Task Advanced Search

B Higgs

Idea

9 replies to this idea

This is helpful for saving note searches / filters that contain tasks. 

But it doesn’t yet seem possible to save filters or searches within the tasks view?

Each time you filter or search it has to be done from scratch. It would be great to be able to save these  .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, buckethead said:

Using the filter options you can created saved searches.

Not quite as simple as it sounds as you cannot save filters. You do need to search first and then filter. If you want to filter all notes the best option is to search for * and then filter.

2 hours ago, Mike P said:

Not quite as simple as it sounds as you cannot save filters.

Not sure what you mean here. I have a couple of task filters set as saved searches. You can set multiple filters and then save the filters as a saved search - at least on iOS. The * doesn’t work to well for tasks as there is no search syntax yet, unless that changed with Early Access  

image.png

image.png

14 minutes ago, buckethead said:

Not sure what you mean here. I have a couple of task filters set as saved searches. You can set multiple filters and then save the filters as a saved search - at least on iOS.

On the desktop clients at least you need to have added something to the search box in order for it to be defined as a "search" and hence able to be saved as a "saved search". You can then filter the search results if you need to.  If you start from all notes and simply filter using the filter menu you do not get the option to save the filter.

To give an example with tags, if I search for the RKanalysis tag using the search syntax I can save the search.

image.png.ae4320bc93954d2df4ab74cfcc34313e.png

If I simply filter by clicking the tag in the sidebar or by using the filter menu I get the same results but do not have the option of saving the search because EN does not think it is a search.

image.png.63e24642ffebf892436af86eccfe58fb.png

The workaround is to search for * before filtering. No option to save as I've just filtered all notes:

image.png.b3c93af57c8f3df3711db0a0606b4062.png

Search for * and then filter and I have the option to save:

image.png.d2408c04cb11e8a4c9d013896d1b83a8.png

I totally agree that we need search syntax for tasks!

• Like 3
On 6/6/2021 at 1:31 PM, B Higgs said:

Are there search operators associated with the new Tasks?

@B Higgs

contains:task

for notes with completed and incomplete tasks

contains:taskCompleted

for notes with completed tasks

contains:taskNotCompleted

for notes with incomplete tasks

The help article should be updated soon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Level 5*
On 6/9/2021 at 12:50 AM, Tom Donohue said:

search operators associated with the new Tasks?

Thanks for the search information   
I need to be able to search the new task entities   
and access the new fields (title, due-date, reminder-date, ...)

• Like 1

Thanks for the "contains" syntax. 🙂

Do you have syntax for the tasks due dates? I want to be able to search for tasks in notes in a notebook with a due date within the next week.