Have notebooks, lost all notes - how to restore ?

After an EN upgrade last night, I appear to have the names of my Notebooks and the number of notes they should contain. But all notes have "gone".

Still available on Web. - but no syncing taking place. 

Where does the local EN database live on a Mac laptop , and its name? Will try to restore from Time Machine. 

Or how do i force a synchronise with Web version ?  ( There is no Sync button visible on laptop app). 

Thanks 

Tried logging out and restarting Mac. 

No change on Mac - can see all Notebook headings and (greyed out) number of notes. But all Notebooks contain zero notes. 

Trying to connect to Web Version now have perpetual rotating green circle.........

Getting worrying now. 

Anyone know the name/location  of the local (Mac) EN database? Should be able to restore from Time Machine from a few days ago - before the upgrade. 

....time ticking by..... :(

• Level 5*

Hi again - worst case,  simply uninstall the app,  restart your system,  and reinstall from Evernote.com.  Your main database is on the server and will be restored from there.  Any temporary copy stored on your hard drive can't be "restored" as a backup - it's a snapshot of the system status at the time it was last saved.  There's a risk that notes created recently didn't make it to the server,  but you can check via the website to see whether or not you're up to date.  If these notes are essential to you,  it's worth pointing out that subscribers (even if only joining for a month or two) have access to Evernote Support...

Appreciate your input. Guess I will try this - but restarting my laptop is not a trivial process..........

The online / web version still has the endessly spinning green wheel - for hours now. Would be nice to know if I and / or my notes still exist on the EN server ? 

Slightly mystified as to how EN works in off-line mode if it doesn't hold a local copy of the "Notes". Guess I ought to export them all one of these days - if I get back to them. 

Thanks again. 

• Like 1
  • Level 5

Since you are on a Basic account, you have a device limit of 2. Logging into a 3rd may result in a blocked login, with an endless „trying to …“ message. The web client is counted as a device of its own.

Offline content on the Mac is only kept when the switch in settings is set. Since it does not use the local data when online, I see it as not transparent as well. When being offline it is too late to find out .. 

I am running the legacy client in parallel to v10, which is sort of difficult with a Basic account.

• Like 1

OK - online version working in Google on Mac, and on web browser on another laptop PC.   Doesn't work in Safari on Mac..... Weird. 

Still no synchronisation from online version to Mac app. Just notebooks - no notes..........

I have to believe that there is an offline database somewhere on the Mac. How does one work offline - if the full set of notebooks / notes aren't stored offline ? 

I am using one MacBook, and (very) rarely use the Web version. Nothing else. Has been fine for 10 years...........suddenly all the Notes go on the MacBook - following an "upgrade".  Really don't see how subscribing will magically fix this.........But thanks for the pointer. 

• Level 5

Go to your account, and check devices. Sometimes there is an old device still authorized, sometimes there may be an issue with different browsers. Just make sure it is 2, not more.

You can come back when you checked this, and it was not the cause.

My account is showing registration for 1 physical device (Macbook) and the web version. 

I notice that when it asks to verify password - there appears to be a potential difference between a password associated with my Evernote Username and with my email address. (?) 

Notebooks still showing in MacBook app - but no notes. 

Same Notebooks - show on web version - but with notes. 

• Level 5

Weird - no further idea how to fix it except a clean start:

Maybe unsync your Mac client, then make a full uninstall on the Mac (use the App Appcleaner to get rid of everything), then restart the Mac, get the direct download of EN from the web site, reinstall and log in.

Sorry - being dumb:  Can't see where to Unsync........(?) 

...BTW - have you seen this - just received on Twitter: 

Evernote Helps (@evernotehelps) tweeted at 6:23 pm on Wed, Jun 02, 2021:
Hi there! We made a decision to discontinue support for local notebooks. So you can start using the new app right away, I recommend converting your local notebooks to synced notebooks. To learn more, visit https://t.co/697l8XFR1r. Let us know if we can further assist! /JL https://t.co/8CsjKITdv3
(https://twitter.com/evernotehelps/status/1400140993245106182?s=03)

Whole thing falling apart now. Emptied the Trash (load of blank notes) - now locked into a continuous cycle (see attachment) of Quit or Restart......doesn't do either. 

1470128952_ScreenShot2021-06-02at19_01_11.png.064057b0f306de8b721694427402cec9.png

• Level 5

Depends on what clients you have available.

For direct access use Evernote.com, login, go to your account settings and choose the devices tab. You can unsync there.

On a mobile client go to settings, account, devices. You can unsync any device directly in the mobile client.

ok - uninstalled Evernote, then  downloaded and re-installed. 

Automatically re-synchronised on logging in to account. All notebooks and notes back. 

Thanks for your help. 

(some really strange behaviour before I uninstalled.....loads of Evernote symbols in Dock - suggesting multiple Evernotes running !!) 

• Level 5

You can check it in the activity monitor. There will be a bunch of „Evernote helper“ processes running, for whatever purpose. They all belong to the app, and are activated while using it.

Glad it is working again.