Evernote freezes when alternating tab to other program

Go to solution Solved by CalS,

Hi there,

I have version 10.14.7.

Since a while back (I have done like 3 updates since then maybe) evernote freezes and it is AFAIK only when I am alternating between it and another program. But when it happens I have to close it down and open it again. Then it works fine.

I don't know how to find out how many notes I have in total, in case that affects the result. I don't think the following is possible in v.10 since they removed the options menu, or am I mistaken? I for example cannot try the things quoted below, taken from a post in the following forum discussion https://discussion.evernote.com/forums/topic/117152-constant-freezing-in-evernote/

On 10/30/2018 at 7:07 PM, CalS said:

Also,

1. Set your sync to 10 minutes or more under Tools - Options - Synchronization.
  2. Set Automatically save edited note to 300 seconds or more under Tools - Options - Note.
  3. Turn off Show context if it is enabled on the same Note panel in options.

You can always click on the sync button if you want to force a sync, or press F9.

Other options, like "purging" notes or , like suggested in the thread above, also needs access to the options menu.

I have so far done a reinstall, but it hasn't helped. I can send an activity log if it helps. Also, if related, oftentimes hyperlinks don't open. Sometimes they do a good while after clicking and then switching to the browser and doing things there for a while (at that point the new tab might show up).

Please let me know if there is anything I've forgot.

• Level 5*
  • Solution

The above quote only works with old EN. 

You can go back to the legacy version for the time being if you like until EN gets this sorted.  I am still using 6.25.1 waiting for some level of functional and speed equivalence.  Not a strategy for everyone though.

• Level 5

There is a view (or something like this) menu. You can toggle the number of notes in total and per notebook in the left column on and off there.

About the freezing: Probably it tries to sync in this very moment you draw the carpet under its feet. Hard to tell, v10 is not really transparent in its doing.

• Level 5*
7 hours ago, a_weierstrass said:

I think I saw another one of your posts suggesting that so it's exactly what I did. It's been working great so far. Thanks for the quick reply.

You are welcome.

On 5/31/2021 at 9:35 PM, PinkElephant said:

There is a view (or something like this) menu. You can toggle the number of notes in total and per notebook in the left column on and off there.

About the freezing: Probably it tries to sync in this very moment you draw the carpet under its feet. Hard to tell, v10 is not really transparent in its doing,

Ah, I see. It's around 4500 notes so it's probably not the cause. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I am still suffering from this issue, and the solution of using an old Evernote Release is not actually a solution as it restricts me to old clients.

Is there any solution for people still sufferent from this issue nowadays?

Thanks, sorry for ressurecting the thread, but I face exactly the same problem.

• Level 5

When nobody posted for more than a year now, I would not expect this issue to be wide spread.

When it happens next time, I would jot down what I did (change to which app, last action in EN, system situation, network quality, whatever may be helpful), save the activity log and then contact support. Use the same device where it happened and send the activity log when asked.