Tasks assigned to others

shekala

Idea

Loving the first iteration of Tasks. Please consider a designation for tasks assigned to others and add a filter for that designation. I include tasks for myself in notes as well as tasks I am waiting on from others, so would be very helpful to have both within the new task set up.

Thanks!

• Like 2

11 replies to this idea

• Level 5

There is maybe a method to assign a task to another person:

• Create a task
  • Put it into a new note
  • Share this note with the person you want to assign it to

If sharing tasks with other people is a standard procedure for you, you can probably create a notebook „Assigned Tasks“, containing one note per person you are working with. When you create a new task, you put it into the correct note, which automatically shares it.

It gets complicated when you want to share with several people. But in this case probably another tool is better suited anyhow - like a KanBan project manager.

Have not tried it - maybe you want to test it, and post a feedback.

• Level 5*
38 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Put it into a new note

That seems to be the best practice.  As a new note, there's more flexibility; tags, sharing etc

Back to the original task, i's like to replace the text with a link to the new note    
oops  Links are not supported

Thanks for the suggestions, but the assigned to others tasks are not the type of task I would share with someone else. The  workflow is more like:

1. I am on the phone taking notes during a conversation
  2. I currently use bullet points for data and checkboxes for tasks
  3. I use a double checkbox when the task is in the hands of someone else
  4. This then allows me to easily glance at a note and see what open tasks remain in my hands as well as in other people's hands
  5. Under the new Task system, I can create a task for myself but there is no way to see if it is a task I am waiting for someone else to complete
  6. I suppose I could use the flag attribute as a designator for tasks assigned to others, but would rather have a specific attribute for that and thus save the flag for key tasks as it is designed to do.

In other words, I am not sharing notes with others. It is just my on the fly notetaking approach that I am hoping to make even better through the use of the new Task features in Evernote. 

Am certainly open to further suggestions and appreciate your input!
Thanks,

David

• Level 5

Well, probably you will have a hard time to get to a setup that works out exactly as you are used to work currently.

The feature is new and needs to be explored. The forum will probably boil while everybody tries to apply the new function to the personal workflow.

There is a flagging possibility for tasks (don’t know yet what it does) - maybe you could flag all tasks that are meant for others.

Thanks, yes, I mentioned the flagging in point 6 above, but hoping someone from Evernote will pay attention and add another attribute for "assigned to others". 

• Level 5

Maybe they follow postings about tasks more closely than others. 

To get things to ENs attention, you can use the feedback option of the clients, or issue a support ticket.

From a philosophical view: I have been in a management role for decades. When I assign a task to somebody, I expect him to follow up himself. I make this VERY clear. I will follow up myself, but not in a way somebody can rely on me doing so. I am the boss, remember ? 

This means firsthand I have to tell somebody that I want him to act on something, and deliver a result. Thus the idea about sharing the task.

I completely agree, but at the same time, "trust but verify". In other words, I do clearly communicate the ask, but at the end of the day, I pay the price for a lack of response, so generally speaking I put a reminder on the note that has tasks needed from others. In the same light, I use reminders on emails I send (and love Mixmax for that function), wherein I can make a request via email and ensure that if no response within a designated period of time that it is brought back to my attention, along with notes to reminder me of the specific context and issues (also available in Mixmax).  Just trying to emulate that within Evernote and I think the new Task function will work well if they add an additional attribute. 

Thanks for the discussion. This kind of back and forth always leads to useful ideas. Have a great weekend.

David

• Like 1
  • Level 5

@shekala Sure you need to keep track on things, but it is a fine line:

Too much control leads to an atmosphere of mistrust, or even one of shifting responsibility from the person the task is assigned to to the one who is in control. „Hey boss, if it was that urgent I expected you would ask. You always do …“.

On the other hand giving too much rope easily lets something slip, which can be a real deal stopper when others relied on the outcome.

So as always, technology is an aide, but knowing your team is the key. Some need a triple motivational speech before doing the first step, others would freak if asked while they are busy to get it done. I prefer direct team communication (if possible) over ticking off electronically assigned stuff.

This does not mean tasks it meaningless, it can surely help if used in the right way.

1 hour ago, PinkElephant said:

@shekala Sure you need to keep track on things, but it is a fine line:

Too much control leads to an atmosphere of mistrust, or even one of shifting responsibility from the person the task is assigned to to the one who is in control. „Hey boss, if it was that urgent I expected you would ask. You always do …“.

On the other hand giving too much rope easily lets something slip, which can be a real deal stopper when others relied on the outcome.

So as always, technology is an aide, but knowing your team is the key. Some need a triple motivational speech before doing the first step, others would freak if asked while they are busy to get it done. I prefer direct team communication (if possible) over ticking off electronically assigned stuff.

This does not mean tasks it meaningless, it can surely help if used in the right way.

Agreed. My approach is simple - when I send an email that requires a response, I use a Gmail extension called Mixmax that allows me to set a reminder at a specific date and time, along with personal notes only viewable by me. If the recipient gets back to me before the reminder date, all is well. If not, I follow up. Given that I am in sales, my follow ups are managing my leads, not colleagues, and thus are even more essential. Thus, managing such follow ups within Evernote would be very helpful.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, alexandremrj said:

This could be solved by tags, where the Waiting For tag could be applied to theses tasks that you are waiting a response.

True, and thank you. I am just hoping that Evernote simply adds another attribute to the task. The new Task screen in the mobile iphone app is beautiful and with this addition of such an attribute, would be one more helpful filtering function (in addition to Due Date and Flagged).

• Like 1