Tasks was finally available to me on Android, but a tutorial ("onboarding") was forced on me that I wish could be skipped.

kbhasi

Idea

I had been testing this feature since the private beta, but because Evernote didn't enroll me into the private beta for Android, only Windows, I lost a lot of productivity by not being able to access my list on Android.

Tasks early access has finally been rolled out to me on Android, BUT when I tried to activate it, I had to tap a button to activate it, then Evernote forced a tutorial (EDIT: apparently it's called "onboarding" within the software development space) on me even though I was in the private beta and already knew how to use it! It even created a tutorial note and I was able to exit out of that to the main menu in order to derail and crash the tutorial, which had already set that note as my default and so I had to trash that note and change it back to my real default note!

I just wanted to get in to being able to access my note that I could previously only access on the Windows client, so I didn't take screenshots of the prompt asking me to enable it, and the forced tutorial that followed.

EDIT 2: Basically, the Android client treated me as though I had never used the Tasks private beta on the Windows client prior, but unskippable forced tutorials in apps and on websites is a design trait that I hate!!!!!!!!!!

8 replies to this idea

• Ex Employees
17 minutes ago, kbhasi said:

Basically, the Android client treated me as though I had never used the Tasks private beta on the Windows client prior

The usage of Tasks is different between desktop and mobile, so they have different walkthroughs. Currently the information on whether a user has seen the Tasks walkthrough is on a per-user, per-device basis. I can bring this up as something to re-evaluate, but some other less tech-savvy users may find the mobile walkthrough beneficial even if they've seen the desktop one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees
1 minute ago, kbhasi said:

The problem is that I have a ton of task notes and the tutorial changed my default note setting, so I had to manually find the correct note and change the setting back.

This sounds like a bug, though. It should have just brought up your existing default task note, not made a new one and changed it.

• Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees

@kbhasiNo worries. I appreciate the feedback. We actually had a bug while creating the onboarding for mobile where it created a duplicate default task note. I thought we had fixed it, but you might be hitting another case. I'm looking at reproducing the problem now and I'll get a ticket in to fix it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Level 5

How many clicks for the tutorial ? A hand full, maybe 2 - not more.

And you are writing 1.243 characters bundled in 234 words just to tell us you hate it. Slightly out of balance, when I think about it.

The tutorial is for the average user, not participating in betas, not being an Einstein of software development like yourself. Just endure it, for the sake of the rest of us, and for saving us some forum posts asking what could have been explained in a nice tutorial, like that one.

See, I took less than half of your keys and zero hate flux to reply.

1 minute ago, PinkElephant said:

How many clicks for the tutorial ? A hand full, maybe 2 - not more.

And you are writing 1.243 characters bundled in 234 words just to tell us you hate it. Slightly out of balance, when I think about it.

The tutorial is for the average user, not participating in betas, not being an Einstein of software development like yourself. Just endure it, for the sake of the rest of us, and for saving us some forum posts asking what could have been explained in a nice tutorial, like that one.

See, I took less than half of your keys and zero hate flux to reply.

About 20 clicks to get out of the tutorial on desktop. Also, if you can and still have solder flux on your fingers, please tell me how you were able to get "Word and Resource Counts" here which is missing from the current desktop client.

The problem is that I have a ton of task notes and the tutorial changed my default note setting, so I had to manually find the correct note and change the setting back.

I've already used zero solder flux in everything I've typed.

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, Scott T. said:

The usage of Tasks is different between desktop and mobile, so they have different walkthroughs. Currently the information on whether a user has seen the Tasks walkthrough is on a per-user, per-device basis. I can bring this up as something to re-evaluate, but some other less tech-savvy users may find the mobile walkthrough beneficial even if they've seen the desktop one.

Finally! A real answer that makes sense, not like that seemingly dedicated Apple user "PinkElephant" and their reply! You get double "thanks" from me as a result! (Apologies - I'm just a little stressed from their reply as I've had to deal with similar replies before)

Just now, Scott T. said:

@kbhasiNo worries. I appreciate the feedback. We actually had a bug while creating the onboarding for mobile where it created a duplicate default task note. I thought we had fixed it, but you might be hitting another case. I'm looking at reproducing the problem now and I'll get a ticket in to fix it. 

I see! Thanks for the helpful explanations!

If you'd like, I could provide screenshots here of the duplicate default and/or a portion of my real task note (of which I had posted a screenshot of it in the Windows client here).

• Level 5

@kbhasi Just wiped my fingers clean.

2 options for the word count: Word Service, which installs itself in a drop down menu when I select a text and do a right click. Or pop clip, a menu bar Gadget that beside some other tricks shows a count when you select a text and move the mouse pointer over it. Both for the Mac.

Little stuff that makes life a bit easier. Only for the enlightened among us who knows to tell the apples from the oranges.

• Thanks 1