Table of Contents/Indexing

I have used Table of Contents to help organize notes so that I can quickly find things. But I was surprised to see this is no longer supported, creating a quick table of contents. How are people now organizing their notes - particularly those who were using table of contents? I'm finding that I am now spending more time scrolling, searching, scrolling, and not able to put my fingers on a note. Any workarounds?

• Level 5

Very simple - they use a table of content …

Select the notes you want to include, and create links (works in one go for all selected)

Copy them into the first note, or create a new note for the TOC, and paste them there

If the TOC contains more than 50 notes, repeat the procedure in batches of 50 notes, because currently in v10 you can’t select more in one go.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Level 5*
21 minutes ago, TimothyState said:

I'm not seeing that... it used to say 'create table of contents note', but now what is it listed as?

There's no ToC menu item   305229886_ScreenShot2021-06-02at09_06_23.png.84abd1698fcc519356c03609c67dc302.png
Just select notes > copy links then paste into a new note

(Screenshot from my Mac)

• Thanks 2
  • Level 5

Desktop app:

Select the notes you want in the TOC

At the bottom of the screen there is a little menu bar now. Click on the 3 dots

Select copy internal links - copy app-links

Go to the note to hold the TOC, or create a new one, click paste.

Done

Not available in the web client or on mobile.

27 minutes ago, PinkElephant said:

Copy them into the first note, or create a new note for the TOC, and paste them there

If you paste them into a numbered list you get numbers as well. You can then drag the items around to whatever order you like and it will automatically renumber.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Level 5*
19 hours ago, TimothyState said:

I'm not seeing that... it used to say 'create table of contents note', but now what is it listed as?

Hi. Before the table of contents option, we selected a bunch of notes, copied the note links, and pasted those into a note. In my opinion. that was never terribly difficult, so the table of contents option was nice, but not necessary. Give it a try, and I think you’ll find it is pretty easy to do. I often link up clusters of notes this way by appending the list of note links to the end of each note, creating a kind of mini wiki of related content within your database.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, GrumpyMonkey said:

Hi. Before the table of contents option, we selected a bunch of notes, copied the note links, and pasted those into a note. In my opinion. that was never terribly difficult, so the table of contents option was nice, but not necessary. Give it a try, and I think you’ll find it is pretty easy to do. I often link up clusters of notes this way by appending the list of note links to the end of each note, creating a kind of mini wiki of related content within your database.

Sure, that doesn't seem difficult at all..depending on the size of the Notebook you want to have a TOC for! For a few hundred, 50 at a time is just a few minutes of sorting where you left off for each set of 50 links you can copy. My most used notebook has over 1500 notes, I would prefer we had the TOC feature back so that I didn't have to copy 50 links each time.

• Like 1
  • Level 5

There are limitations …

AFAIK the TOC tool was not designed to create a TOC of an entire notebook. I can always see this list of note titles live, by clicking on the notebook in the side panel. 

If you NEED it, install legacy with the old TOC feature.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
1 hour ago, macneilpi said:

Sure, that doesn't seem difficult at all..depending on the size of the Notebook you want to have a TOC for! For a few hundred, 50 at a time is just a few minutes of sorting where you left off for each set of 50 links you can copy. My most used notebook has over 1500 notes, I would prefer we had the TOC feature back so that I didn't have to copy 50 links each time.

I agree that the limit imposed on how many notes you can select at any one time is a barrier. We’ve got another thread where I weigh in on that issue. In fact, the senseless restriction is one of the reasons I am still using the Legacy app. While I don’t have a strong affinity for the toc feature (it just streamlines an already easy workflow), in principle I am unhappy that a feature that was requested, was developed and promoted by Evernote, was used (at least by me), and was never (?) complained about was stripped out for no apparent reason. I think whatever decision making process led to the abandonment of this feature, but the imposition of a note selection limit, needs to be overhauled.

But, in the end, as Pink Elephant has suggested, it is what it is. With any app, I recommend tailoring your workflow for what it is, not what we want it nto be. Legacy, as the name implies, is abandonware. The new Evernote is the shape of things to come (a BSG reference here for fans of the show). The situation may improve, but we cannot count on it, so its best to assume the feature is gone and adapt.

One thing that has helped me over the years is to having a consistent naming scheme. Random organizational codes have also helped. Combine these two and a saved search will basically create the same effect as a toc (in its crudest form). An added benefit of this is that the organizational scheme is future proof and quite handy if you ever export out of Evernote. I’ve written about it ad nauseum on the forums if you want to read more.

• Like 1
  • Level 5*
4 hours ago, TimothyState said:

Thanks, all! I got it to work.  What was an obvious step is now buried and not intuitive... who would have every thought "copy app links" = "table of contents"? Many thanks. Tim.

So it does exist. Thanks for discovering that and letting us know!

• Like 1