Get early access to Tasks

Shane D.

Idea

I love this update, it feels like Evernote is now starting to move forward quickly, building on a solid base.

A couple of questions:

• is it / will it be possible to use the Evernote search syntax to search for tasks? 'Tasks' does not seem to be recognised as an operator, in the way that 'Todo' finds all checkboxes. This would enable creating (and saving) advanced searches. 
  • tagging of tasks (as mentioned above by others) and then being able to filter them would be really useful to enable GTD support. At present the filtering function includes notebooks, but not tags. Notebook filtering of tasks can be useful - for example I moved notes with personal tasks into a different notebook to work tasks so they can be seen separately, but tag filtering would make this easier.
  • Like 1

I'm interested in testing out the wonderful sounding features of Tasks but am hesitant to put in a lot of work and effort before knowing if its full feature set will be included in the Premium plan or if I'll have to pay more for it.

I understand EV would like to test the water and see what the interest is before committing to prices. From my point of view, it seems odd to expect the EV user base to commit their time and effort in testing and assisting in working out the bugs without knowing if they are even going to be able to use Tasks when it's fully released.

I don't mean to offend anyone. I know I can just wait till it's released and then check it out. It's just that it looks like Tasks could really help me out. Hoping to hear about what's included in which plans real soon.

Thank you. Lenny

• Like 2
Em 07/06/2021 at 03:13, Tappu disse:

[Feature Request] It would be great to have tasks inside the Table or may be representation of tasks like a table/database.

I agree. I frequently use tables and sometimes we need to add a follow-up task or a Todo on a table item. This was the only thing I missed so far. 

• Like 1
Great feature so far! 

Is it possible to display 'Tasks' above 'Favorites' (Shortcuts) in the left sidebar? Because I have over 100+ Shortcuts and so you can imagine, that it always takes around 5-10 seconds to scroll down to 'Tasks'... 

Of course it would be best, if you can decide for yourself in which order the different areas are displayed in the left sidebar... because I have the same problem with 'All Notes' -> It also always takes 5-10 seconds to scroll down to the button (Notes) below the shortcuts.

And you always have to keep in mind that 'Notes' & now also 'Tasks' is ALWAYS only ONE button and it actually makes more sense if these two buttons are above 'Shortcuts', because their number doesn't change, while the number of 'Shortcuts' can vary greatly for each user.

A user with, say, 5 shortcuts will not find this annoying, while a user (like me) will often find it annoying to have to scroll down 100+ shortcuts each time to get to 'All Notes' and now also to 'Tasks'. 

That's why the ability to set the order of the areas (Home, Shortcuts, Tasks, Notes, Notesbooks, Tags, Shared, etc.) would be a huge step forward in Evernote (because some users also want to have, let’s say, 'Tags' displayed above 'Shortcuts', for example...).

But the first impression of 'Tasks' is definitely positive :) and I think, I'm not the only one who is happy about the positive development of Evernote!

(I published the same post 30 minutes ago, but apparently it disappeared... It had 2 or 3 likes by then, so it seems there is resonance with the improvement of setting the order of the areas for yourself!) :)
  • Like 5

When I opened EN this morning it said there was an upgrade available to I clicked on it.  

Nothing happened and I could not get EN to load from the Windows 10 start button.

I went to the EN website and downloaded the latest version manually.

Up popped "Tasks" and I did a test note and everything was great.

I restarted my computer and when I launched EN it did not have the Tasks heading on the left-hand menu and there was not button within a note to add a task.  

The version I am running is 10.15.6-win-ddl-public (2680) 

What gives?  How can I get Tasks operating?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Love this!! Just a couple of pieces of functionality and I will dump my task manager. I think EN did a great job of this in the first iteration though. I hope full functionality will be available for Premium users. 

• need to be able to snooze tasks not just reschedule reminders or add multiple reminders
  • true recurring tasks: keeps a record that you completed the task this week for example and puts another task to be completed in next week.
  • Show date and time task completed.
  • move the tasks section above shortcuts in the sidebar
  • would love to be able to tag tasks too. for me not critical though

EN is becoming indispensable for me again and I welcome it!

