Outlook Source URL

I've had a good look around and can't see this conversation anywhere else, but I can't for the life of me get the SourceURL for notes created through the Evernote for Outlook add-on to open the linked email.

It opens up the web version of Outlook, but takes me directly to my inbox instead of the email I'm looking for.

The fact I can't find a solution anywhere suggests it's probably my error more than anything. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience, or found any fixes?

• Level 5*

Hi. That could be a bug in v10 if you're using the new version - try contacting Support for their comment.  I'm not an Outlook web user - mine is the installed Office version.  My email process involves attaching an ongoing thread email .MSG file to my note.  Opening the file from Evernote causes the Outlook app to open and display the content.  Don't know if any of that would work with your version...

Evernote Help >> https://help.evernote.com/hc/requests/new 

• 4 months later...
On 6/7/2021 at 9:17 PM, Josh B said:

I've had a good look around and can't see this conversation anywhere else, but I can't for the life of me get the SourceURL for notes created through the Evernote for Outlook add-on to open the linked email.

It opens up the web version of Outlook, but takes me directly to my inbox instead of the email I'm looking for.

The fact I can't find a solution anywhere suggests it's probably my error more than anything. Just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience, or found any fixes?

Did you ever find a fix to this? 

This is hurting my workflow significantly 

• Level 5*
On 10/31/2021 at 6:15 PM, EvernoteDini said:

Did you ever find a fix to this? 

As noted above - there has (AFAIK) never been an option to open an original Outlook email from a clipped copy.  Getting a URL for an email seems to require some technical intervention on individual accounts - see https://superuser.com/questions/71786/can-i-create-a-link-to-a-specific-email-message-in-outlook for some indications. 

Gmail (I believe) is set up differently,  so if you can divert your Outlook emails to Gmail you may be able to set something up via Evernote's Google clipper.  Otherwise I find that copying the MSG file (drag/ dropping the email to my desktop, and then into Evernote) will give me the ability to click on the file in Evernote and re-open the email in Outlook.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gazumped said:

As noted above - there has (AFAIK) never been an option to open an original Outlook email from a clipped copy.  Getting a URL for an email seems to require some technical intervention on individual accounts - see https://superuser.com/questions/71786/can-i-create-a-link-to-a-specific-email-message-in-outlook for some indications. 

Gmail (I believe) is set up differently,  so if you can divert your Outlook emails to Gmail you may be able to set something up via Evernote's Google clipper.  Otherwise I find that copying the MSG file (drag/ dropping the email to my desktop, and then into Evernote) will give me the ability to click on the file in Evernote and re-open the email in Outlook.

I wonder if integromat can do this automatically for you to avoid the drag/drop

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
7 hours ago, EvernoteDini said:

I wonder if integromat can do this automatically for you to avoid the drag/drop

There's a whole alphabet of automation tools (Actiondesk to Zapier) that could probably help with that.  In my case a lot of email content gets sent from Gmail directly to my Evernote email address where they get sorted and tagged by Filterize* and deleted from Gmail.  The balance gets IMAPped to Outlook** for my individual perusal,  and anything new (maybe one or two per day) may require a copy email so I can respond easily.  I never thought it worthwhile to look at alternatives - most often I just copy/ paste note contents back into Outlook or Gmail when I reply.

* This is a freemium service that -sadly- is shutting down October 2022 :(

** Gmail doesn't have a Windows client and I hate their UI - plus Outlook 2013 still has a multiple email clipper I can use where necessary... 

• 2 months later...

@gazumped,  When using the Evernote extension for Outlook, I can save an email directly to EN. When I do this, a box appears in the top right corner of the note with a link That would open outlook to the original email. It used to work beautifully, but now, instead of opening the email, it simply opens an outlook window. It's a very important feature for my workflow of handling a hundred emails a day.

• Level 5*
5 minutes ago, Dpez said:

a box appears in the top right corner of the note with a link That would open outlook to the original email.

Hmmn.  I was never aware of that option - unless another user can confirm similar problems I'd suggest you restart your system if you haven't already,  and if the issue is still present,  report this to Support to get their view.