Jump to content

(Archived) new mac version = can't start

Recommended Posts

Evernote Mac invited me to update today. I did, but it failed on the step "Migrating Note from Previous Version". Now it won't open, showing the same error.

What should I do?

1. Remove the installation completely. Reinstall. Will it sync with the servers and bring back my notebooks?

2. Clear some local files or caches? Which ones can be erased, yet allow my notes to be recovered?

3. Erase my notebook files. Where are they stored? Will Evernote restore the remote ones when it syncs?

I don't care about the local-only notebooks, so Evernote could really redeem itself by bringing my notes back with a sync...

Other ideas?


Link to comment

Sorry to hear about the problems. We're investigating this and will post a solution this evening.

In the mean time ...

Were you running the latest Mac release before this problem happened, or were you running a release from a few weeks ago?

Approximately how many notes did you have in your account? (Dozens, hundreds, thousands)

Do you see anything relevant in the Apple "Console" when this happens? (You can launch the Console from the Applications "Utilities" folder)

Will get back to you with a workaround asap.


Link to comment

I have only been using Evernote for a week or so, therefore my version was whatever was on your site last week. I had only 30-40 notes. If I lost them or they are trashed, then I won't be happy. I didn't see anything in the Console. Sent you the error report that came up, you may be able to see something in it.


Link to comment

here it is specifically. I guess according to this I have 23 notes, but it seemed like there were more than that...

2008-04-24 16:51:29 -0700[4]: Updating encryption placeholders.

2008-04-24 16:51:29 -0700[4]: Updating reco search content.

2008-04-24 16:51:29 -0700[4]: Checking for local-only notes with server IDs

2008-04-24 16:51:30 -0700[4]: 23 notes to convert.

2008-04-24 16:51:48 -0700[5]: 2008-04-24 16:51:48.784 CrashReporter[421] Evernote terminated unexpectedly - preparing report

Link to comment

There was a bug in the code that logged information as we updated the local database on the Mac. This would hit users with notes in local notebooks that happened to meet certain internal conditions. As far as we can tell, this would not harm any data.

We have pushed out another update that fixes this problem. You should be able to get this fix automatically from the auto-update, but if you are currently affected by this bug, you may need to manually download the latest version of the software (e.g. if the bug crashes your client before it auto-updates itself). You can download the full installer from here:


Once the new code is installed, you should be able to just start the application and have it fix everything. Please let us know if you still encounter any problems.


Link to comment


This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Create New...