• Like 9

This is exactly what I missed and tried to accomplish by using pleexy and Todoist. I am very very happy with this feature in combination with linking notes to calendar items. A couple of suggestions:

• I am using stacks to specify the 'area of responsibility'. I need a way to group tasks based on stacks, then on notebook and then on notes.
  • How about notifications of tasks and especially badges on tasks, and stacks/notebooks/notes with tasks.
  • I would like to see tasks of a specific date within the calendar apps (I use fantastical).
  • I would like to have widgets within Evernote and in iOS.
  • Recurring tasks.
  • Attach labels to tasks.

Thanks in advance,

Marc Teutelink

• Like 1

The option Add new task for every note takes a lot of vertical space. Could this be removed and replaced by a small (+) to the right of the note title, please?

• Like 2

This is AWESOME! What I've been waiting for with Evernote for a long time. This will help me get away from using an external task management app and migrate more of my workflow into Evernote. Thank you!

• Like 1

Yeah that would suck if it wasn’t included in the Premium Plan. I have to believe it would be though. Free members might either not get it or get reduced features which is fair. You can’t complain if you pay nothing IMO. 

• Like 1

How do I get rid of TASKS?  It's driving me barmy!

I gave it a go but I already have a very satisfactory system of task organisation in Evernote. This doesn't match it. 

I'm prepared to try again when it's more developed but in the meantime I don't want to keep seeing it. I don't want to have to specify whether I want a new Note or a new Task each time. 

I can't see any way of deleting it. Surely I have a choice?

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Scott T. said:

We received quite a few requests for this as well. We're already exploring better ways to include links (right now if your title has a URL in it, we'll make that clickable). We will also be looking at whether to include text in a task, but with the way Tasks is designed, the task should be living in a note which would contain the context for the task. So a notes field, if included, would likely be very simple. But it's on our radar to look into.

Can you please also add a way to link to another note from a task? I can foresee that being very useful, i.e. the task might properly live in one note but there could be relevant context for the task in another note. Putting a link right in the task would make it very quick and easy to access both notes when one goes to work on the task in the future.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Shane D. said:

Hi all,

Great news! We’re giving everyone early access to our newest feature: Tasks, starting to roll out now and available over the coming weeks on the latest versions of Evernote for desktop, web, and mobile.

We believe that the information you keep in Evernote can work harder to help you achieve your goals. Tasks helps make this happen by allowing you to seamlessly connect your to-dos with the information you need to get them done:

• Manage tasks from a central view or from inside your notes. Changes made in one place automatically show up in the other.

• Connect your tasks to related information in your notes, including web clips, images, documents, and audio files.

• Unlike standard checklists, you can set due dates, reminders, and flags on each of your tasks—so nothing falls through the cracks. 

This forum gives you a place to ask questions and chat with others about Tasks. Feel free to start a thread or reach out to me directly. 

Please keep in mind:

• You'll get all features within Tasks during the Early Access period. But certain features will be limited to specific Evernote plans when Tasks is officially released. 

• Tasks is only available on our new apps and cannot be accessed on legacy clients. But if you’re not ready to make the switch to the new Evernote, you can still try Tasks by installing the latest version of Evernote for Mac or Windows side-by-side with one of our legacy apps. 

To learn more about how Tasks helps you move beyond remembering to accomplish more, check out this blog post from CEO Ian Small.

Thanks for trying out Tasks. We’re excited for all the ways it’ll help you stay on top of your day-to-day.

Take care,

Shane 

This is a game changer, especially the synergy between home and tasks is very promising !

• Like 1

Will you be able to tag Tasks?  Or better yet have Tasks inherited the tags of the notes they are in.  I would like to be able to look at the Tasks view and see the note's name, notebook (which is there today) and tags associated with any given task.  

Today you can filter by "Located In" a Stack, a Notebook or a Note.  I like how it limits the filter to just the items that have Tasks.  Adding tags to the filter by would be helpful too.  The Find Tasks function doesn't seem to find stacks, notebooks

• Like 5

Hi I have a few quick comments (I am on MAC OS)

First - great work.  The implementation is excellent and has lots of potential.

1. Can you provide the option to hide notes that have completed tasks?   For example - I have a single note with the task: * follow up on this with Bob.   Once I've completed the task, I no longer need to see the note, or the task in the task list.   Currently, all I can do is make the task go to the bottom.
  2. Is there a way to make the "add new task" option take up less space?   The vertical list of tasks in the task window is rather spread out.
  3. In evernote webclipper could I assign a task to a web clipping.   For example - I clip an email and put on it a task - follow up with bob on this email.  Currently I have to clip the email, then go to evernote and assign a task.
  4. Any options for different colored flags?   So we could flag for priority etc?
  5. When I click on a task it brings up the note.   Could it be possible to keep the task list in the middle column and show the note in the right hand column?  Currently, the task list goes away and is replaced by the note.   If I am working through tasks doing a quick review it would be nice to click on each task and see the note without losing the task list.   This would be very annoying for a very long task list.

