Why No Positivity?

I follow threads on here, having been an EN user since 2013, most of that time as premium.

The last few months have been challenging with changes made not always effective, but the naysaying and doom-mongering is wearing. 

Despite changes and lags the data has been rock-solid. Every change is adding or backfilling features. The web version is immeasurably improved, the IOS version (on iPhone) is now as fast as before and better laid out. The Windows version has got better, though still not quite as good as Legacy. 

The thing we are seeing is incremental progress from a scorched earth rebuild. 

I have been frustrated by some of the changes, but overall kudos to EN, Ian Small and the developers for taking a brave step and implementing it. I fully expect more improvements to come based on evidence of updates in the last 12 months.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*

People love to complain, people hate change.

Anyone experienced with product management would have known that the sort of changes that Evernote have had to make in order to survive were bound to cause lots of complaints (especially from those who use the app in their own "special way").

I'm sure they've also figured in a certain amount of the paying user base who will go away and never come back. Doesn't matter, they had to change to survive and if they believe that the new model will allow them to do more with less then the user numbers will recover and hopefully increase.

Worry about how the app is working for you and less about everyone else would be my best advice.

• Like 3

I use Evernote 10 almost exclusively. I still get frustrated with missing features and slower performance, but I believe in the direction Ian and the Evernote team are taking us. 

• Level 5*

I use the Evernote Legacy product extensively for all my data   
The v10 product doesn't address my requirements (yet?), so I don't use it - seems a simple decision to me   
I'm not into "naysaying and doom-mongering"

I'm more interested in product features that improve my use, than focusing on missing or incomplete features;    
a glass half full  mindset

• Like 1

I will add some love too. It’s not so obvious in these general forums, but there are some great conversations happening in the beta forums. There are some staff members who are interacting, listening, and even implementing ideas from the community. (I’m taking credit for the template option in the iOS create button). 

• Like 1

(NB: Although I was looking for a direct reply to my question about missing features, I landed here. I must be on some list of 'negative users') 🙂

Well, I can assume it has to do with my comment from at least a year ago with a lengthy list of features which plainly went missing since V10. 

PinkElephant answered: "*You are only noting negative issues. There are many positive issues as well,"  (not sure, @PinkElephant, whether you were addressing me directly, as it is so hard to use this forum .... clicking a direct link from the email is one thing, but then once I log in to the forum, all disappears.) 

But to answer the question:  Some forum member (supporters)  misunderstand paying customers. 

As a paying Premium customer, who continues to be one,  I never expected so many useful features to go away. 

Some features admittedly have since slowly returned, though. And so things are looking up again. If I were 'so negative' I would have scrapped this app long ago.

I've been using Evernote for ages (premium). Unfortunately, it hasn't always been getting better. My simplest most basic usage is storing passwords. As encrypted text. Today I needed a credit card password. Looked it up in my Android app, decrypted it and TRIED TO COPY it. It failed. While trying to copy it I managed to delete the whole encrypted text block. How can something as basic as this fail???

Thankfully, sync still sucks reliably, so I was able to fish the entry out of my desktop app.

Seriously guys, stop ***** this up!

Sorry, no positivity here.

• Level 5

This is - I am sorry - a use case you should seriously reconsider. There are good password managers available that are build to safely store passwords, and other sensitive information. They have structured fields to hold this information, they encrypt the whole access code (not just the PW) and they help you to create strong and unique passwords. There is a PW history, just in case.

The EN encryption was not created for this use, as you have just proven to yourself. The risk of loosing things due to a simple typo is too big (among other problems). It is IMHO not EN ***** things up here.

As I see it you simply use the wrong tool.

P.S. This says as well the EN encryption IMHO is far from being a good tool - I always have the impression of an afterthought, converted into code.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Xenna said:

I've been using Evernote for ages (premium). Unfortunately, it hasn't always been getting better. My simplest most basic usage is storing passwords. As encrypted text. Today I needed a credit card password. Looked it up in my Android app, decrypted it and TRIED TO COPY it. It failed. While trying to copy it I managed to delete the whole encrypted text block. How can something as basic as this fail???

Thankfully, sync still sucks reliably, so I was able to fish the entry out of my desktop app.

Seriously guys, stop ***** this up!

Sorry, no positivity here.

The copy is a little bit counterintuitive for android users: just shortly click the text and select "copy". You actually click on the right arrow drop down menu.

This is different from a long click android users are used to for a text selection.

• Thanks 1