Too many useless changes

It seems to me that every time you have a new release, you try and fix something that doesn't need it.

Some examples:

For years the tag button has been on the top next to the notebook where I could enter the tag,  now it's been moved to the bottom with a more complex usage where it seems I have to enter the tag, then apply it.  Not an improvement, just a confusing change.

Sorting a list of tags - used to be able to do that - no longer.

Having a "Print to Evernote" option in the PDF print option list on a Mac.  Doesn’t work.

Tiny font sizes on note lists and can't change it.

Unkept promises like folder watch.  You have been talking about that for years.  And now that I can no longer "Print to Evernote", that becomes more important.

I think that you folks are just making changes that don't really improve the product, you really have to look at each change and ask "does this really add functionality or enhance the user experience or is it just moving the deck chairs on the Titanic".   If it aint' broke - don't fix it.  If it works, don't break it.  A guiding rule for "enhancements" should be "leave the user no worse off than before"

I have been a premium evernote user for years and find the constant updates, with little added basic functionality, and quite often confusing changes that don't really do anything really annoying.

Seriously looking at other choices.  Fortunately, they are out there.

"

• Like 1
  • Level 5

This is not looking at the apps we used for years, and try to advance them a little bit. If you followed the communication in the past, they had grown to a complexity that was stopping improvements. How many releases did we have prior to v10 ? Hardly any !

The EN management decided to push the reset button, and start from scratch.

IMHO discussing changes compared to the old clients and whether we like them or not is beside the point. V10 is the platform from which EN will evolve. Everything before it is already history.

The basics of design and functionality are in plain view, to be seen and tried. I read the situation as like it or leave it.

• Like 3
15 hours ago, GDad said:

or years the tag button has been on the top next to the notebook where I could enter the tag,  now it's been moved to the bottom with a more complex usage where it seems I have to enter the tag, then apply it.  Not an improvement, just a confusing change.

In one of the many videos Evernote produced about EN10, Ian Small interviewed one of their UX designers. They talked about this specific change at length. Personally, I wasn't a fan of the change either, but as @PinkElephant mentions, this is where EN will evolve from.  I have developed the "muscle memory" of the shortcut keys (on both Windows and Mac) and now their location in the display is a non-factor for me.  Was it an initial challenge - yes, but now I'm on to the next challenge.

Speaking of the video with their UX designer, I shared that with the equivalent where I work. He was impressed with the data-driven approach to decision making. He (my colleague) internalized a statement made in that video, "Delivery velocity - the lifeblood of innovation".

• Like 1

Hey Evernote, you did it to me again.  I updated and now my note preview is under the note list.  It used to be at the right, where I wanted it.  Why would you change it?  Why not leave it where I had it?  And I can't figure out how to set it back.

I'm done - DevonThink here I come. 

• Like 2

And it keeps getting worse ....

You used to click on the note name to move the note.  Some genius decided that doing that now will take you to another notebook.  So now you have to click on the little icon (I was supposed to figure that out by myself of course) to move.  And the list that used to come up was just like the list in the sidebar - some other genius decided that it should be sorted, so all my 20147 stacks and notes come up first forcing me to scroll, and scroll, and scroll ...., down to my 2021 stacks.  Again, more useless changes.

• Level 5

Oh, yes, they need to do something with the app, it is in complete stalemate (2019), but beware, don’t change anything I am used to (2021).

You can’t bake an omelette without breaking a few eggs ! You can’t renew an app without touching the user interface.

Now for moving: Yes, you click on that icon. It is right beside the current notebook name, IMHO a logical place for that function. The box with the notebooks opens.

Now you type the first 1-2-3 letters of the notebook. The list gets shorter with every letter. Found it ? Click, done.

Different: Yes. Badly designed: I think no.

Why are there no stacks ? Because Stacks are no places where you can move a note. A note needs to be moved into a notebook, never into a stack.

• Like 1