Anyhow - just a few suggestions from someone who's been using EN since 2008!

• Like 5

I am a personal user, not a techie nor a business therefore, I am not tied to my laptop daily. I'm currently using EV as my info storage, ToDoist for task managment, and Google Calendar for scheduling. This new function seems promising but I need it to play nice with Google Calendar as that is what controls my day. I would like to be able to see tasks on the day they are due when viewing my calendar. I'm using ToDoist to link EV to GC but the middleman factor is cumbersome. ToDoist allows me to see the task in my calendar but I cannot directly access EV to retrieve the actual note for follow through. I must click the task and within the task is the link to my EV note. Streamlining this task process would be perfect. If EV task functions were as flexible as ToDoist task functions (snoozing tasks, reminder pop ups in calendar, allow for recurring tasks, etc.) then I'd call it close to nirvana.

On 6/3/2021 at 11:49 AM, Scott T. said:

A Home widget for tasks is coming soon.

On 6/3/2021 at 5:57 PM, Paul A. said:

Putting a link right in the task would make it very quick and easy to access both notes when one goes to work on the task in the future.

I firmly second these suggestions!

• Like 3

Please add the ability to disable this feature.

Adding this feature makes Evernote less useful and doesn't help me. 

While I do capture action items in Evernote especially during meetings, it doesn't help me at all to keep them here.

I use Todoist to manage my tasks and they are organized completely differently than my Notes. I have integrations with a lot of systems (including Evernote but also my CRM, LMS, WordPress site, etc). I have a lot of recurring tasks.  I have them organized into projects and tagged in various ways so that I can optimize my days.  I heavily use the new Kanban style view of projects in Todoist to keep track of things like podcast episodes and sales leads.

It would take Evernote a lot of development effort to reach the same level of integration and functionality.

Some - but not all - of these have corresponding notebooks in Evernote.  I don't want those notebooks cluttered up with tasks that just make it harder to find the stuff I want to have in a tool like Evernote.

I also have a rapidly-growing Evernote library around my projects, etc. and I don't want to clutter up Evernote by adding everything else I'd need to manage tasks here — and the last thing I want are dual systems!

• Thanks 1

I love this!

I use a Mac and GTD.   I've been using Evernote for my GTD system (with Stacey Harmon's "EverDone" framework) because I didn't want to have both a task manager and Evernote.  The system is completely functional but required some pretty significant upkeep to keep pristine track of Next Actions.  With this update, I feel I can give up daydreaming about switching back to a task manager.

This is what I've come up with to manage Next Actions:  I have project management (PM) pages in my project notebooks.  These usually contain the goal, maybe a timeline, brainstorming, links to other items in the notebook, and, importantly, a checklist of things to do.  When I am ready to make one of those checklist items (e.g., Experiment with Tasks in Evernote) an actual Next Action (meaning I intend to act on it within the next week or two), I type the Context at the beginning of that line (e.g., @Computer: Experiment with Tasks in Evernote), then convert the checklist line into a Task (Insert-Task).  Then, when I go into Tasks, I can search @Computer, and it will bring up all the tasks I have labeled as Next Actions that can be accomplished at my computer.  Brilliant!

The only downside I've seen so far is that when you convert to a Task, it breaks any URL links that might be on that line.  I'm hoping this is a known issue that will be corrected.

The other downside: It's not on iOS yet, but I assume that's coming soon.

Thanks, truly!!!  😊

Keri

pic of sample task in EN.jpg

• Like 2

Tasks are great - and I appreciate its early days. Three requests though
1. Parent and child tasks would be great since some tasks may have multiple tasks 
2. Great if you could insert tasks into Evernote tables - since that currently is where our business creates templates from, for the team. And track conversations.
3. Great when you hit the task, it takes you not just to the note, but where you inserted the task request within the note, important if note is long and complex

thanks

W

• Like 5
1 hour ago, André said:

Connect tasks to Google Calendar and other agendas for both due and notification date/time.

