Opening Evernote via menu bar icon launches window in last desktop used, not current desktop

Setup:

• macOS Big Sur (11.2.1) with multiple desktops (or Spaces, visible via Mission Control).
  • Evernote 10.14.7 (but really any recent version of Evernote).

Scenario:

• Evernote was open on Desktop 1.
  • I close the Evernote window.
  • I move over to Desktop 2.
  • Using the Evernote icon in the menu bar, I click the icon with the arrow pointing to the top-right, "Open Evernote."

What I expect:

• Evernote window should open in Desktop 2. Or, whatever desktop I am currently viewing at the moment I click "Open Evernote."

What actually happens:

• MacOS switches over to Desktop 1, and opens Evernote.

Is there a setting to have Evernote open a window in the Desktop/Space you're actually viewing, instead of opening Evernote in the last space where it remembers being used?  For that matter, will it be possible to have more than one Evernote window open at a time, like in the old days?

Thank you

• Level 5

The good old days were not so good after all, and they are gone - for good or bad.

Think of EN as a browser (hidden) which has an app running inside of it (EN client). Probably the behavior has to do with the setup. If I am not mistaken you can't by default have Safari running at the same time on two desktops. At least I can't, when I try to open Safari on a new desktop it takes me to the old desktop instead.

Same with EN.

• 1 month later...

Yes same issue .... especially in window full screen desktop switching is annoying!

Solution: if need be using menu bar helper on other desktop you must use minimize window on all relevant desktops  (Just sad!)

No preference any more so can select helper to work on background or can be always on top? 

Nice minimal design but with minimal performance!

On 6/9/2021 at 3:37 PM, PinkElephant said:

The good old days were not so good after all, and they are gone - for good or bad.

Think of EN as a browser (hidden) which has an app running inside of it (EN client). Probably the behavior has to do with the setup. If I am not mistaken you can't by default have Safari running at the same time on two desktops. At least I can't, when I try to open Safari on a new desktop it takes me to the old desktop instead.

Same with EN.

For Safari, you can have it running on multiple desktops/spaces.

There are some similarities between Safari and the Evernote situation I'm describing, but there is a workaround.

For Safari: if you have Safari open in Desktop 1, and then move to Desktop 2 and click the Safari icon in the dock, you will be taken back to Desktop 1.

Workaround: Move to Desktop 2, alt-tab to select Safari, and then hit command-N, which will open a new browser window in desktop 2.

That's the solution required for Evernote.

The maddening thing about the new Evernote is that there is no option to "Create New Evernote Window." We are limited to having one Evernote window open at any given time, which is mind-bogglingly frustrating.

• Level 5

EN is designed to work in a similar way on all sorts of devices. This multi-desktop feature AFAIK is something pretty special to MacOS (even when there is something similar on Windows, it works differently). So probably it is not in the focus of EN currently to deliver functions that only work on one OS, and not on the others.

You better find a way that suits your use cases and work with the current restrictions. Maybe installing the legacy client could help you out.