll to find what I need to complete. Really unusable for workflow and am considering going back to Google Keep.

• Like 1

When will this option be available? I do not understand how this is not an option from the get go while designing the feature. Who in their right mind would go "yeah lets keep the greyed out tasks in the default task note with no sorting ability. That should do it." *taps hood

• Like 1

Hello, I take the personal plan for move from OneNote to Evernote because of this functionality (that OneNote don't have), and now I realize that it can't even be done with Evernote. Are there any news? Is there a possibility that this functionality will be implemented?

Thank you.

• Evernote Expert

Completed tasks are hidden in the tasks button. In the note they are greyed out. Although not hidden in the note it is clear what has been completed. What many users would like, I think, is automatic sorting so that completed items are moved to the bottom of three list.