Excellent and essential suggestion!!! I currently use Cronofy, but would be so much better to have a direct integration. Furthermore, Cronofy only works on the not reminder, of course, not on the new task features. 

• Level 5*
On 6/4/2021 at 11:16 AM, Sam Jensen said:

Or better yet have Tasks inherited the tags of the notes they are in.

This, plus recurring tasks, and a way to create task saved searches using different criteria, would flesh this out for me.

• Like 3

Could the link in the sidebar open a full page list of tasks, rather than the pop-up, please? Preferably, in a table with sort and filter options. Various viewing options, similar to the notes lists, could be useful.

• Like 3
On 6/4/2021 at 12:15 AM, aljjj said:

Hi!

Very interesting feature. I am wondering, will we be able to put tags in every task? 

Thanks!

I agree. this would be a good way to categorize to do items. 

WOW!  I must admit i was a bit ambivalent about "Tasks" but after only two days experimenting with it it has transformed my entire workflow.  I have been an Everote user since 2011 and must say that the changes mad over the past 18mths have made it more and more productive to the extent I would struggle with it.

• Like 3

Unwanted and unnecessary for me. EN getting in the way.

- Please provide the options to disable / hide

- ESPECIALLY in the "new' button. The '+' should exclusively be for a new note; the down arrow / drop down should offer any alternates.

Evernote is, for me at least, at its best when it does simple things really well. I was logging into my desktop version to resolve a synch issue (mercifully once again quite rare) and got trapped in the tasks 'upgrade'. Do the basics flawlessly, if you have to bloat let us opt out.

• Level 5

Patience is probably as unevenly distributed as wealth ...

We are in an early access stage with Tasks, this means the first public trial, not even release level. But EN is late with everything ...

Both recurring reminders and calendar integration have been asked during the early access run - if you search a little, you can add your vote to these feature requests.

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
3 hours ago, PinkElephant said:
  • iOS widget or an entry to the icon drop down menu, to be able to drop a quick reminder without a need to ramp up the app
  • Apple Watch app, with the possibility of set a quick note / quick reminder gadget as complication on the watch face

We received a number of requests during beta for quick capture of tasks. I've added your request for Apple Watch support to our document tracking feedback.

2 hours ago, ABEN said:

That's why the ability to set the order of the areas (Home, Shortcuts, Tasks, Notes, Notesbooks, Tags, Shared, etc.) would be a huge step forward in Evernote (because some users also want to have, let’s say, 'Tags' displayed above 'Shortcuts', for example...).

I passed this feedback on to the client team. One suggestion might be to use the minimal icon view (assuming you are talking about desktop). That lets you get a pop-out of your shortcuts, but still see all the icons. On mobile, that's not an option, unfortunately. Another option would be to always collapse your shortcuts nav bar, but then I suppose that's an extra click to uncollapse.

2 hours ago, rmw said:

Will it be possible to have notes area to paste web link or note link?

We received quite a few requests for this as well. We're already exploring better ways to include links (right now if your title has a URL in it, we'll make that clickable). We will also be looking at whether to include text in a task, but with the way Tasks is designed, the task should be living in a note which would contain the context for the task. So a notes field, if included, would likely be very simple. But it's on our radar to look into.

• Thanks 5
  • Ex Employees

@MosesGTC We're slow rolling the auto-updates for existing users, but if you want to update yourself, you can go download from our website or the mobile app stores. Let me know if you continue to not see Tasks.

• Thanks 2

This is really great - been playing with it for hours.  First problem I've encountered is when sharing a note containing Task Items (see Atch1) via a Shared URL Link, the Task Due Date information does not show up in the browser view (see Atch2).  Thanks..... 

Atch1.jpg

Atch2.jpg

• Like 2

This is probably the feature that I can finally move to v10.  I have been using tags/shortcuts to manage my tasks for GTD, applying the TSW methods.  v10 is not easy to navigate/manoeuvre fast between different tags/shortcuts.

With Tasks, I might be able to drop tags/shortcuts to manage my tasks for GTD.

Thanks.  

• Like 1
  • Ex Employees
1 hour ago, mv1234 said:

Hi - How do I LEAVE / DISABLE the early access on Tasks please? I accidentally said yes and now cannot see the option to disable this. I am on the MacOS client - Thank you 

The Tasks functionality is built into the app and isn't anything you can leave or disable. Do you have a concern with it being there?

• Like 3
21 hours ago, gatorbrit said:

This looks great - just exploring it.   Is there a way to pin tasks to the home page?

Evernote have suggested that they might build a Task widget in the future but in the meantime I recommend Pinning the automated ‘Things To Do’ task note to your Home. 

There is also some handy information here about ‘Tasks’ including some FAQs. https://help.evernote.com/hc/en-us/articles/1500003920602-Tasks-Early-Access

Edited by metroside
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Sam Jensen said:

Will you be able to tag Tasks?  Or better yet have Tasks inherited the tags of the notes they are in.  I would like to be able to look at the Tasks view and see the note's name, notebook (which is there today) and tags associated with any given task.  

Today you can filter by "Located In" a Stack, a Notebook or a Note.  I like how it limits the filter to just the items that have Tasks.  Adding tags to the filter by would be helpful too.  The Find Tasks function doesn't seem to find stacks, notebooks

I wondered this as well.  For example, I need to be able to use a #waitingfor tag on things.   I found that you can just add the words #waitingfor on to the end of the task and then filter them.   It works pretty well.

• Thanks 1

Shane - thanks for the update! Quick question. iOS TestFlight is still 10.10. Should I update to production build (10.11?) or will that TestFlight build continue to be updated and stay on a "beta track", if you will?

• Ex Employees
6 minutes ago, ColinScatter said:

iOS TestFlight is still 10.10. Should I update to production build (10.11?) or will that TestFlight build continue to be updated and stay on a "beta track", if you will?

Since the TestFlight app is a separate app, it won't get an update to the production version. You should switch to using the main App Store build (10.11).

Great feature and I love the suggestions being made. Please add to the list an attribute for tasks assigned to others or waiting on from others. This will allow filtering so that Tasks I am responsible for can be separated from those I am waiting for others to complete. 

Thanks for the good work!

• Level 5*
15 minutes ago, shekala said:

Please add to the list an attribute for tasks assigned to others or waiting on from others. This will allow filtering so that Tasks I am responsible for can be separated from those I am waiting for others to complete. 

I currently use the Tags attribute for this.   
I'd like to see this attribute added to the new Tasks feature

• Like 2
19 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

By installing the actual client - mobile 10.11, desktop 10.15. When updated you get the tasks trial on first login.

Thanks. Did just that. Strangely the MacOS version jumps from 10.14.7 to 10.15.6. Had to download the delta installer from Evernote directly and reinstall.

Strange behaviour with iOS app versions. Go to my App store and look at Evernote version and it just has the "Open"  button and not the newest version,  but if I search for it in the App store as if "new" it shows update.

Weird. Ciao

• Level 5

@rootdr For the Mac is it advisable to get the latest download always from the EN web site. The AppStore version is identical, but runs in a sandbox. This can cause problems. 10.14.7 is the direct predecessor of 10.15.6 - there is no version in between. The last number is no release counter - no idea what it stands for.

On iOS it is normal when you go to the AppStore you only see an „open“. Updates are listed when you click on your account icon top right, beside the „Today“ header. Then the list of open updates appears (depending on your settings, if auto-update or not is set). The new release was available from the AppStore right away when the announcement here in the forum was posted.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for this feature. It will be very helpful for me.

Wonder if it's possible to set a task/note to repeat every X days/week?

Use case e.g: A Task to "remind to read The Economist every Friday", then i will see the note.. Read the magazine and take notes in Evernote.

Thank you!

• Like 1
  • Level 5

When you can’t reach the button, you probably have enlarged your text size. Either in settings - display & brightness, or in settings-accessibility. Set it to a smaller text size, and you can confirm and quit the tasks announcement .

After you did, you can return it to the prior settings.

Edit: There are languages where setting a smaller text alone will not do the job. Then switch the system language to Englisch, do the dialogue and tutorial, and return to your original settings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 6/4/2021 at 3:43 PM, Scott T. said:

Since the TestFlight app is a separate app, it won't get an update to the production version. You should switch to using the main App Store build (10.11).

Got it, thank you!

On 6/5/2021 at 3:42 AM, Salem Gonzo said:

How do You think what design I would prefer..?

Oh why

Снимок экрана 2021-06-05 в 03.33.55.png

Снимок экрана 2021-06-05 в 03.34.08.png

Mmm I loved the little clipper window so much. It was very friendly for fleeting thoughts! Maybe You can add custom size of clip? Like any other window — cursor on angle for example 😇

I welcome Tasks, but have a minor problem on the Web version. Let's suppose I added a task to a paragraph in a note - with other words, marked the paragraph as a task. What if I would like to modify it, e.g. I realised that not the appropriate paragraph was marked? Simply undoing it is good only if I remember precisely what I modified in the note since adding the task. Is there a solution, or is it a development issue?

The app on my iphone is now stuck with the Task intro about getting early access. I've turned off the iphone. I deleted the app and re-loaded it. Nothing helps. It is still stuck on that intro page. I use the app throughout the day and now I can't even access it. Please help.

On 6/6/2021 at 11:05 AM, PinkElephant said:

When you can’t reach the button, you probably have enlarged your text size. Either in settings - display & brightness, or in settings-accessibility. Set it to a smaller text size, and you can confirm and quit the tasks announcement .

After you did, you can return it to the prior settings.

This helped my issue.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
5 hours ago, André said:

I like the separation of due date and reminders.

Agreed    
However I'm still storing due date using the reminder feature    
I'll switch when due date is added to the search grammar

5 minutes ago, DTLow said:

Agreed    
However I'm still storing due date using the reminder feature    
I'll switch when due date is added to the search grammar

Indeed, there are more features missing from the search grammar.

It's nice to set a reminder automatically to occur at (or before) the due date. And then you can add more reminders for working on a task.

• Level 5

It opens like this in the Mac v10 client when I click on the down arrow beside the new note button.

But it goes away when I click somewhere else in the EN window.

If it doesn't, maybe try support, either by chat or by a ticket.

• Ex Employees

@lhodges26 @PDrew Can you please answer a few questions for me?

1. What platform you are using? This seems to be occurring only on Windows, from what we've seen
  2. Was your navigation bar collapsed to just show icons? That's the only way I have been able to reproduce this so far.
  3. Did this happen right after you had the Tasks on-boarding experience?
  4. If you restart your app, does the problem go away? 

Answering the questions will help me with reproducing and prioritizing the issue. Thank you!

• Like 1

Hiya-
1.Windows 10. 
2. The navigation bar. might. have. been. Icons only. Not sure at this point.
3. This happened right after installing the update with Tasks, so I guess yes. There was the checklist feature box bottom left. A little confusing as to whether that was a tutorial or feature.
4. Restarting the app does not help. In addition, reopening the app selects the "Shared With Me" window, which is new behavior. 

I have not tried restarting the computer as I am in the middle of work.
Hope this helps!   Andrew

• Thanks 1
  • Ex Employees

Thanks @PDrew. Your feedback was helpful. It appears to be an issue with the Tasks walkthrough when users have their navigation collapsed to just show icons. This is causing the walkthrough to stop while that menu is open, causing it to not be closable. Either quitting the app or signing out and in should hopefully solve the issue for most users. But we're looking to see if we can prevent other users from having the issue in the meantime while we make the right fix in the code. 

I played around with this feature today and really like it...two things you need to do to make it as easy as To Do to use: 1) make recurring tasks available; and 2) make it possible to put notes within tasks. 

On 6/4/2021 at 11:47 AM, Scott T. said:

The Tasks functionality is built into the app and isn't anything you can leave or disable. Do you have a concern with it being there?

I'd also like to remove Tasks from the sidebar. I will never ever ever use it. It is just more visual noise.

• Like 1

Ok, I got rid of it by signing out of Evernote and checking the box to remove data from this computer.  Then rebooted the computer, got a big Win 10 update, signed in again to Evernote, but this time, when the tutorial window introducing the Evernote "Tasks" update appeared, I clicked, "Maybe Later".

Thank you lhodges26 for posting the partial solution.  You didn't include the computer reboot step.

• Like 1

Liked the Behind the Scenes thing they just did on Tasks on YouTube. Sounds like this is a high priority for EN and I’m glad to hear it. Would love to not use an outside task manager and for me this is almost there. I will dump Things 3 if a couple more pieces are added. (Recurring and Snooze). Recurring based on completed date would be awesome but not being picky here. 

This functionality is “sticky” as well meaning it will glue users to the platform. 

• Like 2
10 hours ago, silentquest said:

Liked the Behind the Scenes thing they just did on Tasks on YouTube. Sounds like this is a high priority for EN and I’m glad to hear it. Would love to not use an outside task manager and for me this is almost there. I will dump Things 3 if a couple more pieces are added. 

Same for me. I was trying to use EN for my whole GTD setup for ages and always gravitated towards separate task managers after some months fiddling with complex tag systems, reminders etc. I always wanted to use one app for everything and now EN is getting close to it. 

I personally need tags more than anything else that has already been mentioned.

In addition to that some features that have nothing to do with tasks directly, but things that will return the iOS native experience again (Force Touch to create new note/task, iOS widgets, Apple Watch support, some UX improvements …). 

As soon as those things are available, I am happy to get rid of everything else and rely on EN for my external brain. 

Em 11/06/2021 at 10:13, bmcl26 disse:

WOW!  I must admit i was a bit ambivalent about "Tasks" but after only two days experimenting with it it has transformed my entire workflow.  I have been an Everote user since 2011 and must say that the changes mad over the past 18mths have made it more and more productive to the extent I would struggle with it.

Yes. Tasks was a breakthrough in my workflow as well. 

We had a cumbersome process for letting people know they had things to do in notes, using tags for a person, filters, and an automation in slack + zappier. 

now we can throw all this away. Tasks just simplified this process by a lot. 

I am unable to upload a screenshot of the issue after I installed the Task update.  But there is a small pop-up over my nav bar and notes list on the left. It is blocking my view of notes names at the top. and I can't access the buttons under it on the nav bar. how can I delete or hide it?

One issue I am having is my reminders are showing up way ahead of time. Many of them 1 month or more ahead of when they should. Haven’t figured this out yet. I’ve obviously checked my dates and reminder dates. For example several due August 1 went off today. This has been happening with different ones for about a week. I thought it was an anomaly at first. Anyone else?

Please make hyperlinks to external sites and internal Evernote pages work in the Tasks text in the note.

Now when I assign the task to the text in the note with the links, the links disappear.

Overall, Tasks is a great new feature. Thanks for the Tasks!

1 hour ago, sany said:

I have no words for the mediocrity that evernote has sunk to

I do not agree with this assessment. I think EN is getting better and I’m happy with the progress so far. As said above bugs will happen and anyone who uses software understands that. Tasks is still of great value to me. I’m excited about the current and future direction of EN. No I don’t work for them. Haha. If you don’t agree simply use a different app. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, silentquest said:

I do not agree with this assessment. I think EN is getting better and I’m happy with the progress so far. As said above bugs will happen and anyone who uses software understands that. Tasks is still of great value to me. I’m excited about the current and future direction of EN. No I don’t work for them. Haha. If you don’t agree simply use a different app. 

Agree that Evernote, finally, is getting better, again, and catching up with the competition. There is improvement in stability, performance and features, lately. I'm getting more and more happy, again.

The notice I got this morning says that Tasks is free, for now. Is this like one of those temporarily free subscriptions where they get your payment information, then later on, you're paying for it unless you cancel it? 😞
I actually don't have any use for a task management feature, not at all. I've been happily using other task management software for many years. So when I saw the notice about it on my phone this morning, I said, "Nope. Not for me." Unfortunately, Evernote didn't let me start up the software without clicking yes. I kept restarting it over and over, tried and tried to get Evernote started without clicking that. There was no escaping that dialog box, no way to simply start Evernote without it. Eventually, I think I accidentally did accept. Arrgh!
So.. have I inadvertently signed up for a paid feature that I do NOT want?

P.S. I have a Premium account.

• Level 5

You are using Excel ?

Depending on how you count, the Windows version of Excel has more than 400 functions. How many of them do you actually use ? 

Oh, 30. OK, now go and ask Microsoft for a refund, since you use less than 10% of what they mistakenly coded into the software …

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Level 5

The current status is that Tasks is a new feature still under development. The current early release is like a public beta, free for all.

From the information on the EN help site subscribers will retain the full functionality. Basic users will keep basic task functions, some more advanced functions stay reserved for subscribers.

EN needs to release a first productive version, then we will learn what in detail that means.

If you don’t need it, nobody forces you to use it.

To Pink Elephant:
I wasn't complaining about being "forced" to use a feature, of course not, LOL....

I was wondering if I would be charged more money for that feature when it becomes a paid feature. That's a very reasonable question, I think. The notification I got this morning didn't make that clear, so I posted on the forum to get clarification, a bit of friendly help.

• Like 1